Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
37,640 Posts
Re: Want to see some uneven pad wear?

Did you notice more brake dust on one side vs the other? For all you know, they could've been uneven from the factory (although unlikely).

I want to say thats a piston problem, but thats only because I cant see how a rotor would cause that.

· Registered
31,524 Posts

it didn't pull or anything? excessive dust on that wheel?

· Registered
395 Posts

I don't think it's that unusual.

My MS3 had worse wear than that (and more uneven) after 15k miles (and 4 track days)

It may just be the reality of a one piston setup.

Your pads look very good after 50k+ miles.

· Registered
31,524 Posts

· Registered
38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

[quote author=t0p_sh0tta link=topic=143596.msg3093728#msg3093728 date=1241061427]
Remember that we're using single piston sliding calipers, and the force is not equal on both sides.

And that looks excellent for anything over 30k miles.
[/quote]

I agree, on the passenger side pad... but the driver's side was almost down past the groove. definitely time to replace that one, ergo, time to replace all the front pads :)

· Registered
31,524 Posts

Inner pad wear

Inner pad wear usually occurs when the piston can't retract properly. The piston may be binding in a scored cylinder. The piston seal may be distorted or just plain worn out. Both of these indicate a caliper teardown and rebuild.

The pad may be binding on a corroded caliper bracket. If this is the case, you may be able to clean the corrosion with emory cloth and brake cleaner. (Remember to keep brake cleaner away from rubber parts.) After the sliding surfaces have been cleaned, apply a dab of brake lubricant.

· Registered
25,522 Posts

I've seen a lot worse. I wouldn't even worry about it, you don't have a caliper problem.

Also, I like how people are making comments on how good your brakes look for 50k+ miles. It doesn't matter how much you drive, it matters HOW you drive.

If you drove all highway, you could have 200k miles and your pads look like that. If you drive all city and are hard on the brakes, they could be that way in 30k miles.

If you drive like a fucktard, or track your car, they can look like that in 2k miles.

· Registered
6,738 Posts

[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=143596.msg3093796#msg3093796 date=1241063251]
Inner pad wear

Inner pad wear usually occurs when the piston can't retract properly. The piston may be binding in a scored cylinder. The piston seal may be distorted or just plain worn out. Both of these indicate a caliper teardown and rebuild.

The pad may be binding on a corroded caliper bracket. If this is the case, you may be able to clean the corrosion with emory cloth and brake cleaner. (Remember to keep brake cleaner away from rubber parts.) After the sliding surfaces have been cleaned, apply a dab of brake lubricant.
[/quote]

LOL I would also think the inner pad wear can be caused by riding the brakes on a downhill... It can make sense because you might not apply enough pressure to have them touching the rotor evenly.

· Registered
38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I don't really think it's a caliper problem--when I bled the line to compress that piston, it slid in nice and smooth. I really think there's a problem with the rotor, something the pad is catching on on every revolution that is wearing that pad prematurely.

· Registered
38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

[quote author=ryukensfj link=topic=143596.msg3093818#msg3093818 date=1241063948]
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=143596.msg3093796#msg3093796 date=1241063251]
Inner pad wear

[/quote]

LOL I would also think the inner pad wear can be caused by riding the brakes on a downhill... It can make sense because you might not apply enough pressure to have them touching the rotor evenly.
[/quote]

But that doesn't explain why one side is wearing more than the other...right?

· Registered
6,738 Posts

[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=143596.msg3093823#msg3093823 date=1241064059]
[quote author=ryukensfj link=topic=143596.msg3093818#msg3093818 date=1241063948]
Inner pad wear

[/quote]

[/quote]

But that doesn't explain why one side is wearing more than the other...right?
[/quote]

No it doesn't... Have you checked the rotors? Is it the same thickness on both sides. Are they both smooth?

· Registered
25,522 Posts

It could have been a defect in the pad...a slightly softer compound than what it should be. I've seen that happen quite a bit with OEM brakepads and autoparts stores econo brands.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.