Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, I just got off the phone with my local dealership and would like to hear from our other Canadian owners with regards to this. I inquired about the availability of mazdaspeed parts for the speed 3 and at the same time wanted confirmation that there would be no affect on the warranty.

The phone call I got said in effect, there was timetable for parts if/when they will show up, and further, ANY performance modification to the car (such as cai, exhaust) would TOTALLY void ALL warranty on the vehicle as it would be assumed the car was being 'raced' in a competative atmosphere and since any racing voids all warranty, the mere installation of said part would hence void the warranty. When I asked about suspension upgrades I was again told that all warranty is void at that point, and has always been the case.... I requested a copy of the correspondence be mailed to me, and sent off an email to mazdacanada requesting written confirmation of the above.

I realize that in the USA, it is up to the dealership to clearly prove that the performace part installed caused a failure elsewhere in the vehicle. (Again, it was mentioned that in Canada, it's up to ME to prove the part did NOT cause a failure elsewhere...)

Now, I'm not at all familiar with Canadian law regarding this matter, so I'm asking all our fellow Canadian owners to please reply with whatever information you know, or have obtained from mazda Canada or your local dealer on this.

thanks in advance,

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
If a dealer in canada is selling you a mazda part that is warrentied, then that is false. Talk to mazda canada, not the dealer. I put performance springs on my probe GT and was told it would not void ford warrenty, I don't see why mazda would be different.
Legally, they cannot just associate the performance part with racing. That is a huge assumption. Anyone can race thier car, modified or not. I've seen many a stock honda civic bouncing off their rev limiters on solo courses. Many people add performance exhaust intake etc because they like the way it improves fuel economy and sound of the vehicle. It does not automatically translate to racing or abuse. This is the kind of head up the ass, cocky, uniformed attitude that many dealers throw at you.
The law is the same here as in the US. Innocent until proven guilty. It is just many police, lawyers and other law enforcers that seem to forget this.

PS if this were the corporate attitude of mazda, they would have their work cut out for them when it comes to competing with the other compact sport manufacturers who also offer factory, warrentied upgrades, such as in the case of the srt-4

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got ahold of a diffrent dealerships Parts Manager, and his information was inline with the US guidelines. That is, as per a letter recieved a week ago, mazdaspeed parts installed on a speed 3 are under full bumper to bumper warranty. Any after market parts installed would not automatically void any part of the vehicle warranty, unless proven that said part was the direct cause etc.

Will await the 'official' reply from Mazda Canada, but at least it seems that the other dealerships contact is likely way out of line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts