Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been enjoying my SP23 for five days now. Since there's so few pics around of the velocity red I thought I'd share a couple of shots of mine. They were taken last week in a real hurry and my HTML skills are atrocious, so please excuse the presentation!

http://members.iinet.net.au/~samps/

Enjoy :lol:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Nice pics. Congrats on your new pride and joy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback! I'm waiting for a nice sunny day to get some better shots. In direct light the metallic puts a real bronze hue on the paintwork, it's amazing.

I must say that overall the car is great, however the power is way underdone for a 2.3L engine. More to the point I reckon the low-end torque is pretty flat. You really have to ring its neck to get results. Perhaps this is another thread altogether...?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Don't worry, the engine will still be sorting itself out for the first couple of thousand clicks, in the meantime you get some gain using premium fuel.

Go easy on "wringing its neck" for at least the first 1000 as hard as that may be :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
samps said:
I must say that overall the car is great, however the power is way underdone for a 2.3L engine. More to the point I reckon the low-end torque is pretty flat. You really have to ring its neck to get results. Perhaps this is another thread altogether...?
I noticed the same thing with the 2.0L. It doesn't really launch until about 3,000 - 3,500 RPM. The positive is that you don't smoke the tyres when you take off at lights but unless you flat shift into 2nd the revs drop quickly from red line back to 2,000 RPM and it almost feels like turbo lag.

My friend has the same problem with his 2003 WRX STi where it is a slug below 3500 RPM and then the turbo kicks in and pushes you back into the seat.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's ok to full throttle a modern engine during break-in, in fact idling around at low revs can actually glaze the cylinder bores since they don't bed-in properly.

I think its more important to keep it well away from the redline. Anyone have a different opinion?

Also, does anyone know if the 2.3L has a knock sensor? I don't see the benefit of running RON98 fuel if the engine is tuned to use regular without a knock sensor. ie, it wouldn't advance the timing on better fuel b/c of the inherent danger. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi Samps,thx for the enlarge pics for viewing.

To the engine's performance,wait till you get about 5k or more on your clock,and the thing is really loosing up,then you will see the motor spining effortlessly right through to redline,real fun :)

My advice for the running in is,during the first thou K,don't hesitate to everynow and then give the motor a bit of rev and this will help bedding in the cylinder and that.One advice is not to sit on one single speed for a long period of time.There was an one old saying about running in your car is " drive like an idiot" by that I mean you are varying your speed so much that the guy behind you think you are stupid or something :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now worries regarding the large pictures. My html is improving (slowly). Thumbnails on the main page would speed up load times too... working on it!

Did anyone else REALLY feel a difference in the engine's responsiveness and power after about 5000km?

·
Registered
519 Posts
great pics samps! :) can't wait to see all the colours coming in as people pick up their cars. as "dodgy" as you claim to be with html, i am worse with cars - hence the stupid question: what is a knock sensor?

i have had haphazard advice about "putting in some premium unleaded" from time to time instead of a straight unleaded diet. i have yet to have it explained clearly as to why this would be beneficial. :?

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Mazda Australia website states in an article on the news section (16/10/03) that "the range-topping SP23's engine, which is also tuned to run on regular unleaded, develops an impressive 115kW (ECE) at 6500rpm and 203Nm at 4500rpm. Power and torque outputs from the 2.0-litre and 2.3-litre engines can be boosted when using premium unleaded fuel."

I would take this to be official as its on their website and its had at least one Australian motoring journo repeat it. You wouldn't expect to have to replace engine parts based on the wording. Either Mazda is mistaken or the car does have this ability which would generally be via a knock sensor.

The Japanese variant of the 2.3 apparently cranks out 171 horsepower which is up around 127 kilowatts on premium grade fuel, but its got a different ECU to the American variant. The question is what is the Oz model got?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Japanese 'Std fuel' is 98RON and their 'Premium' is 102RON I believe hence the slightly higher power output. I think cars would be tuned differently for different markets.

I ain't no expert but from what I have read from other posts on other forums, putting premium fuel in a car that has not been tuned for it is a waste of money.

MZ6 has a compression ratio of 10.6 : 1
SP23 has a compression ratio of 9.7 : 1

I dare say that most of the extra few Kw the MZ6 engine gets over the SP23 are from the higher compression ratio it runs. It can run higher compression because it is tuned for 95 RON fuel (well thats what the sticker on the fuel filler door says)

More info here: http://www.mazda6club.com/forums/read.php?TID=9185

·
Registered
308 Posts
I know the Mz3 tuning is down, however wouldn't a knock sensor enable you to extract a couple of extra kilowatts as it senses the higher octane?

·
Registered
252 Posts
From Mazda Australia's web site (http://www.mazda.com.au/currentnews.asp?articleZoneID=2431#Article-1967):

Power and torque outputs from the 2.0-litre and 2.3-litre engines can be boosted when using premium unleaded fuel.
I doubt Mazda would make publicly frivolous claims if it weren't possible (it would probably land them in a bit of legal hot water if they did). I've hear journo's quote the power difference is only a few kilowatts.

A mechanic friend of mine seems to think that running the car on premium, at the very worst, can only help the engine burn cleaner and give you better milage. I'll be running my SP23 on premium full time (when the damn thing arrives.

BTW, been driving the missus Maxx Sport for the last few days. Truly is a great car. We've done 400km on the dealer-supplied full tank and we've the fuel guage reads just under half a tank. By simple calculation we should get roughly 600km out of the tank, so I think we're well on target. Oh, and there have been many hill climbs and use of the full rev range too :twisted:.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'll probably continue to run on Caltex Vortex, I've been using it quite happily in the SP20 and see no reason to change.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Fiorland is'nt your current car supposed to use premium anyway? :)

Obviously, you can see from my post on the MZ6 forum I thought exactly the same things as Sonic and yourself, but I have read several other articles indicating what Warren and Wankski have also suggested. So confusion reigns in my mind, but what they wrote makes sense to me.

If you also check out a few of the fuel companies websites....none of them actually say that their premium fuels create more power rather its more about 'maximizing the potential power output of your engine'

There is no doubt in my mind it burns cleaner and it cleans your fuel system and everything else that they advertise to do....and yer you may get a few more Kms per tank. Do a few tanks on either and work out the average mileage. I think the difference will be minimal at best.

So I guess the million dollar question is does the car have a knock sensor that tells the ECU to advance the timing when safe to do so? Going by the website quote you would have to say Yes it does.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This is one thing still puzzles me with the Mz3 premium fuel issue.

As I remembered Warren states that the most important aspect of running premium fuel with optimum result,one needs a higher compression ratio to begin with.But due to the spec of the Mz3's engine still un-clear at this stage,whether one is just changing the cam timing will be sufficient.Or one needs to change the internal engine part to bring up the static pressure and in return to have a higher compression ratio to get the benefit.

Just wish Warren is around :) Wonder where he is.

·
Registered
176 Posts
At a guess M6Gr8 it is a combination of many of the above factors that give the MZ6 that little bit more than the MZ3.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts