Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new cold air intake for my 3.... but whenever it seems to rain water seems to seep through the filter and end up you know where.... it triggers my mass air flow sensor.... and the check engine light comes on.... i was told to buy an aem bypass valve... i did so and installed it to specifications, but i am still having the same problem.... any suggestions???

·
Registered
34 Posts
bypass valves really shouldn't be necessary -- they only work when the intake is fully submerged. Is yours a sedan or hatch? There are threads about ppl with sedans where water drips from the hood onto the CAI, and I believe there is a remedy somewhere.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Or just wait an hour because that's how long it takes for HouRman to show...

j/k

I got the outerwear for my fujita F5 and it's basically just a sock that wraps around the filter.

Water beads on the plastic, they state that it's treated chemically and needs replacing every so often.

This is why I'd probably want the hydro shield because I'm not spending $20 every 5K miles or so on a new outerwear. heh

So far no problems at all with mine and my cars never been garaged and it's been in quite a few down pours.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Are you using the stock blue filter that came with the f5? I'm trying to find out if the it's same filter for both the f5 and f2, because I'd like to buy a hydro shield. I just don't know where to find one and which one would fit the fujitas properly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i just recently bought a heat sheild to use.... but no matter what is still seems to attrack water ( they need to make one that completely surrounds the filter) ..... I think i will try the hydro sock thing.... that should help for 5k....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Or just get the Mazdaspeed one which has a huge metal sheild surrounding the fiter. I am sure the Mazda boys did lots of testing with water to make sure none got in there.

I have an AEM right now, and I am looking to upgrade to the Mazdaspeed unit soon. I am tired of water getting in the intake and setting of the MIL.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Isn't the mazdaspeed just a rebranded AEM? Any idea where we can pick up the MS shield? Dealer-only?

·
Registered
92 Posts
[quote author=MZ3FRS link=topic=73273.msg1304283#msg1304283 date=1175406810]
Isn't the mazdaspeed just a rebranded AEM? Any idea where we can pick up the MS shield? Dealer-only?
[/quote]

No, it is very different, and you can not add the mazdaspeed sheild to the AEM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.