Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! To present myself a little bit, im from a northern region of Quebec in Canada and im an owner of a Mazda 3 2008 with only 91 000 km.

Im going to explain you the problem as detailed as possible.
This problem is intermittent... When I want to start my car in early morning (example), the engine won't crank at all when the key is on start. When the key is on ''on'', everything (radio and more) will show up. I will have the anti-theft light blinking rapidly on my dash.

To start my car, I let it sit on the ''on'' position for a couple of minutes. Sometimes 3 minutes, othertimes 10 minutes. And then, the parking light go on, I hear a sound in the engine, and the engine car can now be started up. Sometimes, after the engine started up, the anti-theft light is still blinking rapidly.

I can now drive my car, remove the key, leave the car for 3 hours and it will start up like nothing happened. The day after, in early morning, the car won't start up again... I most say this is winter in here. -20, -30, -40 celcius. The problem appeared 2 months ago. Theres is no scanner in my region to scan the code (if there's one). I tryed both keys I have, same problem is occuring. Disconnecting the battery while the key is on ''on'' position, heated the car in a garage. Nothing worked.

Any help is welcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone!
Nothing worked.

Any help is welcome.
1. Check car battery charge %, report. Disconnect car battery and recharge to 100%. If car battery is more, than 4 years old REPLACE it.
2. Replace all key remotes batteries.
3. Try again to see car start after overnight. Report changes.

4. If NOTHING changed after 1.-3. and car battery still loses charge, then recharge car battery again to 100% and then open car fuse box and look which car circuit LEAKS electricity or is SHORT. Read car manual for fuse box circuit descriptions. Completely shutdown car and check with voltmeter, WHICH circuit is still ALIVE and is LEAKING electricity.

5. After localizing faulty circuit, localize faulty component on that circuit. Report.

:csweeney:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply 008z.

My battery is not the issue, its 2 months old and everything is working (radio, subwoofer, light) when I turn the key on. I just can't start the engine.

For the fuses, I checked some of them. I will check for the others and take my hand on a voltmeter.
I also have an amp, a capacitor and a subwoofer at the back of my car. The capacitor is at least 10 years old but there's a fuse between the battery and the capacitor and amp. I'll remove the fuse and see if there's change.

I'm also going to defrost the car for a night or two this week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good morning!

So, to let you know, my car has been sleeping in a heaten garage for 2 nights in a row. I just tryed to start it and it started # 1 with no blinking anti-theft light.

Maybe it was just the cold... Those cars seems to be sensitive to it.

My theory is that humidity is getting glued to some electronic connections when the temperature is too cold. I had the worst time to start my car when the temp was below -20 because of the anti-theft protection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello!

I may have the same issue. i just change my battery for a new one and yesterday my keys won't be recognize. Today, the system DO recognize my keys but the alarm system goes on when i even touch the brake pedal and i cannot start the car. it is cold in here too, as i also live in Quebec, near Montreal. Any info on how you solved your problem might help me too! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, i have finally solve my problem.

When I bought the car from a used car dealer, the man told me that the remote would not start the car anymore but would unlock the doors. So, since it was not very useful, we store the damn remote away, and never used it.

The alarm system won't turn off (disarm itself) with the keys alone! You NEED THE REMOTE TO DO SO! Imagine...

So, I change the battery in the remote (2 x CR2016) and LOCK the car, then, UNLOCK the car and hold the UNLOCK BUTTON FOR 3 SEC. The system disarmed itself and the problem was solve!!! Now, read this carefully;

If you change your car battery, Your immobilisator security system may not recognize your keys right away!!! it took mine about 20 min before the keys would be recognized and the immobilizer system turn off. After that, i got the alarm system to turn off and that would only be disarm with the REMOTE, NOT THE KEYS. Even if the manual say that the keys unlocking the driver side door would do the trick! it may not.

Also, you should LET THE CAR ON IDLE FOR 20 MIN AT LEAST when you first get a new battery in there! Why? Because the computer will adjust the idle of the car according to your air intake, fuel type, in order for smooth operation of the transmission/engine operation!!! I didn't know that earlier and end up having a hard start and drop down at stop and red lights.

sorry for my bad english i am french and try to make myself best understand. Hope this help at all!!! Thanks to the community.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If you change your car battery, Your immobilisator security system may not recognize your keys right away!!! it took mine about 20 min before the keys would be recognized and the immobilizer system turn off. After that, i got the alarm system to turn off and that would only be disarm with the REMOTE, NOT THE KEYS. Even if the manual say that the keys unlocking the driver side door would do the trick! it may not.
This is NOT normal behavior, the battery being disconnected should make no difference for keys being recognized. I'm also pretty sure that the 3 did not come with remote start from the factory so the system you have is most likely an aftermarket system that is malfunctioning and should be removed.

·
Registered
1 Posts

When I bought the car from a used car dealer, the man told me that the remote would not start the car anymore but would unlock the doors. So, since it was not very useful, we store the damn remote away, and never used it.

The alarm system won't turn off (disarm itself) with the keys alone! You NEED THE REMOTE TO DO SO! Imagine...

So, I change the battery in the remote (2 x CR2016) and LOCK the car, then, UNLOCK the car and hold the UNLOCK BUTTON FOR 3 SEC. The system disarmed itself and the problem was solve!!! Now, read this carefully;

Also, you should LET THE CAR ON IDLE FOR 20 MIN AT LEAST when you first get a new battery in there! Why? Because the computer will adjust the idle of the car according to your air intake, fuel type, in order for smooth operation of the transmission/engine operation!!! I didn't know that earlier and end up having a hard start and drop down at stop and red lights.

sorry for my bad english i am french and try to make myself best understand. Hope this help at all!!! Thanks to the community.

Mazda 3 2018, no ignition after car battery replaced. I applied the technique mentioned, and eureka! The vehicle has no aftermarket security system. I appreciate the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts