Discussion Starter #1
I supose one of the important pratical things concerning the use of a car
is its warm-up time. For instance a Peugeot 307 owner told me that his
car doesnt achieve operational temperature for the whole 15mins that
he needs to get to work. That sux.
So, how fast 3 is ready for fun?:)
Ofcourse some clarification about the temperature of your area,
the driving conditions while the car warms up etc are welcome
and will further allow me(us) non owners yet to get a better idea.

EDIT: Title

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Re: Warm-up time??

vagy said:
So, how fast 3 is ready for fun?:)
Ofcourse some clarification about the temperature of your area,
the driving conditions while the car warms up etc are welcome
and will further allow me(us) non owners yet to get a better idea.
Just look at the temp gauge :nsmile:

Mine takes around 5 mins to warm up (idle), tho I usually drive it away after 1 or 2 mins. After 5 mins on the road, it's ready for fun :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I usually wait 2 minutes after startup to pull out of a parking spot. I usually wait about 10 minutes before doing any hard acceleration, but if I get to the highway in a little less time, I don't have too many hesitations about hard accelerations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dealer's 2.0L GT test car I drove for a few days in January, warmed up reasonably quick. Started up nicely after an overnight stay at -25C outside temperature and heated nicely on a 15km drive back to the dealer. If I recall correctly the engine heat was at it's normal level after 7kms or so, and the interior was comfortably warm when I got there. Of course at those temperatures the mechanics are a bit sluggish (in every car I suppose), but otherwise the car was fine.

Also the Auto A/C works intelligent enough letting the engine warm up before using higher speeds on the fan.

Can't wait to get my hands on my 2.0L Strato Blue GT in May...

·
Registered
21 Posts
sidenote:
it's a myth that you must warm your car before take off.....unless you need to defrost your windshield.......

·
Registered
65 Posts
The fastest way to safely heat your engine isn't to let it idle; but rather, to accelerate slowly with it.

Acceleration burns more fuel (warming it more quickly), and doing it slowly keeps there from being excessive localized heat.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Mazda03 said:
The fastest way to safely heat your engine isn't to let it idle; but rather, to accelerate slowly with it.

Acceleration burns more fuel (warming it more quickly), and doing it slowly keeps there from being excessive localized heat.
true. In cold weather the best magazines here recommend 30 sec to 1 min Idle MAX and then start to drive slowly...

·
Registered
155 Posts
my dad said warming up the car is not nesscesary ... he's a car manic and he currently owns maserati and clk ... and he had cars like 156 gta, supra ... maybe cuz he's in hk and the temperature is warm there ?
but even when he drives my car here ... he doesn't warm it up ...

·
Registered
155 Posts
i wish ... he had a celica convertable that i love ... manual too
a very rare car i really thought of telling him to import it here ... but its too much work and he sold it and got the 156 gta ... then he sold 156 gta for the maserati ghibli ...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Expert says .. 30secs should be enough unless it's extreme cold. then accelerate slowly until engine warms up more.

·
Registered
444 Posts
As for warming the car up, these days cars have these heaters that warm-up the vital components up relatively quickly...

Depending on which oil you use, normally oil sinks to the bottom of the engine and also cold oil doesnt lubricate as well as warmer oil and you dont want metal rubbing metal in the engine block. Another thing is fuel effieciency as colder engines have less combustion compared to warm.
Which also is environmetal factor because of the Cat not being able to decompose the Carbon Monoxide to H20 and Co2 when it is cold..(chem lesson)

But 1-2 min idling is certainly enough and then take it easy on driving until temp goes up..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mazda03 said:

I agree...you don't have to warm up your car on a normal day. Just start it and drive off, but you have to accelerate slowly to gradually warm up your engine. If it's winter time, and it's been parked outside, warm it up for 30 seconds max to get the oil in your engine lubricating, no longer, cuz you are just wasting gas.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Depends on what kind of driving you plan on doing...if it is summer time you can turn the car on and pretty much drive like normal....but I know that on some cars you should let the oil tempature get hot enough to handle the higher RPM's....tempature gauges dont measure oil temp and are meaningless as to whether the car is ready to be raced...10-15 minutes though is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
haha i dun even idle my car, i start it, and head out the garage.

I go very light on the gas to let it warm up, after about 5 min, the car will be fully warmed up and ready for zoom-zoom

also, if i take off that engine block heater plastic thingy, will that affect a lot?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts