Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a valve cover from a 08 turbo CX-7 and I wonder if it will fit on my 07 2.3 NA 3. I like the look of the metal one over the plastic one.
Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You could pull yours off and see if they match up. Honestly, though, putting a fancy valve cover on the 2.3 is about like slapping lipstick on a pig. The 2.3 is such a failure prone engine I'd wouldn't waste much effort trying to make it look prettier. Wait until you are inevitably replacing it with something better, like the 2.5 L.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Agree, why waste time on a valve cover, spend time maintaining engine/car. The 2.3 will go the distance if maintained.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The 2.3 engines are well known to self destruct, even with regular oil change maintenance. It is a weak design. No wonder Mazda dropped this garbage engine in favor of the newer 2.5 L design, which is much more reliable. The good news is that the 2.5 L can be easily retrofitted into any of the 2.3 L Mazdas for a very low cost, since these engines were ubiquitous on the Ford Fusion. They are almost literally a dime a dozen in salvage yards because the Fusion is such a disposable car there are lots of "totaled" Fusions out there with 30,000-40,000 miles on them. Nice engine donors available for $200-400.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you say so, the 2.5 is a bore and stroke of the 2.3, which stroked the 2.0 liter. None seem to be a major redesign. Maybe they improved rings or something or got a bad batch of rings for say 50000 engines that were "accepted" by engineering as OK. I see a bit about oil burning out there, but the 2 I have experience with are fine. Did yours blow up.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes at about 200,000 it screwed the pooch. Cylinder 1 completely filled with oil. There are so many reports of this engine prematurely dying. It doesn't happen with the 2.5 because they made changes to it to improve lubrication and durability.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I was able to find an Aftermarket Aluminum VC off of AliExpress.....And it turns out to be pretty Legit!....Its for a 2.3 Engine N/A.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 2.3 engines are well known to self destruct, even with regular oil change maintenance. It is a weak design. No wonder Mazda dropped this garbage engine in favor of the newer 2.5 L design, which is much more reliable. The good news is that the 2.5 L can be easily retrofitted into any of the 2.3 L Mazdas for a very low cost, since these engines were ubiquitous on the Ford Fusion. They are almost literally a dime a dozen in salvage yards because the Fusion is such a disposable car there are lots of "totaled" Fusions out there with 30,000-40,000 miles on them. Nice engine donors available for $200-400.
That’s a fact about how easy the engines to replace. I’ve not done more than a suspension on a Honda CR-V before and I swapped out a piston slapping 180k 2.3 for a Mazda 2.5 with 75k miles on it in my garage by myself. It was super stressful but worked like a charm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts