Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way that you can deduce the car's build date from the VIN? For example when was this JM1BK343041122494 car built?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Are you looking for the EXACT build date? If so, why? The month and year of build is shown on the driver's door B-pillar.

VIN's show color, options, engines, etc., but not the build date.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My reason for asking is since many of the early build date cars seem to be experiencing annoying little defects, when I'm finally get my 3, I want as late of a build date as possible. Since the VIN is available at mazdausa.com I was going to use it as extra information before I even went to the dealer.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I asked a similar question about my VIN to Preston Wong, a moderator on another Mazda forum, and he said that you can look at the 12th and 13th digits of the VIN to determine an approximate build date.

My VIN is JM1BK323X41142481, and he said that my car was built in the second half of January. Since the 12th digit is "1", I suspect this signifies the month in which it was built (January), and the 13th digit is a "4", which could mean it was built in the 4th week of January. I could be completely wrong, but that is what makes sense to me :)

Preston also said that my car should be at or near my port by now(Port Jersey - the furthest of the U.S. ports from Japan), and should be at my dealer in PA by the beginning of April, if not earlier (hopefully). :razz:

Also, he mentioned that the cars in my VIN range are already showing up a dealers in Toronto, as he knows more about Canadian deliveries then U.S ones.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Correction to my previous post :(

Preston made a slight mistake, in that it is the 13th and 14th digits, not 12th & 13th digits that helps identify the car. He said that a fairly accurate way to tell which car is yours relative to the date it was made is to look at the last 5 digits. Since mine is 42481, that signifies that my car was the 42,481st N . American Mazda3 to come off the assembly line, and the range of cars that my car falls in was a 2nd half of January build.

Not sure if this makes sense or not, but I guess my theory of using the 2 digits to find out month and week of assembly is wrong. Oh well.

EDIT: Part of your post was edited. PM me (dinu01) if you have any questions.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Google is a wonderful tool.............

"Tips to understanding your vehicles serial (VIN) number

They are as follows:

1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.
For example: U.S.A.(1or4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z)

2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A),
BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B),
Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).

3rd character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.

4th to 8th characters- Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.

9th character- Identifies VIN accuracy as check digit.

10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T),
1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)

11th character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.

12th to 17th characters- Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production
as it rolled of the manufacturers assembly line. "

·
Registered
42 Posts
BMM3 said:
2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A),
BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B),
Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).
So his car is a Mecury3?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Mazdas manufactured in Japan have VINs that start with JM. That I know 100% sure, so M is Mazda not Mercury.

If everyone checks VINs on Proteges, 3s, MPVs, Miatas and RX-8s you will see that.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting, so by the last 5 reasoning, the 2 3s that I've been looking at (both around 22000) were probably built in early December? Just a guess.

Also if anyone wants a collectors item Paul Miller Mazda in Kentucky has 03693!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts