Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the How To section, thought it might have a better shot here...

Hello,

I emailed Pioneer, on this... below is what they said. Did anyone find if there was a closer place to grab the signal from other than where frack showed us? IE in the radio harness?
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=27776.msg379324#msg379324

ME: I have a 2004 Mazda 3. The VSS data comes over a CanBUS wire which is serial (digital). Will this work with my unit?

PIONEER: The VSS connection on all Pioneer, in-car navigation is compatible with digital or analog speed pulse signals.

Thanks,
Pasta
Posted on: December 17, 2006, 04:35:14 AMPosted by: automaticman
The short version is that our car do not have a VSS wire at all becuase they use the newer CAN bus system. I've heard that you can use the ourput shaft speed sensor found in a two pin plug on top of the transmission (accessable from the hood). I have never tried it myself but it seems like it would work. There are several threads on this subject with pictures of the plug. Another option is to buy a CAn interface for a car from a company like DEI, PAC, or Soundgate.
Posted on: December 15, 2006, 02:03:31 PMPosted by: tale
Hello,

I am installing AVIC N3 and I am having trouble with connecting the speed signal, I tried connecting onto the engine harness but I guess that is a digital signal.

Where is this signal located that can be used by the N3, or do I have to buy a speed sensor by Pioneer?

Also has anyone attempted to keep the Display, I connected it but it only shows the ambient temperature.

Tale

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so I went to my Mazda dealer with the print outs from Frack and we hooked up the signal from on top of the trans.

Here are the facts since I had a hell of a time getting confirmation on this.
Some of this stuff I'm sure has been said already but has been in different threads.

• Pioneer in-dash navs (avic, etc..) WILL accept the digital CanBUS signal.
    You CAN grab this signal where Frack says (link below), though I've seen some threads with other locations.
    The in-harness signal will not work.
    Make sure you reset the sensor in the GPS. You'll know it's working properly when you go to the connection status screen... you'll hear and see the pulses coming through.
    Once you reset things it may take some time for your unit to "learn". It will switch to 3d from simple hybrid.

Hope this all helps :)
Pastaman

Some nice keywords: VSS, speed sensor, CanBUS, AVIC-N3, Pioneer, Navigation

·
Registered
56 Posts
[quote author=pastaman link=topic=65977.msg1140431#msg1140431 date=1168356397]
Ok, so I went to my Mazda dealer with the print outs from Frack and we hooked up the signal from on top of the trans.

Here are the facts since I had a hell of a time getting confirmation on this.
Some of this stuff I'm sure has been said already but has been in different threads.

• Pioneer in-dash navs (avic, etc..) WILL accept the digital CanBUS signal.
    You CAN grab this signal where Frack says (link below), though I've seen some threads with other locations.
    The in-harness signal will not work.
    Make sure you reset the sensor in the GPS. You'll know it's working properly when you go to the connection status screen... you'll hear and see the pulses coming through.
    Once you reset things it may take some time for your unit to "learn". It will switch to 3d from simple hybrid.

Hope this all helps :)
Pastaman

Some nice keywords: VSS, speed sensor, CanBUS, AVIC-N3, Pioneer, Navigation
[/quote]

when you say the "in harness single will not work" what do you mean???

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I know, and have heard, the signal that is in the harness is a stepped signal (I don't know the technical term) that works with the factory volume adjust... when you go faster it gets louder. However this is not a speed signal as you would need it for the NAV and will not work for those purposes.

Pasta

·
Registered
56 Posts
[quote author=pastaman link=topic=65977.msg1162075#msg1162075 date=1169457158]
As far as I know, and have heard, the signal that is in the harness is a stepped signal (I don't know the technical term) that works with the factory volume adjust... when you go faster it gets louder. However this is not a speed signal as you would need it for the NAV and will not work for those purposes.

Pasta
[/quote]

So, i guess the only way to get the avic-n3 speed sensor signal is thru that $190 piece from soundgate, huh? That kinda stinks. Would you know how to wire up the canpulse3 piece? :?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, you can wire it from the trans... see the link at the top to the other post with pictures.

[quote author=dmz2711 link=topic=65977.msg1162237#msg1162237 date=1169478768]
[quote author=pastaman link=topic=65977.msg1162075#msg1162075 date=1169457158]

Pasta
[/quote]

So, i guess the only way to get the avic-n3 speed sensor signal is thru that $190 piece from soundgate, huh? That kinda stinks. Would you know how to wire up the canpulse3 piece? :?
[/quote]

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
OK just to clarify. The reason the signal a the transmission works is because that is the actuall sensor wire going to the CAN controller. It IS a digital signal, but it is NOT a CAN signal. By digital what we mean here is that it blinks on and off as the transmission rotates. The transmission spins faster, the signal blinks faster - as opposed to an analog signal that would be a steady but increasing voltage as the transmission spun faster. This is the type of digital signal that the pioneer is designed to utilize.

The reason the "in harness" wire will not work is because that wire is the CAN network wire. It caries serial data (all kinds of info, one part of which happens to be vehicle speed) in a similar fashion to the way a USB wire carries info. There is now way for the Pioneer to integrate with this because it is not equipped to decode the CAN encrypted signal. There are modules that you can buy specifically for this, as well as CAN modules to send signals for door locks, door pins, parking lights etc - all through the CAN wire.

*edit*

Having just reread the first post, I notice that you explain how the Pioneer switched from 3D to simple hybrid. The only time it will go to simple hybrid mode is if the navigation is NOT receiving a speed signal that it can use. So if you've reset the initialization process after hooking the speed wire to the transmission and it says simple hybrid, then you either got the wrong wire or that output speed signal is for some reason not compatible with the Pioneer (maybe it is not a linear signal?) . If that's the case then we are indeed back to the Soundgate piece...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After connecting the wire off the trans and resetting the NAV it does go from simple hybrid to 3D... it was a bit confusing how I wrote it. I'm no expert... I've just been trying to figure things out along the way. All I know for sure is that it works now the way I have it set up :)

[quote author=automaticman link=topic=65977.msg1163867#msg1163867 date=1169529474]
*edit*
Having just reread the first post, I notice that you explain how the Pioneer switched from 3D to simple hybrid. The only time it will go to simple hybrid mode is if the navigation is NOT receiving a speed signal that it can use. So if you've reset the initialization process after hooking the speed wire to the transmission and it says simple hybrid, then you either got the wrong wire or that output speed signal is for some reason not compatible with the Pioneer (maybe it is not a linear signal?) . If that's the case then we are indeed back to the Soundgate piece...
[/quote]

·
Registered
64 Posts
So maybe I'm not seeing it, but was it discussed anywhere where this wire would be on the 5AT? I can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Indeed... took a long time to find the right info. Now on to install the Hadley's I have sitting here :shock:

·
Registered
64 Posts
[quote author=dmz2711 link=topic=65977.msg1165035#msg1165035 date=1169588601]
[quote author=ronus20 link=topic=65977.msg1164964#msg1164964 date=1169586751]
So maybe I'm not seeing it, but was it discussed anywhere where this wire would be on the 5AT? I can't seem to find it.
[/quote]

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=27776.msg379324#msg379324

[/quote]

Maybe you didn't read my post correctly. I know where to find it on the 4 speed automatic transmission, I'm asking where is it on the 5AT (5 Speed Automatic Transmission). I've looked and that plug is definately not there (at least in that location). Can anyone else provide info? Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts