Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the valve covers made out of on the 2.3's? Aluminum?

Also, what years are the same? 2004-2006?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The valve covers are plastic.

By "same" do you mean mechanically? Because they're all the same mechanically. However, 2007 models got a facelift.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

this part is plastic?

when I say the same, i just mean what years will fit other years. 2004-2006 and 2007 is different?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
[quote author=wendall link=topic=67412.msg1159669#msg1159669 date=1169315117]

this part is plastic?

when I say the same, i just mean what years will fit other years. 2004-2006 and 2007 is different?

Thanks for your help
[/quote]

Yes, PVC plastic. That part should fit all years.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, she's plastic. I just checked my 2.0. Darn it.

I just bought a 2.3 valve cover on ebay with the plan of powder coating it.

Don't know if I will be able to now. I will give it a go and see if the plastic can handle the oven temps without warping or anything. Maybe it will since it is an actual engine part.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
why not paint it, with some heat resistant paint

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't even fit my car. I have a 2.0 but I saw this on ebay. Cost me 22 bucks with shipping included.

I just saw it and started to bid. I should have looked around or checked the one on my car before bidding. I figured I would powder coat it and sell it, but that may be out the window now. Maybe I will practice my painting skills but I would like to fool around with powder coating something plastic. Would be my first shot at that.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
don't you need to be metal in order to powerder coat? like it needs to connect to static electricity ortherwise the power will not stick?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
you definitely cant powdercoat plastic, dont waste your money
like hate said, has to be metal because of static electricity to stick, and then they have to bake it at high temp

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
I am pretty sure it is made of ABS plastic, not PVC. Either one of which will not withstand the heat you would need to powder coat (PVC starts melting/sublimating around 260-300F, ABS only a bit higher like 300-340F).
-Matt

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not true in all cases. you can powder coat non conductive materials you just have to heat the piece first. the norm would be the piece has to be conductive but when you heat it enough the powder will stick becuase it starts to cure when it contacts the piece. i know its unlikely the piece will hold up in the curing temps but i am going to try. i work with and sell for a shop that does powder coating so it won't cost me any more money to try it out.

there are places that are powder coating wood these days, there is always a way to get things done.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote author=azazel1024 link=topic=67412.msg1159734#msg1159734 date=1169318150]
I am pretty sure it is made of ABS plastic, not PVC. Either one of which will not withstand the heat you would need to powder coat (PVC starts melting/sublimating around 260-300F, ABS only a bit higher like 300-340F).
-Matt
[/quote]

thanks matt. we usually cure at around 350 so its unlikely it will hold up. i want to try curing at a lower temp for a longer cycle and see what happens. its just for testing purposes basically. if i can pull it off, watch out baby.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
You might be able to get away with it, you are just going to have to be really careful as the plastic is going to get awfully soft, so if you have any high pressures on it, it is likely to deform it in that area (such as hanging its weight off a single corner or something).
-Matt

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good point matt.

I will fab up a brace that spreads the weight out on the underside of the cover and have the hanging wires come through the plug holes.

Since this isn't going to end up on my car because it doesn't fit, what color do you guys think I should try?

I have been looking around online and have some emails sent out to my suppliers but I can't find a list of low temp curing powder colors.

I might just try the powder we have in the shop and go with a red or blue textured.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts