1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
as i've replied with in many threads, i recently installed an 18" vibrant resonator to calm my exhaust. it hasn't done too much other than refine the sound.

this was another choice i considered. i'm anxious to see what it will do in terms of quietness. looks like another muffler, basically.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Yeah to me it seems like ultra quiet = power robbing. I don't think it can be done otherwise...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
supposedly its a straight through resonator (kind of like the magnaflow mufflers) so there is minimal restriction on flow.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
quiet = resrictive air flow loosing power

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so is there any other way to quiet down a set of headers without restricting performance? and please no wise ass comments like dont get them

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
i've been trying to find the same answer, crazyfast. believe me, i'd like to have a mild setup with the gains. no doubt, there are gains to be had but noise will certainly be a problem.

if i eventually run a header i think it might require a high-flow cat, an ultra quiet resonator and some sort of large muffler to even try to quiet it down.

i don't even mind the noise, but the droning is fucking terrible sometimes even with my current setup.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i agree about the droning. the noise isnt great either though... darn cops... right now i'm running a custom exhaust with a magnaflow muffler and high flow cat. i also have a 12 inch resonator and it sounds amazing!! its not loud at all until u mash the gas and then it sounds mean as hell, but a header might change all that...

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
the vibrant header is #1 on my list... but then i think "damn, my car is loud enough NOW".

then i dream of forced induction...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mmm.... turbo....

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I have it, just waiting on some funds to get it installed. I want to get everything flanged though, so for normal days, highway driving, etc., I'll have this particular res to balance out the header and highflow cat. For days I don't care about noise, jack up the car, remove the res and cat and just have one long ass straight pipe 8)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, as soon as u get it installed tell us what u think about it (how it sounds, performance loss, ect...). how much did it cost u and what headers do u have?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
i think 3 owners are the only people i know of that work so hard to make their car quiet. you guys spend more money on exhaust than exotic owners do. hahaha.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
true, but their exhaust costs $20,000 (they just hide the price of the exhaust in the $300,000 sticker on the window). i just really dont want to be another ricer cruising around town annoying the hell out of everybody, but i really want the hp! 8)

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
if you want power you're going to have to deal with the sound. people are quick to call someone else a ricer but you have no idea what is done to their car. in some cases, it might actually be pretty quick.

if you do it right, you wont be "another ricer". just understand that more hp = more sound. there's no way around it on a n/a car. adding a ton of resonators to quiet the car is a waste of money. stop thinking about 1.8l civics. we have torquey engines and the sound won't be obnoxiously high pitched. hell, the 2.0 in my focus with race header and exhaust was loud but very deep. with my cams, it idled like a v8.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats all very true, but i still think it might be worth a shot especially considering the reply i got from vibrant about their resonator:

"Our Ultra Quiet Resonators work well because they are larger than your average resonator. Bigger body resonator = better sound deadening. They are not at all restrictive. In fact, they feature the same true straight through internals of all of our universal mufflers and standard style resonators.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Dino Rossi
Vibrant Performance"

seems like it might work ok without a large restiction on performance to me...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i'm just posting what he replied.

-boardumb: what does the unit look like on the inside?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts