Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 19 year old male in the GTA who wants to buy a Mazda 3 GT w/ GFX. Now here's my problem, literally ANY vehicle short of a huffy bicycle will cost me $9-15k/year insurance! That's more than the car payments would be! I have 2 parents, both primary drivers on their cars, and a 17 year old sister primary on the minivan we share until I get myself a car. If I go get another car, the insurance is crazy. How are any of you guys getting affordable insurance? I'd even pay $5000 if I could, but I'm getting quotes 2-3x that! Any help is greatly appreciated. I would buy the car TOMORROW if I could get my insurance problems settled. I'm insured with CGU right now. I've tried almost every other company. Please give suggestions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And... I should probably also note I have 1 ticket on my record of doing 65kp/h in a 50 zone. So that's 1 ticket with NO points. That's my entire record. Hope that doesn't make such a big difference.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You could get it on the same policy as the minivan with you listed as 2nd driver (doesn't matter who's listed as primary or 2nd driver). You'd actually get a discount for multivehicle policy at most companies. Make sure you use a broker instead of dealing with the insurance comp. directly as a broker will find you the best deal. Good luck though as the insurance industry is a mess right now!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Move!

Or you could move to Winnipeg.
My brand new 3 GT w/GFX Sedan is going to be $1400/year.
(The fruits of no-fault insurance I guess)
I have insured my cars under my parents' names before, but here in Manitoba you get an extra license surcharge of between $200-$500 if you get in an accident with a car that isn't insured in your name.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
$9-$15k?!

Are insurance rates that much higher in Canada compared to US? I'm 17 and my rates, while comparatively high, are nowhere near $9, let alone $15k. I think it ranges $1.5k-$2k per year.

I have a couple discounts though- driver's ed, grades, and driving lessons, and no traffic violations.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I was qouted $8000K for the PRO before. I now pay $1400 for the Maxi and I'm insured for "free" for the PRO - under my mom's name.

A 99 Integra would cost me (fully covered) $2800-2900 with my broker or $4500+ with any LARGE insurance company. I was lookign at one that's why.

Lesson: go to a broker, not with a large company.

Until you're 25ish, it's better to drive an older car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to all those who suggested a broker... THANK YOU! ive always used a broker, or at least my dad has. so when i was getting 10-15k quotes it was because i was quoting myself alone. with all the discounts my family has altogether, i put myself on the van my sister is on and put my sister on the m3 i want to buy, and she was quoted somewhere between 2500-3000 and on the van, she WAS 2500 and now that im on it, it will go up 1-200. so getting this car ISNT cheap, but it sure as hell is a lot cheaper than 10-15k. i still wish it wasnt this bad. my finance payments will be 530/mo and my insurance will still be around 230! plus gas and im looking at almost a grand a month!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
That's too much - $1000/mth. You need to have a life more than a new car. If you EVER work O/T to afford your car, you messed up somewhere - don't get a new car yet. Once you're older and your insurance is cheaper and you make more $$$, then go for it. If at 19 you're getting a $25K car, what will you buy at 35 or 45???

I would seriously reconsider my financial situation in your case.

Just a thought... " Don't be hatin' " :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Insurance

I am 21 turning 22 in April... what a great gift (to myself) and my family is with BelairDirect and they quoted me at $2200. No accidents or tickets. I also called NationalBank (Assurnat) and they told me $2100. I said in both situations that I would be the owner, but I have been told to put my mother as the owner and that should drop my insurance to $1800-$1900 ( I am hopping anyway ).

How bad is insurance in TO, I heard they skyrocketed recently?

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
recently? its been over a year since everything has skyrocketed. if someone quoted me 2200 for a year's worth of ins here in toronto, id write them a check without blinking an eye. as i said above. if i were to get it under my name and on my own policy, its 9-15k! i dont know about elsewhere, but in toronto you cant have more than one car to your name. if you already have it set up that way, then you can, but for all new customers and new cars being added onto policies, u cant. so my dad already has a car, so does my mom and does my sister. so any new car HAS to go to me. ur lucky in your case u can add a car under ur mom. just do it and be happy your not in my shoes! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, the bad news has been had... I got a final quote from my broker today. so it seems, to get the mazda 3 GT will cost me $3500 / year!!! so that means no car for me. if anyone knows a good broker they recommend in the GTA, please let me know. cuz right now, high insurance = no car for me :(

·
Registered
773 Posts
I know, I know... What does your sister or mother drive? If you know the car has a lesser value why not become primary on their car and then become secondary on the MZ3. Get what im saying?

Right now im primary on my PRO 93'' and my mom on the Corolla 93'' (we like 1993 !?!?! :lol: ) I will call the insurance to ask them if I could go primary on the corolla and secondary on the Mz3, that should decrease my insurance by alot. I am hopping anyway... my mom is 55 that should also help hahah!

Poor you man, how old are you? Had any tickets / accidents? Paying $3500 for a car could insure me on a Benz lol! (my bad)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
actually 3500 WOULDNT insure you on a benz. i have one of those too. a 2002 s430. and a 2003 honda odyssey, and a 200 pontia montana. and if you read above, i ALREADY tried to go secondary on the car. you think 3500 was me primary!? i dont think so! me primary would be lots more. my mother is on the benz now, my dad is on the odyssey. my sister is on the pontiac. i got the quote for the mz3 by switching me onto the pontiac and my sister onto the mz3. but still expensive! would you believe i got an mz3 gt w/ gfx and spoiler and auto dim mirror all for $535 CAN/mo for 60 mos finance, tax in. but its the ins that's stopping me from getting the car! i called a broker from the co-operators today and i will discuss with them tomorrow, maybe ill get a cheaper rate through them. ill find out

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
srotman said:
OK, the bad news has been had... I got a final quote from my broker today. so it seems, to get the mazda 3 GT will cost me $3500 / year!!! so that means no car for me. if anyone knows a good broker they recommend in the GTA, please let me know. cuz right now, high insurance = no car for me :(
Try Johnson Ins at 1-800-268-5764 - they're great for us since my mom is a teacher and she has a great discount (which extends to family members too)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ill give them a shot. hopefully they have a dental association discount too. my dad is a dentist and we get that now, so if they dont have it, it'll probably be more expensive. but cant hurt to try. thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
it cost you $3500? that's expensive man, I don't know what's the rate in Ontario, but here in B.C., I can get insurance for an Integra (one of the cars with the most expensive insurance around) for $3500 (I only have 15% discount)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bc? can someone say PUBLIC INSURANCE. here in ontario we have private companies. so basically you call someone up, they ask you to bend over, and so on. and im torono, which compares to the rest of the country, including other cities in ontario, has higher insurance by as much as 500% based on statistics. for example, my grandfather had car insurance for $600 and this year his rates went up to $2400!!! and thats on a seniors discount plan for an 04 cavalier!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts