Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

Im like 6'2-6'3 around ~190 lbs.

I will be the first to admit, I have some extra stomach, and extra fat period.

Any good tips you guys recomend? Its not that I want to loose some weight, I just want the fat gone, to shape up, muscle would be nice, but im strong enough for my wants lol. I want to be happier to take off my shirt at the beach :lol:

Im def not here for jokes, making fun of me, etc. So just GTFO if your about to post it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
17,743 Posts
well you can start by eating more. eat every 3 hours if you can help it. small portions and healthy of course.

eat carbs early in the day, try not to eat them pass 17:00.

other than that, cardio is the best... run, bike etc.. what ever you like

thats your basic..

·
Registered
289 Posts
Surround yourself with positive and supportive friends. Don't let people convince you to do something that will hurt your health too often.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
[quote author=DUBS link=topic=115605.msg2414486#msg2414486 date=1214274601]
well you can start by eating more. eat every 3 hours if you can help it. small portions and healthy of course.

thats your basic..
[/quote]

agree except with the eating more part but I get what you meant by that Dubber, frequent meals and eat clean if you want to get cut. You could keep yourself from feeling like you are starving by eating filling healthy foods, like oatmeal, chicken breast as staple foods. Keep your protein intake pretty high, and try to do cardio as much as you can, twice a day if possible, ideally a light pace longer distance walk/jog in the morning like 30 minutes, and then maybe do weight training @ night with a 10~15 minute session after weights on a bike or elliptical machine.

Although I just wanna say one thing....6'3" @ 190 pounds doesn't sound fat to me, sounds normal or maybe even a little bit skinny, if there isn't much muscle on you right now you might have better luck cutting fat by building some muscle first to help raise your metabolism and burn it off.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
i am actually trying to gain weight but since i go to the gym and know a little about muscle and health i thought i'd give you my input. Don't eat fast food try to avoid it all together and if you do eat fast food try to eat stuff that isn't greased up or fried (hard to find that from fast food). Cardio is your best bet though, and swimming. I hate swimming but if you go swimming you'll get in shape real real fast physically and health wise. You'll get real cut in no time and when you wake up the next day from swimming hard as if a shark was behind you you'll know your on your way to success. Cardio and swimming are the things you should do most of the time besides eating right. One of my friends is taking hydroxy cut and its working but i wouldn't recommend it....try to stay away from stuff like that.

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
You definitely want to do lifting while trying to lose weight. When getting cut up you lose lots of muscle mass, so lifting helps to offset that. Also, lifting and doing cardio burns MUCH more fat than just cardio. Eat massive amounts of protein and fiber. Fiber helps to get your metabolism straight and large amounts of protein will again help to offset muscle loss. And doing cardio in the morning is by far in my opinion the most effective way to burn fat. Doing it right after you wake up before you eat burns up to 300% more fat according to some studies due to glycogen levels being so low. Me and my bro have had serious success with morning cardio after offseasons.

gluck.

@ 08mazda: swimming is cardio lol.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
shit, i totally forgot about the lifting part :shock: :lol:.... oops.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Lifting light weights, cardio, and eating smaller healthier portions are your best bet to losing weight.

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
I'm in a similar boat... 6' and around 195-200. been going to the gym since january, cardio and weights on alternating days (though I try to get some cardio in every day), but the diet change I just can't seem to do, so even though I've built some muscle on my arms, the Milwaukee Tumor on my mid-section has stayed. It's gone down a bit, but that hasn't resulted in any weight loss because of the added muscle on my arms. I've also missed most of the past month due first to illness and then to a back injury, but I'm finally getting back into it this week as I'm finally feeling all healed up. Doing a 5K on Thursday too (it's a charity thing, and we're not expected to run the whole thing, which at this point is a very good thing!)

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
[quote author=weezerfan84 link=topic=115605.msg2414577#msg2414577 date=1214276939]
Lifting light weights, cardio, and eating smaller healthier portions are your best bet to losing weight.
[/quote]

just want to dispel a myth here....not that there is anything wrong with lifting light weights its better than not lifting anything at all. but higher reps and lighter weights will not help you get cut any more than heavier weights and lower reps, its all about calories in versus calories out. So you can burn the same amount of calories lifting heavy.

bottom line is you probably dont ever wanna take over 2500 calories in a day right now if you want to be cutting, and if you are over that the more cardio/lifting you will have to do in order to make sure you are still losing weight.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote author=budgy link=topic=115605.msg2414530#msg2414530 date=1214275777]

thats your basic..
[/quote]

agree except with the eating more part but I get what you meant by that Dubber, frequent meals and eat clean if you want to get cut. You could keep yourself from feeling like you are starving by eating filling healthy foods, like oatmeal, chicken breast as staple foods. Keep your protein intake pretty high, and try to do cardio as much as you can, twice a day if possible, ideally a light pace longer distance walk/jog in the morning like 30 minutes, and then maybe do weight training @ night with a 10~15 minute session after weights on a bike or elliptical machine.

Although I just wanna say one thing....6'3" @ 190 pounds doesn't sound fat to me, sounds normal or maybe even a little bit skinny, if there isn't much muscle on you right now you might have better luck cutting fat by building some muscle first to help raise your metabolism and burn it off.
[/quote]

[quote author=speedfreak89 link=topic=115605.msg2414463#msg2414463 date=1214274038]
Okay,

Any good tips you guys recomend? Its not that I want to loose some weight, I just want the fat gone, to shape up, muscle would be nice, but im strong enough for my wants lol. I want to be happier to take off my shirt at the beach :lol:
Im def not here for jokes, making fun of me, etc. So just GTFO if your about to post it.

[/quote]

Thanks Guys. Like I said though, im not looking to loose weight. Im a jolly green giant lol. Super tall lolz. I dont care to loose weight, just my belly, thighs, and a little in my upper arms...Tone up I guess. Get rid of the keg hahah

I guess my fat doesnt weigh much?

I mean, Im strong, stronger than most of my friends, but not like ungodly :lol:

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
[quote author=speedfreak89 link=topic=115605.msg2414618#msg2414618 date=1214277690]
[quote author=budgy link=topic=115605.msg2414530#msg2414530 date=1214275777]

thats your basic..
[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote author=speedfreak89 link=topic=115605.msg2414463#msg2414463 date=1214274038]
Okay,

[/quote]

Thanks Guys. Like I said though, im not looking to loose weight. Im a jolly green giant lol. Super tall lolz. I dont care to loose weight, just my belly, thighs, and a little in my upper arms...Tone up I guess. Get rid of the keg hahah

I guess my fat doesnt weigh much?

I mean, Im strong, stronger than most of my friends, but not like ungodly :lol:
[/quote]

well here in lies a choice for you my friend...because it is literally impossible for your body to burn fat and build muscle simultaneously; over long periods of time you can do it but it takes a LONG time, and basically you will be gaining some muscle when you are over maintenance, and losing fat when you are under. So if you want results quicker you really should be trying to either gain weight or lose weight instead of floating at the same weight, and basically make your goal for about 3~4 months at a time either all out muscle building or fat loss because its very hard and long road to do both @ the same time.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I mean, I don't mind loosing weight, its just not a goal. My goal is to cut the fat. :)

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
yeah so lose weight first to cut the fat and then build yourself back up to 190 while still working out to hopefully put on some muscle, or bulk up to say 205 or maybe even more and then cut back down to 190, you will be a different man either way and you could probably do either or within 6 months easy.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whats the best way to cut the weight?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Cardio: 30-45 minutes M-F of ellpitical / stationary bike / running

Weights:
Monday/Thurs: Chest/Triceps
Tues/Fri: back/biceps
Weds: Abs + Shoulders
You can throw in legs on Weds as well.

Diet:
Fluids: drink water, cranberry juice, orange juice. Preferrably just water. Easiest way to do it since it cuts out sugars.

The dry stuff:
Whole wheat products.
some fruits
unlimited veggies
brown rice
grilled/baked/broiled meats, not fried.

I started out at 240lbs, (i'm 6' tall.) in June of last year.
By late july/ early august. I dropped to 215lbs.

That was my workout regimen and eating in a nutshell. If you PM me I can go more into specifics.

I know you're not into getting big so what you're going to want to do with weights is 10-12 reps for about 3 sets.
I wanted to get strong so I did 3 sets of 6 reps (used a weight where on the 6th rep my muscle was at failure)
I went from lifting 20lbs on biceps curls to 50lbs in that 2-3 month period. I'm all about results baby.

PM me and I'll discuss more with ya, I love helping out with this.

Also, you're probably want to take in about 2000-2500 calories a day to lose .5-1lb a week. For your height/weight I think to maintain your status you'll need about 2700-3500 calories a day. Just depends on how active you are.

If you gain muscle, the body uses more energy aka burns more calories, so more muscle helps with losing weight.

What I'm saying may be kinda confusing/random but it's just because I haven't organized it and thought about everything in detail. Just trying to show you what has worked and what can work for you.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
[quote author=DUBS link=topic=115605.msg2414765#msg2414765 date=1214281314]
cut the weight?

2 people can weight the same lets say 200lbs one can be lean muscle and one can be fat.

you can lose weight by losing fat if you dont build muscle but why?
[/quote]

because like I said doing both at the same time takes too long, this is why bodybuilders do whats called bulking and cutting cycles, and since you are probably not going to be on steroids its likely going to be even harder to build muscle or burn fat, all the more reason to focus on one thing at a time, it is the fastest way to your goal of doing both.

·
Registered
17,743 Posts
[quote author=budgy link=topic=115605.msg2414776#msg2414776 date=1214281542]
[quote author=DUBS link=topic=115605.msg2414765#msg2414765 date=1214281314]
cut the weight?

2 people can weight the same lets say 200lbs one can be lean muscle and one can be fat.

you can lose weight by losing fat if you dont build muscle but why?
[/quote]

because like I said doing both at the same time takes too long, this is why bodybuilders do whats called bulking and cutting cycles, and since you are probably not going to be on steroids its likely going to be even harder to build muscle or burn fat, all the more reason to focus on one thing at a time, it is the fastest way to your goal of doing both.
[/quote]

trust me i know

i was telling him that you can lose weight and not gain muscle but why would someone want to do that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts