Mazda3 Forums banner

Do you prefer the looks of the 3 with or w/o the sports pkg?

• yes, sports pkg (grille, spoiler, etc) is better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, bare is better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the US version of the 5-door will be offered with the possibilty of *not* having the sports package. I think the base version (here's an example):

http://groups.msn.com/BrunoLuong/mazda3.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=36

looks much better, without the body color grille and without the rear spoiler. I can't say not having a choice would stop me from buying, but just wondering if there will be a choice. The articles i've read seem so far seem to be unclear on the subject, but that may be due to the fact that Mazda just hasn't decided that yet :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
I believe the hatch only comes in the "S" edition which means the sport package probably comes with.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Take a look at the Canadian trims - a GS HB is listed, while it isn't on the US trims link. I doubt this will happen - whatever the US gets we usually get and vice versa.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Question about the 5-dr Hatch S model. Anyone know if this comes with the 17" wheels as standard?

I'm more interested in the 16" wheels, being fearful that the 17's will have a harsher and perhaps noisier ride.

I suppose one could always try to swap them out with the dealer, who could put the 17's on one of the non-S cars.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I believe the 17" come standard on the hatch. It only comes in the S model and it's pretty much loaded.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I assumed from the start that they would equip the standard US hatch just like the Protege5. That means spoiler, side skirts, air dam, fog lights, all the trimmings that make it gooood. I saw this picture of the standard hatch and almost lost interest in the car:

Maybe it's just a bad color/angle, but that looks like the love child of an Alfa Romeo and a PT Cruiser. Maybe europeans would dig it, but that does not fly in America. (Then again, I'm not a fan of the riced-up look of the Matrix either.) The hatch needs the sport package to compete in the Matrix/Vibe/Impreza sport wagon market niche. The sedan can get away without the sport package because the standard front fascia is more subdued and classy.

Question - is the vertical-slat sport grille going to be standard on the 3s hatch? It's a special (and not cheap) option on the 6, not part of the 6 sport package.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hmmm ... I've read three other opinions that thought the Hatch with the sport grille looked more like a PT Cruiser, which also has a grille with slats.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
I never liked the sports grill on the 6, and I maintain that opinion on hte 3. I do like the rest of the sports pkg though.
Whatever he said! Not a fan of the grille, but I like the rest - it's done tastefully.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I actually like the sport grill on the 6, but also I like the normal grill equally. The only grill I don't like is the Mazdaspeed grill.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Phot3k said:
I don't like the sport grill either....just doesn't do it for me.
Funny, the grill was my biggest beef with the sports pkg. Prefer the normal one. I could go either way for the rest of it....

·
Registered
984 Posts
The sport grill comes w/ the GFX package on the Sedan and Sport.

·
Registered
984 Posts
So, considering it's just painted plastic, why does the sport grille on the 6 cost $175?
Same reason when I had my wreck, they were charging $18 for two stickers that were 2"x2" that said "SE."

:) lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Seen grilles in person

In all the photos I've seen, I prefered the normal non-slatted grill. It looked simpler. And I generally like simplicity in my trim. After seeing both cars in person however, I reverse my stance, The slatted grille fits the aggresive character of the car more especially on the hatch. It's less generic-looking. And since Mazda, and Honda/Acura are all fighting over the same pentagon shape I think its better for Mazda to distinguish itself with this new look.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts