Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I agree that not having traction control at least available is a mistake. I used to have it in my other cars and had no need for AWD. Now it's the first winter with the 3 and I seem to be spinning a lot more. Already got stuck in snow once....with winter tires. That's the only thing missing that is REALLY pissing me off. Especially this winter with all the cold ice/snow conditions we are getting. :x

·
Registered
947 Posts
More interesting is that the article points out that it is difficult to launch the car smoothly because of a "dead spot". They were correct in noticing the symptom, but failed to identify the cause as the delay in the drive-by-wire throttle.

Mazda needs to do something to fix this.

An error is in the article, where it mentioned "The 2.3-liter engine that comes as part of the 3i package..."

Lastly... I fit the profile completely: "The profile sounds like a spoiled brat: People of any age with a twentysomething mind-set who've grown up with everything, including a sense of entitlement, and who won't wait or compromise."

That's me!!! No wonder I saw, drove, found, and bought the car in such a short time period.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Meh, no need for traction control just learn how to use the car to get out of places properly. If you ever drove a Mustang with Summer tires on Snow and Ice like you get in the Okanagan you'd know what I'm talking about. Just put the car into 2nd gear and it will pull out of almost anything even with the RS-As and their generally weak Winter performance.

If traction control was offered then great but it's not something I would consider as a deal breaker for me to be sure.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree 100% that ABS and the extra airbags should be standard, and at the current pricing without them. Depending on the dollar/yen look for that to be the case in the future.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
cowtown said:
Meh, no need for traction control just learn how to use the car to get out of places properly. If you ever drove a Mustang with Summer tires on Snow and Ice like you get in the Okanagan you'd know what I'm talking about. Just put the car into 2nd gear and it will pull out of almost anything even with the RS-As and their generally weak Winter performance.

If traction control was offered then great but it's not something I would consider as a deal breaker for me to be sure.
I did buy the car so no it was not a deal breaker.....

First, don't "Meh" me. Second If your standard of acceptable traction is a Mustang equipped with summer tires on snow and ice, we obviously have a different view of what good traction is.

And finally, 1st or 2nd gear, I can guarantee you that you wouldn't climb the little icy hill that I have to get out of my country house at -25C. AWD and with my cars equipped with traction control it never was a problem. Now it is. So yes it does make a difference. 2 wheels that pull at the same time are better than one...doesn't take a rocket scientist course to know that :roll:

·
Registered
882 Posts
First off, Meh... ;)

And finally, 1st or 2nd gear, I can guarantee you that you wouldn't climb the little icy hill that I have to get out of my country house at -25C.
Shows what you know, I did do that, all the time. I drove Mustangs for 7 years in that weather. And while that kind of setup was not ideal I was able to do better on hills than some 4x4's and FWD vehicles for 2 main reasons. 1. I know how to drive. 2. I know how to drive. AWD is great but if you are prepared and know how to handle the weather you can get along fine with RWD. I don't know if you've been out to the Okanagan but it's all hills, it's in a VALLEY so if you go anywhere you are climbing some very steep, very snowy and icy hills. I wouldn't make assumptions as to my driving ability nor what I've had to drive through.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The description, "The profile sounds like a spoiled brat: People of any age with a twentysomething mind-set who've grown up with everything, including a sense of entitlement, and who won't wait or compromise." matches me too. I drove it, and one week later, I drove it off the lot. I guess that makes me spoiled, but it's not like I don't acknowledge the spoiling, so am I still a brat? And the AWD and TCS will almost certainly make an appearance later on, along with the 5 speed auto from the Volvo S40. Although, the next Focus may get some or all of these as options before the Mazda 3 does.

·
Registered
526 Posts
M3-GT said:
And finally, 1st or 2nd gear, I can guarantee you that you wouldn't climb the little icy hill that I have to get out of my country house at -25C. AWD and with my cars equipped with traction control it never was a problem. Now it is. So yes it does make a difference. 2 wheels that pull at the same time are better than one...doesn't take a rocket scientist course to know that :roll:
I think if I had an icy hill to climb when leaving my country house at -25C I would have stuck w/ AWD!

·
Registered
882 Posts
No doubt AWD is great, no arguement there, but it's not the be all end all is what I'm saying. Anyways if Mazda came out with an AWD version of the 3, in particular the 3 Hatch I'd consider trading up again, probably not until 2 model years though. They'd have to bump the HP though or I would pass, don't want to add another 300+ pounds and then subsequently loose performance even if I did get another 2 wheels spinning. ;)

And TCS as I said I can take a pass at, no practical use for how I drive but if they did offer it all the more power to them. How many other cars in this class/general price range offer it out of curiosity?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
neoriffic said:
M3-GT said:
I think if I had an icy hill to climb when leaving my country house at -25C I would have stuck w/ AWD!
Gee. I never said I had an AWD....I said AWD cars and MY previous cars equipped with TCS had no problem.

If I could afford AWD in a cool car I would have done it by now. Give me a WRX at the price of the 3 and we can trade.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Profiles?!

Jizoshula said:
I thought the description was horrible. It doesn't fit me at all.
Ditto.

I'd been looking patiently at cars for 8 months trying to choose the 'right' one. I was actually getting psyched up for buying a SE-R Spec V when i stopped in, saw a model of a car i liked with all the accessories i wanted and got a great deal on the more practicle 3. That's what i worked 8 months to find.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts