1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Nice what you can do with freedom in design. They are definately based on the same platform but came up with vastly different animals.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The significant difference is a good thing to me, because that means I haven't bought something with Genuine Ford Quality (tm).

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Nice another topic moved to me. Sweet. I love this new Volvo. Can't wait to test drive the turbocharge AWD model.

·
Registered
481 Posts
ya the S40 is sweet... i sat in it at the NAIAS last week... love the floating dash!
If Mazda doesnt bring out AWD in the 3 someday I might have to get myself an AWD V50 :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
I saw the similarity as soon as I saw it at the car show as well!

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
If Mazda doesn't come out with an AWD in the 3 then the S40 will be on my next shopping list. With all the snow this year, I'm craving for AWD. 200Hp and AWD mazda 3. That would be the perfect car for me...maybe the MSP3 will solve that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My dealer told me that the 3 was designed in Volvo' Germany plant!?!?

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I'm with you on the AWD. If they don't come out with one for the mazdaspeed 6 I will jump ship and go with a AWD 3 or Volvo.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I like it. Will it have a manual transmission? I heard that it will only be auto at first, with manual being introduced in the summer. It would really suck if it didn't get a manual.

·
Registered
481 Posts
USCMazda3 said:
I like it. Will it have a manual transmission? I heard that it will only be auto at first, with manual being introduced in the summer. It would really suck if it didn't get a manual.
yup the S40 will have a manual available...

·
Registered
627 Posts
woah

Maybe the S40 will be my next MZ3 when I have more $$ to spend on gas/maintenance. 218HP, woot!

NOICE.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hmmm, I was just thinking about something...

The S40 will come with a turbo and AWD as well as a 6-speed manual. Those holding out for the Mazdaspeed 3 can probably get a pretty accurate picture of what they should expect by looking at the new Volvo.

Sadly, the S40 with the turbo and 6-speed could do no better than 6.3s from 0-60 in the hands of Car&Driver. And those guys are good. For having so much more power and TQ, it really isn't that much faster than the 3s. And I'm damn sure it doesn't handle or brake as well. It weighs nearly 3100lbs! And nearly $30K!!! Give me a G35 6-spd at that price!

I considered the S40 for a few minutes, but decided to stick with the 3 instead.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
You call 6.3s bad? I'd say that's pretty good, given that the S40 weighs 300 lbs more than the Mz3 and includes AWD, 1.2 seconds off a 0-60 is enormous, given the class of car. It certainly bests the Audi A4 3.0 and probably handles just as well, if not betterl (and probably costs as much).

Needless to say tho, that the Mz3's 7.5 second 0-60 sprint on 160 horses is excellent for it's own class.

·
Registered
272 Posts
zaimon said:
You call 6.3s bad? I'd say that's pretty good, given that the S40 weighs 300 lbs more than the Mz3 and includes AWD, 1.2 seconds off a 0-60 is enormous, given the class of car. It certainly bests the Audi A4 3.0 and probably handles just as well, if not betterl (and probably costs as much).

Needless to say tho, that the Mz3's 7.5 second 0-60 sprint on 160 horses is excellent for it's own class.
When did I say it was bad? Just disappointing. I mean it has 218HP/236TQ!! I expected it to have a little more hustle than that. Frankly, I more impressed with the 3.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts