Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just an idea. But I was wondering if it would be at all possible to "shoehorn" a V6 into the Mazda 3 engine bay.

This idea came in light of the V8 in a Lexus IS300 thread. I know there is no way a V8 would fit in our beloved 3, but what about a V6?

I've noticed that there is some space between the I-4 engine and the firewall. I know the Mazda 3 platform is shared with the Volvo S40 and Volvo has got that thing running on a turbo'ed I-5. So how about Mazda making a 3 with a V6 :twisted:

Sucky mileage aside, a V6 powered Mazda 3 would solely be for fun. Make it AWD and tune it's suspension and then we may have something here that could compare to a VW Golf R32 (VW's uber hatchback).

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
hmmm.. Dog sled team... hmm.....

·
Registered
481 Posts
id say a V6 in the 3 is possible (id rather have a turbo 4 tho)... hell i've seen a Northstar Caddy V8 in a mk2 Golf! :shock:

·
Registered
111 Posts
MazdaSpeed3 said:
For enough money you could fit a dog sled team in the engine bay.
Just make sure to use the premium kibbles and bits. The low grade stuff leads to very unpleasant exhaust fumes. :wink:

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Putting a v6 into the 3 would certainly solve my only problem with the car. I was determined to buy a v6. Getting on and off the freeway in an auto 4cyl is a bitch.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the 3.0 can fit into the 3 but a high boosted 4 banger would do the same job but without the weight. Looks like the Focus/Mazda3/RX-8 will be the new swap engine cars. Bye bye honda.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I only intended it as a whimsical thought :)

I agree that a forced induction tuned I-4 engine would be better suited for the Mazda 3's engine bay. It'd be lighter and provide similar performance numbers.

But the V6 still sounds attractive. It will definitely make a deeper, throatier growl than any I-4. (Unless you think putting a coffee-can exhaust is your idea of making your car sound better). And just think, you could try super/turbocharging that V6 too! 350+hp Mazda 3 anyone? :twisted:

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
raitchison said:
Of course if you got the 5 speed that wouldn't have been an issue now would it have? ;)
Very true. But I hate the look of the knobs without Automatic Climate Control. Call me shallow, but I wanted that to look nice. Not to mention the v6 came with ABS and traction control standard, and no nasty hubcaps. And dare I say it, I couldn't drive a manual in stop and go traffic for the next 5 yrs or more.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Now I'm thinking of doing this lil project. Getting a base model 3 would be easy and getting another V6. The problem would be getting engine mounts and other custom parts need for a good professional swap.

·
Registered
427 Posts
This same topic was recently discussed in another thread. From what I can gather on the 6, the 3.0L V-6 engine appears to weigh about 125-150 pounds more than the 2.3L. So even if you could make it fit, it would change the handling characteristics of the car. Many people in the 6 forums have stated that even in the 6 body, that the 2.3L 6i has more nimble handling than the 3.0L 6s.

It's my impression that most of the people who put large engines into smaller cars are people who want straightline speed.

I agree with the earlier comment that a turbo is the way to go.

And you may well run into problems with the 3's auto tranny. Note that Mazda used a different auto transmission with the V6 in the 6s.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Hmmm if I did this swap. It would be a manual trans. Smaller and weighs less than the heavy auto tranny. But I would do a RWD conversion if the cash was flowing. Would be a great drifting car.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bigmantenor said:
Drifting... Now THERE'S a real sport! :wink:
I remember reading this on streetracersonline.com

"Drifting has a built in rice filter: Skill"

:lol: Oh so true :lol:

·
Registered
217 Posts
we'd be happy with the Mazda 6 with a V6 let alone a Mazda 3. since all our Mazda's come from Japan we don't get that option as the V6 is made in america. our SP23 has the standard mazda 6 engine in it so it should definitely fit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
juicedog said:
we'd be happy with the Mazda 6 with a V6 let alone a Mazda 3. since all our Mazda's come from Japan we don't get that option as the V6 is made in america. our SP23 has the standard mazda 6 engine in it so it should definitely fit.
Just as long as it doesn't alter the weight distribution too much, to the point that it becomes a terminal understeerer...I think that the 2.3 litre Mazda 6 has a weight distribution of around 55% front, 45% rear, versus the V6 version which has 64% front, 36% rear, hence making the car fundamentally nose heavy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts