1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Job: Tweeter Installation
Time:30-45 min
Difficulty: 4 outa 10

We all know the stock tweeters that come with the 3 stink. I recently purchased a set of infinity 60.7 components and have finally gotten around to installing them. While searching around the forums i didnt see a walk through on how to install the tweeter in the stock sail panel. So here is my first attempt at a walk through. Productive criticism is appreciated.

To start off many aftermarket tweeters are small enough to fit in the stock location with a little glue of some sort. The tweeters that came with my components were quite large and they bent the plastic in the stock location. Also, i wanted the imaging decent at the stock location so i chose to cut out the sail panel and install with the provided mount bracket.

Start by cutting out the plastic in the sail panel. What i did was take a big circle out of the middle and then cut a little out at a time. Then i would check with the mount to see if i had cut enough yet. It was time consuming but i think if i was careless it would not look too good. On the back of the sail make sure you cut out the stock mounting plastics and the pillar that is also connected to it. I have not tried to mount the sail back in my car yet, so im not sure if removing the pillar will present a problem.

This is the sail before.

And the sail after

Make sure you clear the back of the sail too.
Before

After

Once you have finished cutting out the plastic, take a piece of sandpaper and clean the area of all the cut plastic. Then you can start leveling out the area. This is important to do right so that the aftermarket mount meet the sail flush. I took my dremel at low rpms and went over the area little by little. Once you have leveled it out with the dremel, take some sandpaper and carefully smooth the surface. The sandpaper causes the plastic to discolor some, so i took a lighter to the area for a few seconds and it seemed to bring the plastic back to its original color.

Now its time to mount the tweeter. Infinity give you two options when installing the tweeter. The one i went with allows me aim the tweeter to get the best imaging possible. Insert the mount into the newly cut hole. Secure the mount with the nut that is supplied. Then go and mount the tweeter.

The tweeter in the mount already

Now in the sail.

With the nut.

Finally the finished product.

Is it perfect? No. I did cut the hole a little big. I might pick up a pair of extra sails and do the cutting again. This is not a perfect science and there is not exact way to install the tweeters. Just take it easy and be careful. Once you done mounting the tweeter run the wires down to the crossover and enjoy. Hope this helps anyone who was worried about cutting the sail. For any questions just message me. Enjoy!

·
Registered
30,738 Posts
Looks exactly like I did mine....it doesn't hurt removing the one bracket/support either....mines been fine for over a year. I recommend using a file to get the hole nice and snug (don't try to cut the entire thing until it fits....get it close then file)

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Nice write up! :goodjob:

Here's some additional info for anyone installing Infinity Reference component tweeters. If you don't want to cut up your sail panel, I found out that the Reference tweeters actually fit in the "cup" that the factory ones normally sit in. Simply unclip the factory tweeter, set the Reference tweeter in, and use some hot glue to hold it in place (the clips won't hold it). When you're done, your sail panels will look totally stock, and if you ever decide to put the factory tweeters back in, it's simply a matter of pulling the Reference ones out and snapping the factory ones back in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Zoom3, great idea! I have done similar but really wanted to do something like yours, to get a better chance finding setup for the "sweet spot".

I have cut out the factory plastic pegs and glue-gunned aftermarket tweeters behind the plastic grill also.
BUT, I never thought of cutting out the grill and installing the mounting cups...good idea.

Looks like 1" tweeters fits the best with the factory "pods", should the tweeter material be of concerns when using hot-glue? I worried so I made a mask from masking tape, taping the tweeter's outer edge for the glue contact. I am using soft dome directly behind factory pod.

Question:

What frequency for the crossover point are you using, and with what type of music?

ERiC

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
good job, but its a little easier to buy the blank panels from the i model and make your own hole. they were only $8.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts