Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to another dealer about the specifics of the radio system, and without missing a beat, he directly insisted that tinkering with the stock system will void the car's warranty. I cocked my eyebrow and practically did a double take, wondering if I actually had heard him right. I asked him what kind of ridiculous policy that was, since I've never heard of such a stupid justification to void a warranty in my life. I've never met anyone who had a warranty voided because of a stereo installation. What kind of BS is this?

Needless to say, he didn't answer my question, he was more concerned with telling me not to do it because I'd be voiding the warranty. Another useless salesperson who gives answers to questions you don't ask ... :roll:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
They cant void your warranty for modding your car. They must prove the item you installed on your was the primary cause for the damage.

Therefore, they cant void your warranty by just looking at the equipment you installed.

·
Registered
984 Posts
anamnesis said:
I talked to another dealer about the specifics of the radio system, and without missing a beat, he directly insisted that tinkering with the stock system will void the car's warranty. I cocked my eyebrow and practically did a double take, wondering if I actually had heard him right. I asked him what kind of ridiculous policy that was, since I've never heard of such a stupid justification to void a warranty in my life. I've never met anyone who had a warranty voided because of a stereo installation. What kind of BS is this?

Needless to say, he didn't answer my question, he was more concerned with telling me not to do it because I'd be voiding the warranty. Another useless salesperson who gives answers to questions you don't ask ... :roll:
I don't think that would void your warranty. Now I could understand if you put a turbocharger or something like that onto your car. But a stereo? Puhleeze.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Even if you put a turbo or nitrous on your car, they still cant.

They can refuse to work on it, but if it doesnt damage anything on the car they cant void your warranty.

·
Registered
272 Posts
They can refuse to work on it, but if it doesnt damage anything on the car they cant void your warranty.
When do you need the warranty? When nothing is damaged???

Aren't "refuse to work on it" and "void the warranty" similar?

Bruno, very confused...

·
Registered
984 Posts
vaBooM said:
Even if you put a turbo or nitrous on your car, they still cant.

But you are causing a change in the performance of the car's engine. I'm confused too.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
The Magnusson-Moss warrantee act states that the change you make must be DIRECTLY responsible for the damage caused. In other words, if you put an intake in, and a strut breaks, they have nothing to do with one another, so the dealer still must fix the strut.

Now, if like something got sucked into the engine and clogged it, you might have a harder time.

·
Registered
984 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
The Magnusson-Moss warrantee act states that the change you make must be DIRECTLY responsible for the damage caused. In other words, if you put an intake in, and a strut breaks, they have nothing to do with one another, so the dealer still must fix the strut.

Now, if like something got sucked into the engine and clogged it, you might have a harder time.
Works for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ZoomZoom,

I once read about that act awhile back ... couldn't remember the name ... but this is exactly why I looked at the man like he was from another planet. I said that I have enough experience with mobile stereo systems to know what I'm doing, but he continued to disagree. I think I actually said "you've got to be kidding me" and he instantly started liking me less because I wasn't the average doormat customer. He started citing things like blown fuses or bad wiring being the cause for computer problems and ignition failure, blah blah blah, generally talking out his ass. I quickly changed the subject to finance rates because I knew he was clueless and/or a crook. Certainly won't be buying from him when I place my order in a few months.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Refuse to work on it > You gotta go to another dealer. They didnt void your warranty, they just dont want to be liable for problems associated with aftermarket parts. ie: lowered suspension, they cant get it on their lift.

Void Warranty > they found something that you installed, that is the direct cause of a factory part failure. ie: nitrous that cause your piston to shoot out the hood.

Big difference between the two...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2005 Mazda 3s, AT, 20k miles that started to be sluggish almost suddenly. I towed it into a dealer, they found CEL code P0134, the O2 sensor, so they replaced it but problem persists.
They started to look further into the PCM, but they found an aftermarket power cable connected to the battery's positive terminal. I just bought this car used back in January 07 and did not know anything about this situation. They suspected there used to be an aftermarket amplifier installed but had been removed since they could not find the amplifier anywhere in the car.
For this reason, they refuse to work anything further unless I authorize and pay them $267 as a diagnostic fee. They suspect this aftermarket "amplifier" power cable caused the PCM getting shot. I do not buy their "theory" since this cable has been there since I bought it and I didn't touch it, I didn't even know it was there. I have put a fight but they wouldn't change their mind. I talked to the technician who worked on the car, and he was pretty sure the PCM is shot and will need a new one and most likely will not be under warranty. They said the aftermarket "cable" will most likely void the PCM warranty.
I just would like to hear some opinions from you guys.

One more question is, if I take the car home, remove the cable and bring it back to a different dealer for warranty repair, will that different dealer have any record of previous dealer work on this car?

Thank you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
a lot of it depends on how you approach the new dealer. If you go in there saying "hey i was just at _______ and they claim an upgraded power wire on my battery from the previous owner is causing my 02 sensor to go bad, which we all know is complete BS. I've heard nothing but great things about the service department here, so i figured i'd drive the extra distance and see if it's all true."

Right then and there the service writer(most likely who you will be talking to when you get to the dealer) will almost feel obligated to look past the wire and have a technician find the cause. The reason your O2 keeps going out is because they are just replacing the part, not following the code. A CEL is not to tell you THIS PART IS BROKEN. It's supposed to aid you in your diagnostics to help find WHY it is broken. Clearly a poorly trained technician worked on the car, and the ONLY reason they refused to work on it the second time is because it would be a come-back, and neither the dealer nor the technician would make any money off of it, because they neglected to fix it right the first time. MAKE SURE when they send you your CSI(if they haven't already) you give the dealer a really bad review. You might think those CSI's they mail you are useless, but CSI's are the single biggest concern of not only the service department, but the sales department as well. If CSI scores are low, technician pay goes down, dealer rating goes down, AND the CSI score determines the dealerships inventory. Poor CSI means none of the specialty cars, and an overall poor inventory.

I just went through the same crap two days ago. My car just hit 18k miles, it's about 8 months old and i'm the original owner. I put some simota carbon fiber intake thing on it so i would not have to replace air filters, just clean them. Recently it started rattling at stop lights, which i figured it just came loose. But if i have the car in the sport mode and try to engine brake, the whole motor rocks. I took it to the dealer, came back 6 hours later when they called, and when i get there they say "your intake is restricting the engine's movement." Keep in mind i'm still wearing my Mercedes-Benz shirt. Their technician is trying to tell ME, another technician(and most likely more formally trained, but that's neither here nor there) that the intake is RESTRICTING my engines movement.

At this point i was just in shock that he would try to blow such smoke up my arse. I grabbed the intake, shook it back and forth, and said "so this rubber tube and carbon fiber box that's being held down on the STOCK rubber bushing by a 10mm bolt is restricting my entire engine from moving?" and he says "yes." I proceed with "then please explain to me why the engine is moving MORE than it should be." he got quiet and said "what you are feeling is completely normal." The last thing i said before leaving those idiots was "i thought it was being restricted, so that's normal? I guess i'm going to another dealer to find out what was WRONG with my car for the past 17k miles since obviously now it's normal. Thank you guys you just might be the best service department i've ever seen. I'm gonna stop by the front desk and pick up an application." Needless to say i will not be dealing with that dealership ever again.

·
Registered
885 Posts
i got called into the office after my first service and told my ENTIRE engine warranty was void because of my AEM CAI, i'm going on over 44,000 miles now with no issues (one CEL, fixed it myself) the dealership ruined me for mazdas, i won't buy another one

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
[quote author=jplus link=topic=738.msg1314490#msg1314490 date=1175797079]
i got called into the office after my first service and told my ENTIRE engine warranty was void because of my AEM CAI, i'm going on over 44,000 miles now with no issues (one CEL, fixed it myself) the dealership ruined me for mazdas, i won't buy another one
[/quote]Did something go wrong? They cannot by law void the warranty unless they can prove something like your intake sucked a squirrel in caused the engine to blow up. There are laws. Take the car elsewhere

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
[quote author=jplus link=topic=738.msg1314490#msg1314490 date=1175797079]
[/quote]

Know your rights and tell your dealership to stuff it up their ass. (put it in nicer terms). Only time they can void it if in fact your CAI was the DIRECT cause of the issue.... ie sucking up water, shorting maf wires, over oiling filter and f'ing up maf sensor.

Dont let a retarded dealership service person ruin your day. I was told that using a handheld code scanner to check a code would void my warranty over the phone, I asked to talk to the manager and explained what the lady just said, and he was like no by all means get the code scanned and call me back and I will tell you what it is related to. Sure enough he told me what the code was, so I cleaned my maf and reset my ecu, done deal.

They deal with idiots all day, it rubs off on them. Smack some sense into them.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Dealers get reimbursed from the manufacturer at a much lesser rate for warranty work so they will always try to weasel out of it. Familiarize yourself with the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, and get an attorney involved if you have to. They must honor your warranty, therefore they must also work on it. I would pay a lawyer a couple hundred bucks before I would ever let some lazy dealer screw me out of even more money for something that is their de-facto responsibility to repiar.

·
Registered
885 Posts
no, haven't had any problems, he just wanted to "make me aware" that they wouldn't be honoring the warranty because of the CAI

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't know why anyone would bring their car to a dealership with aftermarket parts installed on the engine. They pull this BS every time, it's less hassle to just bring the car in stock.

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
[quote author=edrection link=topic=738.msg1322689#msg1322689 date=1176159369]
point is, if you fool with your car, you better be able to fix it. otherwise dont risk a +2hp CAI.
[/quote]

or makesure its a mazdaspeed part installed by the dealer and you wont have any problems.

I needed a new MAF couple months back. I also have a Mazdaspeed CAI. Had no problems at all getting a new MAF put on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts