Mazda3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Actually, I was reading back over the thread and wondering if you still have the adjustable wiper stalk that you bought. It would be really neat to have the factory adjustable stalk and have the mod completely hidden! :p

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Stalk: I have the VIW stalk with no auto-wipers.

Test Procedure: Exactly - I'm wondering if it's just a potentiometer in there. The stalk is currently installed in my car, so it might be a few days before I can take everything apart and start testing - maybe this weekend?

·
Registered
37 Posts
That would be great! If you can test it, please let me know. The mod circuit that billm used and the similar one I am using works by setting resistor and capacitor values. So its possible if the resistance values are just right, you could just use the factory adjustable stalk...or maybe use the factory adjustable stalk and some combination of resistors on the mod circuit board. I am very curious what you find for the resistance! :p

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you can get this to work, and possibly have a spare module built up (or think of producing them afterwards), I would be VERY interested. This is one of the few things that I would like to adjust about my 3's factory capabilities. I, like ICSPOTS, am very excited to see what you can do with this mod.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not sure this helps....

Our 2009 Mazda has the auto/variable intermittent wipers & these do not work like standard VIW.

Turning the variable dial does not change the duration of the intermittent wipers like standard VIW. It changes the sensitivity of the rain sensor on the windshield.
IMO, the variable function does not work that well. Turning the variable knob fully to one direction or fully to the other direction does not have much effect.

For the year of your car, did Mazda offer a standard VIW system that did not incorporate the auto system?
If yes, that is the system to get, preferably from a wrecked Mazda, to convert your car...

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey guys, so I have an update...I am still thinking about how to integrate the mod with the factory VIW stalk that blackbeardrrr has. I did prototype the circuit and test it out in my MZ3. I did get it to work, but I found I needed to make a few changes. I am waiting on the necessary components to arrive from Mouser so I can build up the module on a circuit board and install it to fully test it. I will be trying to match the wire colors from billm's module to make the install as similar as possible. I won't have LEDs on mine though. The potentiometer will also not be detented (meaning it won't have clicks, it will be freely variable). I had to compromise because I needed a potentiometer with an 'off' switch setting. Based on what I found out when testing it, I am not sure if I can integrate it with the factory VIW stalk...I am still thinking about how to do that.

@ icspots, I have been quite jealous of you guys who had this mod...I sorely miss the VIW from my MZ6!! :)

@bakracer21, I will be posting here once I have the module finalized and would actually like to be able to build up a few more to recoup some of the costs of the components and time to make it. I am guessing the total cost is going to come in somewhere around $30-40 when it is all said and done...but not too bad when you consider the awesomeness of having VIW!! :)

@CalgaryMazda3, from the research I've done it looks like you could buy a VIW stalk and a PJB from an 06 or newer MZ3 with factory VIW and then have it programmed at a dealer, but the cost would end up being in the neighborhood of $200-300, which is way more than the $30-40 to make it myself...the price is the small hole and non-factory look of adding the mod. I opted to try the mod route rather the the mucho money route. :)

Thanks guys for the comments, I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
[quote author=blackbeardrrr link=topic=200585.msg4186493#msg4186493 date=1329179839]
Stalk: I have the VIW stalk with no auto-wipers.

Test Procedure: Exactly - I'm wondering if it's just a potentiometer in there. The stalk is currently installed in my car, so it might be a few days before I can take everything apart and start testing - maybe this weekend?
[/quote]
BTW, one things that makes this so difficult is the factory stalk is basically a 1k potentiometer and I am using a 250k potentiometer in my design...

·
Registered
335 Posts
While it looks like Auzoom is going the mod route to get variable intermittent wipers in his car, I dug thru my owners manual for more info in case anyone else wants more info on the factory route to get VIW.

My owners manual for my 2009 Mazda 3 hatch shows 3 different wiper options: (quoted words are right from the owners manual)

1. "Type A (With INT position)". This is single speed intermittent wipers. No variable ring on the wiper stalk to adjust the interval of the wipers.

2. "Variable-speed intermittent wipers". Optional. The intermittent speed can be set by turning the variable ring on the wiper stalk.

3. "Type B (With AUTO position)". Optional. The wiper stalk is labelled "AUTO" not "INT". The variable ring adjusts the sensitivity of the rain sensor on the windshield which adjusts the interval indirectly.

So for anyone wanting to upgrade their non-VIW wipers to VIW wipers it looks like option 2 is the way to go.
Get the wiper stalk that is labelled "INT" with a variable ring on it. NOT the wiper stalk labelled "AUTO".
The original poster (Blackbeard) doesn't say which wiper stalk he installed.
Keep in mind that I have no idea if this info applies to prior years of my 2009 Mazda3.

It's make me wonder why My_Mazda3 installed the auto VIW system including a new windshield with the rain sensor?
My info contradicts his info. Perhaps that was the only option in 2005 for his car?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi CalgaryMazda3, I should have clarified. I am doing a mod for the 04/05 and maybe some 06 models. Some 06 models and I believe all 07-09 are compatible with VIW. The 04/05 and some 06 models did not have any capability for VIW, that's why I am choosing the mod route. You'd need the VIW stalk, PJB, and reprogramming, which is lots of cash. The 09 you have should just need a new stalk and I think it would work. At most you may have to get a dealer to reprogram the PJB after you install the stalk...which still may cost a pretty good amount of cash. If you search this forum and google (some other Mazda forums) this info has been discussed quite a bit.

·
Registered
335 Posts
[quote author=auzoom79 link=topic=200585.msg4193592#msg4193592 date=1330565012]
Hi CalgaryMazda3, I should have clarified. I am doing a mod for the 04/05 and maybe some 06 models. Some 06 models and I believe all 07-09 are compatible with VIW. The 04/05 and some 06 models did not have any capability for VIW, that's why I am choosing the mod route. You'd need the VIW stalk, PJB, and reprogramming, which is lots of cash. The 09 you have should just need a new stalk and I think it would work. At most you may have to get a dealer to reprogram the PJB after you install the stalk...which still may cost a pretty good amount of cash. If you search this forum and google (some other Mazda forums) this info has been discussed quite a bit.
[/quote]

Auzoom, slow down you're typing too fast making some errors:

1. My 2009 Mazda3 already has the auto/intermittent wiper option.
2. There are 2 types of VIW wiper stalks. One has to PRECISELY specify which stalk when discussing these.
3. My_Mazda3 specifically stated what he needed to install the auto/VIW wiper option in his 2005.
Since he has done this swap succesffully, his technical swap info is the most accurate swap info in this thread.

Have you actually & swapped a factory VIW into a Mazda3 that originally did not have it?
I have not, I'm just passing on info to the OP & anyone else who wants to swap in the factory setup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
[quote author=CalgaryMazda3 link=topic=200585.msg4193608#msg4193608 date=1330567326]
[quote author=auzoom79 link=topic=200585.msg4193592#msg4193592 date=1330565012]
[/quote]

Auzoom, slow down you're typing too fast making some errors:

1. My 2009 Mazda3 already has the auto/intermittent wiper option.
2. There are 2 types of VIW wiper stalks. One has to PRECISELY specify which stalk when discussing these.
3. My_Mazda3 specifically stated what he needed to install the auto/VIW wiper option in his 2005.
Since he has done this swap succesffully, his technical swap info is the most accurate swap info in this thread.

Have you actually & swapped a factory VIW into a Mazda3 that originally did not have it?
I have not, I'm just passing on info to the OP & anyone else who wants to swap in the factory setup.
[/quote]

Calgary, if I am wrong somewhere, please point that out. The OP has a VIW stalk, not an Auto wiper stalk, that was clearly stated. Mymazda3 did a swap to get Auto wipers, as icspots and the OP has pointed out that is NOT the same as adding the VIW stalk. VIW != Auto Wipers I do not doubt that mymazda3 has done the swap and done it successfully, but that is for auto wipers and NOT for VIW wipers. I had the OP measure the resistance as he varied the VIW adjustment which relates to my reply to him about the potentiometers. I have read on this forum and other forums (of which icspots has been a part of some of the posts) and found that to get VIW (again not auto wipers) on the 04/05 MZ3s you have to replace the stalk and the PJB and have the PJB programmed to the ECU in the car (just relaying what others have said, note that this disagrees with mymazda3). I don't have the time to find and post all these links so I apologize, but that is what I've found from what others have done. Also, as mymazda3 found, it is VERY expensive to go this type of route as he replaced the PJB along with the other items at a cost of several hundred dollars. I am not willing to spend that kind of cash for wipers that vary and definitely not for auto wipers as I want to have VIW. I am not meaning to come across as rude, just don't like being told I have errors and not explaining that. If I am wrong somewhere, please let me know. As for my accuracy as I've said, I have tested my design in my 04 MZ3 to make sure it works. I connected it on a breadboard first before soldering everything down, so I have 'installed' this and tested it in my MZ3 and it DOES work....so I am not sure how my info on that would not be 'accurate'. I believe icspots has a lot of history with this mod as well, so please point out if I am in error with what you've seen icspots.

Thanks for the great discussion on this...if Mazda had just put VIW in the car from the beginning, we wouldn't even be having this conversation....wouldn't that have been nice...why couldn't they have just put it in to start with!! :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
[quote author=icspots link=topic=200585.msg4193620#msg4193620 date=1330569840]
I'm glad that most of the attitude disappeared from the thread and people finally acknowledged that there's a difference between variable intermittent and auto wipers. Drives me crazy.
[/quote]

Lol icspots :goodjob:

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
[quote author=blackbeardrrr link=topic=200585.msg4194042#msg4194042 date=1330659755]
[quote author=icspots link=topic=200585.msg4193620#msg4193620 date=1330569840]
I'm glad that most of the attitude disappeared from the thread and people finally acknowledged that there's a difference between variable intermittent and auto wipers. Drives me crazy.
[/quote]

Lol icspots :goodjob:
[/quote]

lol. Guess I spoke too soon.

So for ad nauseum repetition (from the department of redundancy department) in the US 04/05 model the only wiper variations were regular and Auto. The regular wipers had OFF, INT (a fixed ~5 second interval wipe), LOW, HIGH settings. The Auto wipers were only available on the '05 sp23 and provide a dial which when the stalk is in the AUTO position theoretically varies the sensitivity of when the wipers wipe.

In 2006 VIW (variable intermittent wipers: i.e. you can alter the time delay between each wipe manually while the stalk is in the INT position) was added to the US Mz3 model on at least some of the trim levels (GT models got auto wipers). For '07+ all non-GT models should have VIW.

My_Mazda3 successfully retrofitted his non-VIW car with the auto wiper function requiring the replacement of a large number of components. This does work, however is cost-intensive..... sort of like the guy who retrofitted OEM NAV into his car at a cost of ~$3,000 and the replacement of 1/2 his vehicle's wiring harness. While awesome that he managed this retrofit his initial response (and subsequent responses based on his response) ignore the fact that this thread IS NOT talking about automatic wipers.

Many years ago member billm built some modules which tap into the wiring plug of the wiper stalk and allow you to have VIW adjusted by a potentiometer. Auzoom79 is trying to make a similar mod, and has built a circuit which will replicate billm's mod. That said he's trying to take it one step further and see if he can end up using an OEM wiper stalk vs. installing a potentiometer.

[hr]

Now with all that said can we continue the discussion in a friendly manner without everyone saying everyone else is ignoring facts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks icspots! :yay:

I agree, all I have been trying to do is first reproduce/improve the module from billm and figure out how to make that circuit interface with a factory VIW stalk...hopefully, I'll figure it out. Thanks to you again for providing the pictures that allowed me to get started on reproducing billm's module!

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
[quote author=auzoom79 link=topic=200585.msg4194311#msg4194311 date=1330724222]
Thanks icspots! :yay:

I agree, all I have been trying to do is first reproduce/improve the module from billm and figure out how to make that circuit interface with a factory VIW stalk...hopefully, I'll figure it out. Thanks to you again for providing the pictures that allowed me to get started on reproducing billm's module!
[/quote]

Always happy to help. It's such an awesome mod though I really wish I'd been able to go OEM. As I mentioned before the spacing on the timing isn't as regular as I'd like. Also it lacks details OEM VIW has such as automatically wiping when you speed up the wipers (but not when you slow them down).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Very close to getting the mod circuit to work with a factory VIW stalk. Thanks to blackbeardrrr for the assistance! I will be prototyping the circuit soon. I'm just waiting on my factory VIW stalk to arrive so I can begin testing. Thanks again for icspots for the pics that helped get all this started.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Still wishing you the best of luck with this. Currently increasing the items of want in this car. Have recently decided against purchasing an impreza. I think I could squeeze a few more miles out of this thing. So it's time to get the kinks ironed out of this little guy...

·
Registered
37 Posts
[quote author=bakracer21 link=topic=200585.msg4219110#msg4219110 date=1334714378]
Still wishing you the best of luck with this. Currently increasing the items of want in this car. Have recently decided against purchasing an impreza. I think I could squeeze a few more miles out of this thing. So it's time to get the kinks ironed out of this little guy...
[/quote]
Thanks bakracer! I am ready to get this working. I am very excited to make it work with a factory VIW stalk!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts