Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to going price for 2012 Mazda 3 I touring w/ Skyactiv 6 speed automatic went to dealer listing price online for $14,999 however the next day the same vehicle was listed for $15,600. It has 28xxx miles and carfax says car used to be Rental/Fleet car at AVIS in Chicago, IL purchase date of 02/01/2012 everything is clean on the report.

Listed on local Mazda Dealer website.

how much do these vehicles go for?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would strongly advise staying away from purchasing a car that was once a rental car. Big no-no.

·
Registered
313 Posts
A clean report is good, but doesn't tell you much about how the car was treated... rental cars are abused. People do stupid stuff to them... just search "rental car abuse" on youtube and you'll see what I mean.

I've never bought a car that was a rental because I personally wouldn't trust it. I know people who have, and have gotten lucky and got decently good cars. But I've also read horror stories of people who purchased rental cars with 20K miles that had so much trouble that the car was considered totaled less than a year after being purchased.

Just make sure you take it to REALLY good and trustworthy mechanic to check it out. Have them really look over all mechanical parts to look for premature wear and any issues that will soon surface. It's definitely a risk, but some get lucky and end up getting good cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay now I am scared but I mean so far everything about the car is smoothed doesn't look like the previous owner let them red line it or anything shows average speed 26.8 MPH and mpg at 29MPG it was in Chicago so not sure but how do I know it is a trust worth mechanic? what do they have to is it just a visual inspection?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Okay now I am scared but I mean so far everything about the car is smoothed doesn't look like the previous owner let them red line it or anything shows average speed 26.8 MPH and mpg at 29MPG it was in Chicago so not sure but how do I know it is a trust worth mechanic? what do they have to is it just a visual inspection?
I don't mean to scare you, but just make sure you get it checked out.

Ask you friends/family what mechanics they use and if they're good people. Just tell them the situation, let them know you just bought a used car that was once a rental car. They'll know what to look for... a visual inspection is good, maybe a road test to a trained mechanic to see if they feel any strange vibrations and make sure it's shifting correctly.

Reason I say TRUSTWORTHY mechanic is because if you ask them to look at it and they're not nice people, they'll come back and tell you that you need thousands of dollars worth of repairs.

If they do find anything wrong that is worth fixing; ask them to explain it to you and show you why it's bad. Then before any work is done, call the place you bought it from and see if it's covered under warranty. Usually they'll add an extended warranty to the factory one. But seeing as though it's fairly new, stuff will still be covered by factory warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I paid $16,800 for my 2012 Mazda 3 I touring w/ Skyactiv 6 speed automatic new this past January. With the new model coming out this fall I'd imagine that there will be some good deals on the current models.

No way I'd buy a rental car. Burnouts, slamming gears, smashing into curbs, jumping are just some of the things people do when it's not their car.

·
Registered
313 Posts
No way I'd buy a rental car. Burnouts, slamming gears, smashing into curbs, jumping are just some of the things people do when it's not their car.
Aint that the truth ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts