Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my header from another forum member a little while back but it doesnt have a hole for the 2nd O2 sensor so I have a CEL and my inspection is about to go out.

Can an exhaust shop fix it or should I call vibrant because I believe it says on their site it comes w/ a relocate kit or something

Thanks

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
The secondary o2 is placed behind the cat, this will get rid of the CEL. If you have the bung, any exhaust shop can weld it on.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
the relocation kit is for it you run their header and exhaust. their exhaust has a high flow cat in the location of the second stock one, and it puts the o2 sensor after it.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
[quote author=Verto link=topic=139760.msg3012432#msg3012432 date=1237846055]
the relocation kit is for it you run their header and exhaust. their exhaust has a high flow cat in the location of the second stock one, and it puts the o2 sensor after it.
[/quote]

Actually, the vibrant header deletes the 1st stock cat. The relocation kit allows you to place the o2 after the second cat, regardless of what exhaust you run, as long as you're running with a cat.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
true but doesn't the vibrant exhaust already have the bung after the highflow?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
If you don't have their exhaust, you need the bung so the secondary o2 has a home. We (or I) don't know what exhaust the OP has.

I've only put these on MS3 CBE's and a Borla.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the vibrant cbe

there is no 2nd bung, there is the one on the header but there isn't another one.
better yet where can I get the vibrant relocate kit from? they wont respond to my emails

·
Registered
769 Posts
Can exhaust shop weld the bung in while the exhaust is still on the car, or do they need to remove the pipe first and then weld it on?

I'm in the same boat-although I have a Vibrant CBE when I got under the car there was no existing bung. Luckily I did get the relocation kit from the forum member I bought the header from.

Also about how much would it cost to get the header installed at a shop. (I tried and couldn't even get the heat shield off due to rust--I just know I won't be able to unbolt the header or the primary O2 sensor).

·
Registered
769 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=139760.msg3015428#msg3015428 date=1237950194]
The bung can be welded in while the exhaust is on the car.
[/quote]

Thanks for the quick answer!

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Sure. And be sure to check specify where you want it located if they don't ask. A local guy paid $94 for an awful hack job. It was so unbelievably wrong. I paid $43 and the guy walked me under the car to ensure he was happy with his recommendation.

·
Registered
769 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=139760.msg3015452#msg3015452 date=1237950645]
Sure. And be sure to check specify where you want it located if they don't ask. A local guy paid $94 for an awful hack job. It was so unbelievably wrong. I paid $43 and the guy walked me under the car to ensure he was happy with his recommendation.
[/quote]

Yea I'm going to get it put about 2" downstream from the first cat and making sure they weld above the 9 and 3 o'clock positions if possible.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Mine is right behind the cat in the 3oclock position. I'll be under the car on the 3rd and can take a pic to show how/where it's installed as well as how the wires are hidden.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I think I paid an exhaust shop about $50 to weld the bung after the second cat when i installed my vibrant header. They installed it about 2 inches downstream from the cat at about a 2 o'clock angle. Its been about 15k miles and no CEL.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Here is a pic of my o2 relocation. The top of the pic is the back of the car which is where you see the bung behind my bracing.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I went to about 10 car shops and 9 of them said no to welding my bung on. The one that said yes wanted 90 dollars. :( Any of you guys in the Baltimore MD area have a place they'd recommend? (that charges less than $50)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts