Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was going to purchase 4 new Falken 912s.. Our shop can not get ehm for at least 10 days, if not more from his distributor so I have the option of getting the following tires for the same price ($89.12 ea and $496 total with the B/R/RH plan).

These are the 2 tires I can get:

Sumitomo HTR III and
Falken ze-329.

From looking at reviews, there are strong points FOR and points AGAINST. I live in FL so there is no snow involved. mainly highway and city driving, no racing or autocross. Of course there is summer storms so wet traction needs to be good.

From the Sumi reviews, I know TireRack has good test on it, but some reviews online show a hit or miss with wet handling.

Falkens don't have much reviews but the few are pretty good. I saw that they were the top model that Falken was selling in Japan. Also, they are lighter tires (about 2lbs per each).

The 329's have a higher tread rating too.

so thoughts? And I priced the Sumis from Tirerack.. with shipping, its on par with what I can get em locally, then add the B/R/RW deal....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Since you live in florida, where snow is not a concern, get the HTR Z III. Unless you really want the long tread wear, the Z III is better in every way!

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I have the HTR Z's - not the best for wet roads plus seem to be soft and easy to wear out and I only drive around 2 miles a day on them. Although I drive very very aggressivly in corners and have a nice bit of negative camber in the rear being dropped on aftermarket 18"s.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks.. another user said they were good to get, and after extensive searching, I opted to get em. I even called several other shops locally just inquiring on tires and I would get the pricing on several models including these 2 and all the salesmen would say the HTR III even though they were cheaper then the 329s.

I hope to get 2yrs out of em and I will be happy. Mainly to get to work and back, and not so aggressive driving...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got the Sumi's installed yesterday and they feel fine. Can update after a week or so if anyone interested.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
yeah let us know as I dont know of anyone else with these. id like to know about the road noise factor from your experience.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
from this morning, I didn't notice road noise. It does track straighter than the GY RS-As that were on it.

UPDATE 3-19-09:
Road noise is much less than the OEMs on the car. Also, as I said before, it tracks straighter than before. I didn't do an alignment as the specs were ok, per the shop's printout.

The car rides smoother too, but yesterday when I was on a slight incline at a light, when the light changed, my left front slipped a bit. Don't know if I was on some oil or sand. Hasn't done it before or since.

·
Registered
73 Posts
[quote author=vtrin link=topic=138837.msg3000007#msg3000007 date=1237315157]
The car rides smoother too, but yesterday when I was on a slight incline at a light, when the light changed, my left front slipped a bit. Don't know if I was on some oil or sand. Hasn't done it before or since.
[/quote]your tires are still new, so it might still have some polish or slippery stuff on the top of the rubber. it *should* wear off and you should gain a lot of grip. drive 100miles and retry that turn?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts