Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I want to get a tint bad. It gets super hot here in NC. plus..I think it would just look cool.
My only thing is that even if I get 50% all around, it will cause visibility problems. on rainy days at night.
The Rear view mirror won't adjust right - is that even possible ?..and all that.
Is there anything I can get that looks darker from outside...but from inside the car, its good visibility.

I know this is sort of a odd question..but thoughts ?

thanks

·
Registered
472 Posts
have you ever been inside a tinted car? it definitely looks darker outside than it is inside. I have 15% on the rear window and it doesn't hurt my visibility at night during heavy rain.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you just want to block some heat down, you can opt for "V-Kool Spectrally Selective Window Film"...
It is rated 70%, almost invisible, but reject highest amount of heat compared to dye-film, highly recommended for windows that require maximum protection from UltraViolet rays and drastic reduction of InfraRed heat without sacrificing visiblity.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
I have 20% all around and it is great, however, it does hamper night perception where I live ( back woods Washington State, no street lights...) I havent seen 50% used and if it is out there to be used, it certainly shouldn't hurt your night time visibility or day time for that fact. Most installers I know use nothing higher than 35% as this is the common State legal tint darkness.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
^^ he's right...many of the ceramic or fully metallic films offer great UV and heat protection without restricting visible light very much. actually, having fairly dark tint on the rear a lot better than without at night, because of all the SUV's, trucks and improperly installed HIDs on the road these days.

keep in mind that quality tint isn't cheap. i think maybe as much as x2 the cheap stuff for the film. install is the same.

imo, it's more about what the law will let you get away with.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm in NC too and I've been wondering the exact same questions. Also worried about the rear defroster and tint in the winter. But I'm guessing a good tint shop would know what they are doin. I'm trying to figure out tint colors for my car right now... Maybe a bronze tint to go with my rims. Or bluish if I paint my wheel calipers blue.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ceramic is the best for blocking heat. I got that for mine and was about twice as expensive but its guaranteed not to peel, buble or change color for life. Not much of a difference at night time either and definately helps the rear window at night.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have 13% Solar Gard HP film on my car all around, including the front windows but not the windshield. The lower % the darker, so mine's ONE of the darkest levels.

I can see perfectly clear with it.
Here are the pros and cons.

Pros: Amazing look on the car, makes it look far better than stock.
Less glare off of anything.
You don't really need sunblock constantly applied on those long, or even short trips!
The car stays cooler.
The interior fabrics do not fade because most of the UV and radiation is blocked.
Awesome for getting laid in the hatch area Errr, I mean excellent for keeping your cargo cool.
Gives your car that "custom" look.
Getting the right film will be guaranteed for the life of the car against any defects.
As far as visibility goes, it's MUCH easier on the eyes. How dark of an area have I driven my car in? Hard packed gravel roads after a 5 hour drive deep into cottage country, backing up with only my rear stock backup lights on, can see perfectly.
PRIVACY!!! So you can pick your nose as deeply as you like whilst waiting for that red light to turn green. (don't you hate it when you're fishing for gold, and some sexy redhead's gawking over at you all disgusted? Never again!!!)

Cons: Uhhh? Those kinky redheads that love nose pickers can no longer see in your vehicle.
Thieves have to get uncomfortably close to see if anything of value is in the car worth stealing.
Your... car no longer looks stock? Shit, I don't know. There are none in my opinion! ;)

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
15% all the way around and i can see fine

Good tint never peels and looks nasty ( only tested 4 years though)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I am having 50% done all the way around. I will post pics and a review once I receive the car.

Kev

·
Registered
610 Posts
20-30% tint looks good and doesn't obstruct view.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Amen, if you're wanting to go legal then you can go as much as 35%. We were trying to put together a group buy for NC people, and had something set up for I think $150 if we brought them 5 cars. 35% will reject something like 50% of the heat coming in. Personally once I have some money that's what I'll be getting.

As for how dark something is to hinder your visibility....... that's entirely subjective

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=dazed_and_confused link=topic=70210.msg1226460#msg1226460 date=1172215557]
I am having 50% done all the way around. I will post pics and a review once I receive the car.

Kev
[/quote]

I will wait for your pics :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
[quote author=bani link=topic=70210.msg1226412#msg1226412 date=1172211448]
Cons: tint eventually peels and looks nasty.
[/quote]

Not all of it does, and that's why you get a lifetime warranty from a shop that's going to stick around for a while...

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Can someone please recommend a shop that does tint and maybe the 3M clear bra's?? In the Toronto area..

This car needs tint - looks hot!!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
just go with a light tint, sort of more like factory....
I want just enough so that people cant make out who is in the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
hmm, i don't know much about tinting but i'm learning. I get my 3 in April and i'm thinking about tinting to obstruct alot of heat from coming in (leather seats). Solar guards at about 25% seem good so far. Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
[quote author=azasadny link=topic=70210.msg1226516#msg1226516 date=1172226297]
20-30% tint looks good and doesn't obstruct view.
[/quote]

+1

I have 35% and it does not hamper visibility at all. Of course I suppose that is assuming one has normal night vison.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 126 Posts