Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I currently own a 2005 Mazda3 with about 62k miles on it. About 2 weeks ago the CEL came on in the dashboard, then the car would jerk violently in between shifts. So I took it to Auto Zone to get the CEL read by the scanner and the code it was throwing was for a fault MAF sensor, vacuum leak, and something else although I cant remember. So I disconnected the negative battery terminal to reset the ECU to clear the CEL. For all of 5 minutes the CEL was off, the car ran fine, but then it came back on and it started to jerk again. So I was convinced that it was the MAF sensor that was bad. And I was right, sort of. I replaced the MAF that night and the car isn't jerking anymore, but the check engine light hasn't gone off and the engine RPMs drop and then spike up, then drop again and spike up again, etc. So I had the light read again and it came back with the same code, which is escaping me right now. So I did a little research and I found that it could have been a bad purge valve solenoid. So I checked for vacuum on the solenoid and unfortunately it isnt the problem. I'm thinking that it might be a vacuum leak, but I just cant seem to find the damn thing. I'm not even sure it's a vacuum leak. Its really frustrating and I was looking for some opinions and advice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
WOW. You are in THE EXACT same situation I am in. My car was jerking and I got the code p2187 lean at idle and replaced the MAF. The jerking is gone for the most part, but the light is still on. I still get a jerk when I'm driving about 25 and I let off the gas. I think I'm going to try to change the maybe the purge solenoid valve and I'll see if that works. What code did you have?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have considered the pcv but I'm not quite sure how to get to it. From my understanding it's under the intake manifold.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm having the same....well, similar problem. My 05-i (48K miles) revs up in pulses while at idle. It's like a heart beat from about 700RPM to about 1100RPM when I'm sitting at stoplights.

No noticeable loss in performance.....seems like it's maybe a little sluggish when accelerating, and no CEL.

Did you guys ever figure out what the dilly dilly is??

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I didn't have any CEL's, but I recently had my car act crazy at idle (would go from 500 to 1300 rpm) back and forth, like a dieing lawn mower starving for gas. I decided to start at the cheapest possibility, which was to clean the throttle body. There is a TSB on this forum that has instructions. When you take off the air hose and look at the throttle body, the side you are looking at (away from the engine) will likely be spotless. Don't be fooled. When I took the throttle body off the other side (facing the engine) had literally about a 1/2 inch of crud all over the butterfly valve, making the car run terribly and idle weird. I fully cleaned the throttle body and reset the battery. Drives like day 1.

This may not be THE problem for all of you, but if you have a 2004-2005 with 60-90k on the clock, I bet you it will help immensely.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks, Mummyman. I'll try cleaning the TB in the next few days and will let you guys know if that solves or helps my problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

I currently own a 2005 Mazda3 with about 62k miles on it. About 2 weeks ago the CEL came on in the dashboard, then the car would jerk violently in between shifts. So I took it to Auto Zone to get the CEL read by the scanner and the code it was throwing was for a fault MAF sensor, vacuum leak, and something else although I cant remember. So I disconnected the negative battery terminal to reset the ECU to clear the CEL. For all of 5 minutes the CEL was off, the car ran fine, but then it came back on and it started to jerk again. So I was convinced that it was the MAF sensor that was bad. And I was right, sort of. I replaced the MAF that night and the car isn't jerking anymore, but the check engine light hasn't gone off and the engine RPMs drop and then spike up, then drop again and spike up again, etc. So I had the light read again and it came back with the same code, which is escaping me right now. So I did a little research and I found that it could have been a bad purge valve solenoid. So I checked for vacuum on the solenoid and unfortunately it isnt the problem. I'm thinking that it might be a vacuum leak, but I just cant seem to find the damn thing. I'm not even sure it's a vacuum leak. Its really frustrating and I was looking for some opinions and advice.
im right here with you. I’ve replaced the MAF, TB gasket and cleaned it, I changed the Purge solenoids, and purge control valve as well as the PCV behind the intake manifold and change the little hose for it also. Replaced all intake manifold gaskets and also the EGR, fuel pump and fuel pump ring. I’ve had this stupid vacuum leak a month now. When I floor the gas it just falls on it’s face or won’t accelerate at all. 40% throttle feels decent but when it’s floor’d it just wants to die. having someone do a vacuum leak test tomorrow I’ll try to update this thread for anyone who could need it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts