Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Currently planning my 2.5 swap in a 2007 MS3 and have been using the established threads with great joy. granted they have been somewhat overwhelming with information i have to hand it to you all its fascinating learning what everyone has done.

Onto my issue. My understanding is that we can use the timing from the 2.5 as its much beefier compared to the MS3. i also know that we have to use the timing cover and valve cover from the 2.3 on the 2.5. So when it comes to the VVT, am i using the 2.5 VVT and putting into the 2.3 cover and splicing it into the wiring for the original 2.3 VVT or is there another way? sorry if this is a newb question but i have gone through Rickaris and datsuns information and this is where im getting confused as its mentioned to get an engine with the correct VVT (oval/Rectangular) but then its mentioned you can just splice it in anyway? i hope its clear where my confusion lies.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, i have a more visual brain so reading everything maybe a connector got loose in my own head. that being said very excited to learn more.

Appreciate any help

Cheers
Christian

·
Registered
420 Posts
The later years of the Ford engine used a different connector for the VVT. Whenever I do a swap I do a part search for 2011 Fusion engine, which consists of the models that are directly compatible without the need to splice in a new connector. If you buy one of the newer engines (I am not sure what year the transition was) you can buy the correct connector to match the VVT from rock auto and splice it in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Davids this is great information. I was wanting to ideally stick to around a 2015 engine just because of it being newer and currently on KQ its actually cheaper to buy a 2015 then it is a 2011 but i will look again and plan accordingly. Im sure more questions will come up as this will be my first swap but im excited to get stuck in! i also have the option to use a JDM import engine for only 2K local pickup, currently weighing up the proc and cons of each...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just complete a 2.5 high comp swap on my 06 with a 2011 mkz hybrid motor. I kept the vvt and used the one in the 2011 motor. My 2006 wiring harness plugged right in and I have watched timing advance via my scan tool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts