Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought fram oil filter for my car about 3 months ago, instaled like usualy and i discovered in time that my car was constanly on min of oil level, so one day i parked my car at the gas station and because it just rained ive seen in the water that was under my car the rainbow colors, so i park my car home put a cardboard underneeth and go to bed next day the cardbord had about half a liter of oil on it.

So i send my father to crappy tire to buy me a new oil filter because ive seen the leak next to the cartrige and because i will one the cartige to change the oil fiter. My father commes back and he tells me that the sales person there cannot sell no more fram because on this car they cause oil leak, the o ring is to thin.

So my advice don't buy fram oil filter i was lucky i didn't run without oil while using the car.

Ive never had the oil light on while the engine was running but my question is can my engine have benn afected by this???

·
Registered
782 Posts
One leaking cartridge doesn't seem reason to say that all Fram cartridges are bad in general... Perhaps it was just one torn o-ring that came with the filter, or it got twisted during the installation?

Since the oil pressure light didn't come on, I don't think the oil level dropped to the point where your engine might be damaged so you should be okay.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the sales person told my father that all the filters that they have received for the mz3 2.3 have the same prob, and therefor they stop selling them until they will get a new batch

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
[quote author=hate_romania link=topic=72049.msg1268531#msg1268531 date=1173933470]
the sales person told my father that all the filters that they have received for the mz3 2.3 have the same prob, and therefor they stop selling them until they will get a new batch
[/quote]

If in fact the sales guy is telling the truth about the filter/o-ring being defective from the factory, I guess that leaves out a "diy'er" problem. As for Fram in general, there's really nothing wrong with their filters, BUT, you can simply buy a better filter for equal or less money.

Wix/NAPA Gold/Carquest (all the exact same filter) have better ADBV's, bypass valves, media and overall construction for the same (or less) price as Fram. So once you know this, there's really no reason to buy a Fram product again...........................Unless you like over paying for inferior quality. 8)

Darryl

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I get purolator pure one filters.

They got one of the highest ratings for build quality and filter materials when tested by sport bike enthusiasts.

As for Fram, they usually score the lowest with one big reason being poor materials. When contacted by the public regarding this matter Fram usually responds with something along the "We've been in the industry for XX years selling proven products using economic methods."

hehe

·
Registered
52 Posts
Purolator is an awesome company, good products.

About 10 years ago Fram's quality started to go down hill in terms of filtration and internal build quality. They have a large following of people because of their reputation, but the Fram of late is not the same one that built the company's reputation. They now have some of the worst filters of any oil filters out there, they just look nice in their orange and black packaging. If you want to see peoples' accounts of Fram just google Bad and Fram filters.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Same thing With everything else they make. Fram air filter are $hit. Just stay away from Fram, I can agree with D Bone on that one. You could do much better with that money.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Honda uses the same manufacturer that makes fram oil filters. Honda oems ARE the exact same as walmart fram oil filters. Honda has had NO issues with thier filters or engines. There is nothing wrong with Fram. If Honda, the most reliable engine manufacturer there is relies on Fram then i think us Mazda folks can too.
The only difference from a Honda or Fram filter is that Hondas are blue. Oh, Also Toyota uses the same supplier. If you change your oil regularly then the use of high end filters is a complete waste.

·
Registered
466 Posts
ive ran fram for a long time, i am in no way loyal to them but i will not hesitate to use them. i currentlly have 4 of them that i picked up for the MS3 @$3.50 a pop. the only thing that concerns me about them are the anti-backflow valve on the canister types but the mazda ones are cartridge only so no worries there. i do also have a wal-mart one and compared the 2 side by side and the filtering media does look better on the wal-mart one, i think its made by champion. one thing i do like about their canisters is the non slip grip surface, it makes for a tight install every time. i wish the other manu's would follow their lead on that.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=denzillion link=topic=72049.msg1285285#msg1285285 date=1174612489]
The best bet is to use OEM. This is what I have been using OEM for MZ3 as well as my Focus SVT.
[/quote]
100% correct. In many cases the oem IS fram. Not sure who makes ours though..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same problem. Damn thing leaked oil as fast as I could put it back in. Also crushed The oil filter. Ive had one other brand of filter crush on me, Pure one. I now and will only use STP oil filters. If you compare STP to fram, the fram filter looks about as useful as a wet roll of toilet paper. Im not saying all fram filters are junk. But i wouldnt recommend one for our cars. I have pics of the crushed filters. Ill load the pics if I can. I tryed before but it didnt work.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am neither a supporter or a hater of Fram, and this is a bit off topic, but this is the reason I will not use anything but the OEM filter anymore. I am a member of a motorcycle forum, and this has happened to a few guys on there, and it ONLY happned with the Fram filters.

This Kawasaki uses a canister filter with a metal cap glued to either end.
The glue came apart on the Fram filter and the paper element has torn.
The design of the Kawasaki filter housing is not unlike the Mazda 2.3L (although the cap is metal)

Here is a TSB by Dodge wich actually states the ONLY filters wich are authorized to be used in a Cummins 5.9 Diesel engine.

Date: May 18, 2001

Models: 1989 -1993 (AD), 1994 - 2001 (BR/BE) Ram Truck

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN INVOLVES 1989 - 2001 MY 2500 AND 3500 RAM TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH A 5.9L CUMMINS DIESEL ENGINE.

Discussion:

Customer may complain of high oil consumption, grey oil smoke coming out of the exhaust or breather tube, or mechanical knocking. Neoprene compounds used internally in the manufacture of oil filters not recommended by DaimlerChrysler may separate from the filter, lodge in the piston cooling nozzle, and can fail the engine.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN ENGINE DEFECT.

(See the table below for a list of filters recommended by DaimlerChrysler for use with the 5.9L Cummins diesel engine.)

NOTE: SECTION 2.7 OF THE TRUCK WARRANTY MANUAL STATES DAIMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR FAILURES RESULTING FROM IMPROPER REPAIR OR THE USE OF PARTS WHICH ARE NOT GENUINE DAIMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION / MOPAR OR DAIMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION / MOPAR APPROVED PARTS. DAMAGES CAUSED BY THE USE OF OIL FILTER NOT APPROVED BY DAIMLERCHRYSLER MAY NOT BE COVERED BY THE NEW VEHICLE WARRANTY. DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECOMMENDS THE FOLLOWING OIL FILTERS. DO NOT USE ANY OIL FILTER CONTAINING NEOPRENE. PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS.

RECOMMENDED OIL FILTERS FOR USE WITH CUMMINS 5.9L DIESEL ENGINE:

Part Number Manufacturer
05016547AC Mopar
LF3894 Fleetguard Stratopore
LF3552 Fleetguard Microglass
LF3949 Fleetguard Cellulose
3937695 Cummins Cellulose
FL896 MotorCraft Cellulose
L45335 Purolator Cellulose
PF1070 AC Delco Cellulose

Policy: Information Only

Notes:

The LF3349 Cellulose filter does not appear on this list. It was approved in the past for 12Valve engines, but it has been superseded by the LF3949, which has a stronger metal case for the 24 Valve engines. You can use your existing LF3349's for 12 valve engines without concern about warranty coverage.

Here is a (probably outdated) study conducted on oil filters wich seems to be mostly unbiased and the writer will not comment on what he thinks is the "best" or "worst" filter.

Anyway, you may find it interesting....or boring....who knows.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Now let me also say for every 1 person that has had a problem with a fram (or other) filter, there are probably 100 who have used them for YEARS without a problem.

I look at it this way:

I drive a 2.0 so the prices may not apply to your 2.3 or 2.3 Turbo

Mazda's "normal" oil change interval is 7500 miles.
Mazda's "severe" oil change interval is 5000 Miles.
If I drive in "severe" conditions, (and most people do if you go by what "severe" means) Ill change my oil every 5000 miles.
If I drive an average amount...say...25000 miles in a year, I will need 5 oil changes in a year.
So, at 5 oil changes a year using a fram extra guard filter $6.99 a piece it totals $34.95 in a year. (price from AdvanceAutoParts.com)
If I use the OEM filter 5 times a year at $13.50 a piece it totals $67.50 in a year. (price at TonkinPartsOnline.com)

It seems crazy to pay DOUBLE the price for a stupid filter doesnt it!?

If you drive 25000 miles in a year you will save $32.55 this year on oil filters.
You will save $65.10 by the time the 4yr 50000 mile warranty expires.

In my humble opinion, $65.10 is not worth the risk of having a warranty claim denied if the oil filter turns out to be the culprit.

Let me say again, that I really belive the majority of people will use whatever filter they see fit, and NOT have a problem with it, but why take the chance?

OK sorry about the long post, and reviving an old thread, my rant is over.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Fram filters are JUNK..... go with Napa Gold, Wix, Puroilater, Amsoil, Motorcraft.

Do some research, and/or cut them open and compare. But nowadays the info is all online for you, others have cut them open and put pics online for you.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Boooooo old post.

I've never had problems with Fram...99% of the time its operator error anyways. You know how dumb people are :sarc:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Lots of things ARE from operator error, but as you can see from the pics posted above, the glue simply came apart on where it is attached to the metal end caps on the filter. No operator error on this one. (FYI this is a picture of a filter that goes in a Kawasaki)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts