Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Guys, tell me one thing, in these chilly winter mornings, do we have to warm up car and if yes, for how long, I read somewhere in mazda3forum that warm up should not be long enough as it will cause to accumulate wate and other unwanted fluids and gases in the car engine and pipes etcc. Please advise.

I do not warm up the car and it gives a small jolt whenever I move from 1st gear to 2nd gear and the RPM also moves dramaticallay high above 3000RPM and then immediately drops back to 1500RPM or so.

Regards
Shravan

EDIT: Poll options - 2 options were the same :twisted:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I like to let the car's oil temp needle move at least once before moving if I can. That usually takes about 2 minutes to do.

BMW sent out a email to owners about how much warm up time was really necessary. The jist was that the best way to get oil and other fluids circulating around the engine would be to drive it, but take it easy for a least 10 minutes (no hard accelerations or stops, etc). They said that a maximum of 10 SECONDS after ignition was necessary before actually driving.

Of course, that is BMW and they're a different company. I don't think I could afford to wait for my MZ3 to warm up to idle temp, which would be about 10-15 minutes so I compromise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guys,
Some how I missed the other two options in the poll, can anyone add them

"Warm it Up"

"Start and Drive"

Thanks

·
Registered
882 Posts
I remember that it was either somebody at my Mazda dealership or the Pro5 manual that stated that 30 seconds of warmup was more than adequate with that engine. I can't remember reading the same but my own ritual is basically a minute to two minutes, once the RPMs have settled down a little bit from where they were when I started the car.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I read somewhere that said that warming up the car on idle is bad... and that you should just idle the car for 30-60 seconds and drive slowly to warm the car up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
has anyone experiencing the jolt when the gears get shifted from 1-2 and 2-3 etc..

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
It's -27 for the last couple of days.. .By the time I get to work, my car is still cold if I don't warm it up. Even if I warm it up, my car is still cold when i get to work... fReak it's just cold. brrrrr

·
Registered
882 Posts
Well yeah, that's often two things. The tranny is still cold so the shift may be a bit harsh. Every auto tranny I've had over the years has done that so no biggie. The second element is often in the mornings (especially where it's cold/icy) you tend to not just romp on the car and drive normally so the driving patterns that the car has remembered are for your typical driving where you probably accelerate at a bit quicker pace. So yeah often when you start out in the morning and your driving a bit more sedate you get a bit of a lurch cause the car is expecting a bit more foot action. ;)

·
Registered
882 Posts
I dunno, sounds like we have some mini moderators running around here. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.