Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to keep things quiet. I understand the the exaust will get louder with an aftermarket performance exaust. What I want to know is who makes the less abnoxious sounding exaust system. Or any ideas to help keep things quiet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Greetings all, I live in Sydney, Australia, and have been reading this forum for the last month with great interest, you guys have a bit more available to you in the aftermarket compared to what we have here in Australia. If you are after a quiet exhaust system that doesn't look or sound ricey, I'd recommend Remus if they're readily available. The Remus system doesn't delete the second cat and IMO is one very good looking, and quiet system. For pics of the Remus fitted to the Mazda 3 check out this website:

http://www.bestmufflers.com.au

Click on the link for Remus there are pics of my car with the Remus installed, there's also a sound clip available. It's not a cheap system mind you, cost me $AUD900 fitted, not sure what they go for in the US.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
a silencer or resonator i think keeps thinks quieter.

im getting a coffee can looks like (No thread jacking!) but imma have a silencer just in case the sound blows. but someone told me cause we got 2.3 liters, our car wont really make a ricey sound like hondas. (they got 1.6~)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I'm in the process of trying to make my car as quiet as possible, especially with a header in the near future. There are 3 things I can think of.

1) A silencer (but your tip must be able to support it. I'm using the trubendz 2.5, and it's tip isn't connected to a muffler, so I can't use it)
2. Exhaust control valve (ECV) from apex'i. I think thebeansoldier was rocking it on his car, when he had it anyway.
3. Resonator. I'm about to add this bad boy and see how quiet it can be. http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1021_1033_1055&products_id=46&osCsid=c18fc011f1edfc6b3d3853f01b5fbe10

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
when will you people learn?

you can't get performance without adding sound. anything you add to the exhaust to keep it quiet is detrimental to performance. so quit your bitching and deal with it.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
[quote author=the415 link=topic=66343.msg1138152#msg1138152 date=1168229138]
when will you people learn?

you can't get performance without adding sound. anything you add to the exhaust to keep it quite is detrimental to performance. so quit your bitching and deal with it.
[/quote]

oh the 415 how i love your blunt statements. i'm sure this is the 90th thread about this.

search the exhaust section man, theres pages with sounds clips and dynos all over it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See its comments like that, that make the 16 year old kid that dosent know much say screw this and stops asking for help. Im sure you weren't born knowing everything about cars. Ya people are gonna ask questions you think are stupied. Give them a break. Im sure you asked some stupied questions along the way.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
[quote author=Philly link=topic=66343.msg1138231#msg1138231 date=1168231398]
See its comments like that, that make the 16 year old kid that dosent know much say screw this and stops asking for help. Im sure you weren't born knowing everything about cars. Ya people are gonna ask questions you think are stupied. Give them a break. Im sure you asked some stupied questions along the way.
[/quote]

We also learned how to type and speak English properly, too :exnbpup:

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
[/quote]

considering your the 40th 16 year old to do this. we dont care anymore. just search the exhaust section man. theres a ton of info.

we're sick of lazy people just making a new thread and expectiing everyone to just answer their questions. this is the internet. expect someone to bust your chops at least 15 times.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
[/quote]

psh, speak for yourself!

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
dont worry philly, not all of us here are immature.... 415 and small are the kinda guys you see go around and be annoying to ppl and try to act tough... on the internet...

there are nicer ways to say, look on other threads for sound/video clips..

but philly, here are some from youtube:

Corksport: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiiSz7OfWMA
Vibrant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgwVhBUXGuY
autoexe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy6oqvAWWX4
Borla catback+race pipe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmkOQtsUC6E
Mazdaspeed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilqHyNQCOO4
speed element: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=62773.0

there are others, but thats just what i found while bored, waiting to go to school. :)

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
You don’t know me so don’t assume shit about me. I’m not trying to be tough. I tell it like it is. You can ask any of the forum members around my area. I'm a very nice guy and I’m honest. I help anyone and everyone. People send me pm's all the time and I’m very happy to assist.

However, when a subject has been beaten to death countless times and people don't bother to search, it can become irritating. I’m all for helping people but you can't help people who don't try to help themselves. A simple search can answer many questions that are posted here on a daily basis. When you do research for yourself, you learn and retain more information.

Now I understand people are at different levels in relation to modding their car. I have no problem with that. There are a lot of beginners here and that's perfectly fine. We all have to start somewhere. I think the problem is that people that are beginning are trying to run before they walk. Maybe I’m just different but before I started modding cars, I learned how the car worked. It’s a simple concept that anyone can learn if they try.

Your car does 4 basic things.

1. Intake
2. Compression
3. Combustion
4. Exhaust

Once you've grasped that concept, you can go from there.

Air + fuel = hp

The more air and fuel you can get in the motor, the more hp you can make; but, you have to get it out somehow. The only way you can get it out efficiently, is freeing up the flow by increasing the size of the exhaust and removing restrictions.

Bigger exhaust + less restriction = more hp

Generally, more hp = more noise

So if you can understand that, you can determine your trade-off.

Do I want to get the most hp and sacrifice a quiet car with a free-flowing exhaust?

or

Do I want get something relatively quiet and sacrifice the most hp I can make by adding mufflers and resonators?

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
yeah, i admit your knowledable. its just you come off really strong, and sometimes it seems offense or rude. but seems like 415 covered what you should decide on philly. no sound or power.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
there are ways to tame sound and retain power. straight-through resonators or mufflers do not rob power.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=66343.msg1139048#msg1139048 date=1168286594]
there are ways to tame sound and retain power. straight-through resonators or mufflers do not rob power.
[/quote]

Well, some power will be robbed with a straight through resonator, just very little for a mildly modded NA car. I'm going to get mine flanged whenever I want to squeeze out the most out of the car.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I’m not trying to be tough. I tell it like it is.
Lol, you're supposed to sugar coat it dude! hehe

Anyways, my take is exhaust has a "Design" to it other than just sound and flow though those seem to be the dominant elements...

Remember that CATS are there to reduce emissions, therefore different cats vary in efficiency of how much they clean the exhaust air. Though this seems to be the least of everyone's worries as long as they pass smog... heh

Also people want high quality materials that last and won't change tones after 6 months, or break at the welds. Then customer service has something to deal with it, as does Price and availability which also play a big factor.

A little thinking:

Air can flow at the same CFM but produce different resonating frequencies.

One example of how Air flow does not affect SPL. Take a coke bottle and blow lightly into the bottle just right and it will produce a loud resonance. Do the same only at the wrong angle and you will have the same or more air flowing into the bottle, but with less noise... The same goes with RPM... our exhaust is going to hit varying resonances, peaks, and dips in frequency response dependent on RPM. So choosing an exhaust that has a loud resonance at 2800 rpm when you drive 80% at that rpm may not be the best decision.

Another example is one exhaust may produce a drone less sensitive to human hearing (though sometimes this is not desirable) while another produces a drone that's annoying (subjective). Yet both exhausts have the same "flow" of air...

Then our own human ears vary in sensitivity and some of us may be fine with a 250hz drone, while others prefer a 200hz drone. An example is of Joe Sixpack who listens to dual W7s in bandpass every day at 110dbs thus obliterating his sensitivity to a range of low frequency hearing... heh

Then there's psycho acoustics where multiple frequencies are working together to give individuals varying interpretations of sound. What sounds good to one person, may just sound like a fart in a garbage can to another. Then the dude with the civic is also there who LOVES the sound of a fart in a garbage can so he shops for the loudest method to celebrate that sound. (It's not their fault, but perhaps their cultural background.)

Also, if we ran a 6" pipe from our headers to the outside of our cars, it might not be healthy to have little to no back pressure.

So... The tradeoff may have a few more factors in the whole "louder is better"...

Louder is better IF you disregard frequency, cultural background, hearing ability, and abide by the general rule of thumb that louder means less restricted air flow.

hehe, i'm just poking around...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Borla.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts