Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, tell me one thing, in these chilly winter mornings, do we have to warm up car and if yes, for how long, I read somewhere in mazda3forum that warm up should not be long enough as it will cause to accumulate wate and other unwanted fluids and gases in the car engine and pipes etcc. Please advise.

I do not warm up the car and it gives a small jolt whenever I drive and when I move from 1st gear to 2nd gear the RPM moves dramatically goes high above 3000 RPM and then immediately drops back to 1500 RPM or so. Is this odd or a common happeneing with you guys also.

Regards
Shravan

·
Registered
168 Posts
reachsmiles said:
Guys, tell me one thing, in these chilly winter mornings, do we have to warm up car and if yes, for how long, I read somewhere in mazda3forum that warm up should not be long enough as it will cause to accumulate wate and other unwanted fluids and gases in the car engine and pipes etcc. Please advise.

I do not warm up the car and it gives a small jolt whenever I drive and when I move from 1st gear to 2nd gear the RPM moves dramatically goes high above 3000 RPM and then immediately drops back to 1500 RPM or so. Is this odd or a common happeneing with you guys also.

Regards
Shravan
It's very common for the car to create a jolt if it hasn't been warmed up. With regards to warming up the car in the morning...I usually do it in the winter for about 5 minutes...just enough for the RPM to fall to 1K. Usually its at 1,700K RPM when starting up. I would say 5 minutes is a good rule of thumb...but nothing longer than that unless in extreme conditions.

Hope this helps.

Spencer

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had my Tire Pressure Monitor warning turn on once because it was cold. After the TPMS realized that the tires were all the right pressure, it turned off again 5 minutes later. Anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
RPM's in the morning...

It's only about 40-50 F degrees here, but I manage to pull upwards of 2200 when I first start the car, after 15 seconds it will drop to 1700, and then I have to wait a few for it to get to 1000 or below.

What is everyones idle after you warm up? I'm at 500, but sometimes 750.

-j

Spencer - your name is going to confuse me!! ;P

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my idle is around 750 after warmup and my car starts around 1700-2000 and slowly drops to 1000 by which I start rollin

Have you also expereinced the jolt when moving from 1st gear to 2nd gear, what is the RPM that is goes to when gear is changes in AT

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I've not noticed the jolt, but I think it's because this is the smoothest shift I've had in most of the cars I've driven. I also drive a VW Beetle that is very jumpy unless you redline.

I'll keep an eye out and see if it happens, but it's not that noticeable to me - that or I'm mistaking it for the tire slip.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no no, what you are saying is right, it is not about tire slip, it is about the jolt of the car when the car gets into 2nd gear from 1st, you will see the RPM needle go near to 2500/3000 and suddenly drop back to 1000/1250, The speed I am moving is also slow which is around 20-25 MPH

·
Registered
168 Posts
Re: RPM's in the morning...

DJ Spencer said:
It's only about 40-50 F degrees here, but I manage to pull upwards of 2200 when I first start the car, after 15 seconds it will drop to 1700, and then I have to wait a few for it to get to 1000 or below.

What is everyones idle after you warm up? I'm at 500, but sometimes 750.

-j

Spencer - your name is going to confuse me!! ;P
Hey DJ Spencer,

The car starts up at about 1700-2000 and after a minute or so it drops to about 1000. At idle its always been 750. BTW...cool name :D !

Spencer

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

overkast said:
The car starts up at about 1700-2000 and after a minute or so it drops to about 1000. At idle its always been 750. BTW...cool name :D !
Yeah, I figured it was 750, but it's been a while since I've had a car that it's set there. I'm more familiar with 500.

...FYI - Spencer is my last name, but most people just call me Spence.

...BTW - what's the weather like in Reno? I'm considering taking a trip up there on MLK holiday, if I have the moolah....

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Really, if this is posted in one area it should probably stay there so we don't have to cross-reference both for different and important information.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry about cross posting, I could not figure out initially when I posted it, later I realised it , and the 20 mins times was up to modify the post, only the moderator can remove or close the other post

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I want to moderate... :)

·
Registered
168 Posts

DJ Spencer said:
overkast said:
Yeah, I figured it was 750, but it's been a while since I've had a car that it's set there. I'm more familiar with 500.

...FYI - Spencer is my last name, but most people just call me Spence.

...BTW - what's the weather like in Reno? I'm considering taking a trip up there on MLK holiday, if I have the moolah....
Hey Spence,

Last week was bad with rain and snow non-stop for a week straight. This week has been a little more forgiving...no rain or snow...just cloudy skies.

Spencer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts