Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently I've noticed a noise coming from what sounds like the front left of my 2010 Mazda Axela 2.0 hatchback, which has done 70,000 kms.

When driving along, I start to notice the noise from about 20km/h, and it sounds like a rhythm, almost like the noise of having a nail in a tyre - that is, the faster you go, the more pronounced the noise is and the more you feel the (ever so slight) vibration.

I've checked all 4 tyres twice and there are no screws or anything lodged in them, and the tyres themselves are all only 500km old, so basically brand new, and all four tyres were professionally aligned at the time of install.

I hear the noise while driving straight, but if I turn the wheel to the RIGHT, the noise becomes more pronounced. If I turn the wheel to the left, the noise just remains the same as if I were travelling straight.

I've gone in to an empty carpark and with the steering wheel at full lock on both sides, have tested things under hard acceleration to check the CV joints, and I don't hear any clicking on either side.

All four tyres/lugnuts are tight.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
238 Posts
You said the wheels were professionally aligned, but is there any reason to believe the LF (left-front) tire/wheel is [now] out of balance? At face value, it sounds like a failing LF wheel bearing -- turning right shifts the vehicle weight leftward, putting additional load on the worn bearing and amplifying the noise. You might consider having the LF wheel re-balanced, just to rule it out. If you've got a infrared temp gun, you can try pointing it at the LF hub after a drive duplicating the noise; compare its temp to the RF hub to see if the LF is hotter (evidence of increased friction of a worn bearing).

·
Registered
137 Posts
You could swap or rotate tires and see if the noise stays or moves that way you might eliminate the tire as the noise maker. If tires are fine, then possibly wheel bearing as others have suggested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Long overdue update, due to COVID things have taken a while.

I took the car to a mechanic, and asked him to check all four wheel bearings and CV joints. He advised they were all normal and not in need of replacement, and that the noise might be due to the tread from the new tyres.

Frustrated that I still couldn't find a cause, I took the front left wheel off (the location I suspected the noise was coming from) and inspected it. I noticed the wheel weights from the recent wheel balance had come off. My thinking was that an out of balance wheel might be causing the noise and by this stage I had done about 1,000kms with the noise occurring.. I took the car back and the shop re-balanced all four wheels (with the wheel weights glued properly this time) and they moved the left front wheel to the left rear, as they said it would reduce the level of noise.

The level of noise didn't change and the noise still persisted...

I took the car to a wheel repair shop, who identified the now left rear (previously left front as they were swapped by the tyre shop) wheel was slightly buckled, most likely from a pothole they said. They repaired the wheel to its original state ensuring it was true/proper.

The noise still persists...

So I am now completely out of ideas and very frustrated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would go back to the cv axle. The can cause horrendously vibrations and sometimes noise when the inner joint is the culprit. The outer is the one you hear clicking when they are worn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after another couple of hundred KMs since having the wheel straightened and tyres re-fitted and balanced, I now have a permanent warning light appearing on my dashboard - the orange DSC dynamic stability control warning light is illuminated when the car is running.

I refuse to believe in coincidences, so suspect it is something to do with the steering that is causing the noise/vibration, and now the warning light to appear.

Time to go back to the mechanic and see what's going on...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts