Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you've decided to replace your front OEM grill. Good for you :goodjob:

Here's a few things you should know first before you go ahead and buy something.

The Mazda 3 model comes in two basic trim levels. One has a black honeycomb grill (generaly the 2.0L mazda 3's) and the other one has a body colored grill (the 2.3L mazda 3's)

Although the front OEM grills may look similar , they are a bit different , but it shouldn't make a too much or a difference if you tried to swap them.

The 2.0L members have a grill that looks like this..

you may want to consider a grill like the one Erebuni has...
http://www.erebunicorp.com/accesscustom/maz3.htm

or from Autotoyaz
http://store.yahoo.com/autotoyaz/20onma34drcu.html

or from CVR motorsports
http://www.cvrmotorsports.com/model.php?mod_id=88

or try ebay..
http://www.motors.ebay.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2.3L members have a grill that looks like this... (body colored)

You guys may want to buy the new grill available now on ebay.. (check for links below on more info)

check out these threads in our forum.. group buys, pics and info on the new grill for the GT or S model

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=29860.0

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=26313.0

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=28319.0

Don't believe the above info??
Well .. here's what an i model grill looks like on an S model bumper  :?
(GS+GX grill on a GT/GFX bumper in Canada)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With all that out of the way, now  I’ll show you guys my install and share a few tips if you’re planning on getting the Erebuni grill (i or GS/GX models ONLY).  In my opinion the grill fits pretty good on my GS (or i ) model.

Pic of when it came to my door… (total price with shipping/customs ~$250 CAD)

So, to begin the instal, here’s a few steps I took (and some pics)
In order to loosen the stock grill, I had to unscrew these two screws first

Then.. I uncliped these clips ..(Note: this is the back view of the stock grill)

Go easy with these clips, don’t force it, or you’ll get what I got.. broken clips..
I was kinda rushing it, and so two of the clips broke off, so be careful, and take your time!

Took the grill out, and put in the new one to identify where I had to drill the new holes..

Now that I knew where the holes had to be drilled, it was time to do some drillin'...
Since I didn’t have a drill, I went into my lab and turned on the bunsen burner and melted my hole with a piece of RED HOT metal...  :eekno:

I don’t recommend you do it this way, however, if you are going to melt your hole, please do it near a fume hood (or outside) like I did, cause that stuff really stinks!!! lol

When I had my hole, I just put the grill on. The Erebuni grill comes with no clips or hinges, its just a plain piece of fiberglass, so it goes on easily. Fastened the screws and shut the hood.

Anyway, that’s my little walk through of how I did the instal. The grill is kinda loose since there are no other clips holding it except the two stock screws, so I’m gonna have to come up with a way to fasten it down a little more.

Here’s some pictures of the finished install… (fits good)

A few pics of the grill and the eyelids together!

Three weeks, and 4 coats of paint later .. my grill is finally painted ( with eyelids cost is $115CAD)!!!  :yay:  

The reason it took three weeks to paint it was because it was apparently a ‘bad’ grill. The guy that painted it said it was the worst thing he has ever had to paint. The reason he said that, was because he got a lot of bubbles coming up from the fiberglass when he applied the paint. He said the bubbles were a result of the grill being very poorly done. A lot of work had to be done to repair the bubbles, they had to cut holes in the grill and fill it with bondo, and had to use special primers to avoid any other problems. So, my grill in the end got 4 coats of paint because they had to do everything over again 4 times. To make matters worse, my car is the ‘special’ pearl red color offered by Mazda, which means it’s a three stage painting process. When I came to pick it up, he said to me “buddy.. I hope you didn’t pay more than $20 for this grill.. This is absolute junk”  :?

Anyway, it came out looking good, and seems to be smooth all around.
Here’s a few pics of the painted grill..

The mesh part didn’t get painted, so I bought some BBQ black paint (which I’m told will stick to aluminum) and I did the job my self..

First coat, I’ll put on a few more coats in the next couple of days

Also, I’ll show you guys a few pics of the Accolade eyelids I got, they’re painted too!

Ok, here’s some pics of the finished install, Enjoy!!

This was before I put the eyelids on…

I think the paint match is pretty good… I’m happy with it..

Some pics of the eyelids as well..

Latest pic (October 2005)

·
Registered
887 Posts
My Erebuni Grill Install *LOOONG with lots of PICS*

Cant wait!

I just ordered the Kenstyle Grill which is supposedly not supposed to need drilling but we will see, not a big deal if it needs too...

And my Accolade Eyelids are being painted as we speak... When I get the Grill I will post pics as well before and after paint... I cant wait to get it :)

Thanks and cant wait for the next set of pics!! Because it will give me another idea of what mine is going to look like :)

·
Registered
10,239 Posts

very nice, except i wasnt expecting the Erebuni to be bad quality... lets wait for JustinsMazda3's write up on his KENSTYLE grill :D but the grill does look good, i wanna see pics of the grill and lids on, not a big fan of lids but i still wanna see how they look

·
Registered
170 Posts

man.. i would have never thought of bunsen burner and m,elting it..
u must be a chemisty dude...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

BoostThat3 said:
very nice, except i wasnt expecting the Erebuni to be bad quality... lets wait for JustinsMazda3's write up on his KENSTYLE grill :D but the grill does look good, i wanna see pics of the grill and lids on, not a big fan of lids but i still wanna see how they look

I too was shocked when the body shop guys told me how bad it was, just because I had spent over $250 for this thing..and then they tell me its really low quality. I’m guessing I just got a bad batch or something, I don’t know.. cause no one else has said anything about the quality of the grills…. so its probably just a bad batch or something…

JustinsMazda3, from what I”ve heard, the Erebuni grill is an exact copy of the Kenstyle, so yours should look exactly the same….
I’ll try and have this on as soon as I can, so you can have a preview
(the weather out here is so unpredictable, I need dry weather so I can put on my eyelids with the 3M tape)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hoyinpng said:

LOL …
Actually I am a ‘chemistry’ dude.. :irock:
and its funny cause melting was the very first thing I thought of :chuckles:
but man that stuff stunk when I burned it.. it almost knocked me out

·
Registered
10,239 Posts

lol i went to your cardomain.. zooomin... and started craking up when i saw this...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Ahahah..
Actually, he was the father of the guy picking up the miata

I had a little chat with him, and he said he liked the Mazda 3 etc…
But yeah, his son bought that miata..

(never really noticed he was in the pic..ahah.. thanks for.. bringing that..up) :)

·
Registered
659 Posts

JustinsMazda3 said:
Cant wait!

I just ordered the Kenstyle Grill which is supposedly not supposed to need drilling but we will see, not a big deal if it needs too...

And my Accolade Eyelids are being painted as we speak... When I get the Grill I will post pics as well before and after paint... I cant wait to get it :)

Thanks and cant wait for the next set of pics!! Because it will give me another idea of what mine is going to look like :)
Hey Justin, let us know how the Kenstyle grille install goes, if no drilling is needed and it's just a matter of removing the stock grille and replacing it, then I'm up for it :)
Post heaps of pics too =]

Nice write up btw zooomin :goodjob:

·
Registered
170 Posts

zooomin said:
Hoyinpng said:

LOL …
Actually I am a ‘chemistry’ dude.. :irock:
and its funny cause melting was the very first thing I thought of :chuckles:
but man that stuff stunk when I burned it.. it almost knocked me out
im a bio dude but neva thought of using bacteria to eat it up. :roll:

·
Registered
495 Posts

i wish it woulda fit so perfectly on my car. are there any grilles designed for the s model?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ilaron said:
Very Nice !!

But where you ordered your grill??

I search it !!!!!!!!!!

I ordered it from here http://www.erebunicorp.com/accesscustom/maz3.htm .. straight from the source..
But I know of 3-4 other places you can get the exact same thing

rum, I don’t really see a gap, but if you do have a gap, what you ‘could’ do is add some filler (bondo etc) to the bottom of the thing or the top, sand it down, and have it repainted…
it’s a lot of work, but I think that’ll solve your problem… just a suggestion :dunno:

That’s why I test fitted mine first, cause if it didn’t fit, that’s what I was gonna do…

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Ok, I’ve added some ’finished product’ pics to the first post above :yay: . Hope you guys enjoy the pics, I snapped them yesterday, and I’ll take more today and in the next couple of days. :D

Here’s some more pics..

Also wanted to suggest something to the mods. We’ve noticed that a couple of members with the S or GT/GFX model have gone ahead and purchased these grills (Erebuni, Kenstyle etc) and have found they don’t fit. To reduce members wasting their money on these, is it possible to make this thread a *sticky* or make some sort of other thread that will show and tell future members that these grill only fit the GS/GX or i models. Anyway, just a suggestion :?

1 - 20 of 342 Posts