Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just randomly checked my oil at about 3,500 miles (im changing oil when i go home tomorrow) and noticed it was way low.

I ended up adding 2 more quarts to get it back to normal levels (had 3.5 quarts in there then...I put 5.5 in when I change oil)...that means I burned up 2 quarts of oil in the past 3,500 miles...is this normal???

I really don't think it is...but im curious to see what other speed owners are running into.  I dont have any smoking problems...yet lol.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Damn man, sorry to hear. Definately not normal. I just checked mine tonight 2500 miles since change, and it was fine. 15k on the car. Just change it out, and watch it closely. What oil do you use?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5W-30..pennzoil platinum.

Not sure where its going...No smoking from the exhaust...I've swapped out the TMIC for a FMIC and changed my intake filter...and havn't found oil anywhere in there.

The car did just get out of the shop for body repair and it was sitting around for a week and a half...not sure if that would do anything.

I am changing the oil in a few days so I'll keep close tabs and check it every week or 2 to see what it does.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Just a thought, but did you put the dip stick back in and check it again? Usually the first time I check it, it reads low. Then I'll put it back in take it back out and now the level is ok. Not sure why this is but it has made my heart skip a beat a few times and now I always check twice before getting the reading.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea...i got a paper towl...pulled it out and whipped it..put it in..and did that 4 or 5 times cuz I couldnt beleive I lost that much oil in 3,500 miles lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
i know my speed burns a small amount of oil when i beat the shit out of it. Last weekend i went to the strip had 4 runs, and of course i raced there and back as fast as i can, and the next day i took it to get dynoed and later that day i checked oil and found it around the end of the dipstick.

I just filled it up and checked every day to see if any more was getting burnt up but it seems fine now.

·
Registered
180 Posts
That is alot of oil to lose in only 3,500 miles...

Usually when it goes through that much oil in such a short period of time, it could be a number of internal potential engine failures.

I highly suggest you take your car somewhere and get a compression test. You might not see the oil burning because of your catalytic converter (we have two..)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the oil again today when the car was warm and now I have above the max line in oil. Very odd. Im going to keep a close eye on the oil levels after I change the oil and see what it does.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i just checked the oil on my 08.5 with 3200 miles yesterday. just a hair below full and i haven't touched it ever other than to check it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you don't get the car up to normal temperature, then you shut it off, the oil will read low for a while as it "hangs up" in the engine due to viscosity issues...I've had this happen before. This isn't good for the car either though...is that what happened?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=sandman2 link=topic=136799.msg2955689#msg2955689 date=1235409516]
If you don't get the car up to normal temperature, then you shut it off, the oil will read low for a while as it "hangs up" in the engine due to viscosity issues...I've had this happen before.  This isn't good for the car either though...is that what happened?
[/quote]

Might be the problem...the car was cold when I checked it...but in my aviation expereince when the engine is cold all the oil will sump up at the bottom, and the oil will read a little high.

Like I said, I'm going to keep my eye on it and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
usually the most effective way to check oil is let the car stand for 10-20 minutes after you drive it. Also, this car does eat a little bit of oil. I believe it's a quart in between the changes, per my dealer. It depends on how you drive it. I drive conservatevly for the most part. Once i added half a quart (but that was right before a change at 3000m). Usually it fluctuates a bit, but i don't bother adding, cause by the time it's starting to get on the low side, i'm due for a change (at 3k). Having over the full oil is really really bad for the engine, it puts a lot of stress on it.

it's normal for a turbo car to eat a quart in between changes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I will have to recheck mine as well, i checked before leaving work 8 hours later and was only half way beteen E and F, Ill check when i get home isntead.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Might be the problem...the car was cold when I checked it...but in my aviation expereince when the engine is cold all the oil will sump up at the bottom, and the oil will read a little high.
Dude, aviation experience?  You can't compare airplanes to cars.  I know what you're thinking, but it just doesn't work like that (I've been a pilot in the AF for 6 years) unless maybe you're talking about a Cessna 172 or something.  Even then...they're different engines.  It's true that you want to check the engine when it's cold, but if you've just run it, there is going to be missing oil that sticks to the various components and makes it read low.  I know this because I've had the dipstick read at the "low" mark, followed by the "full" mark later on. 

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am refering to piston driven aircraft.

Piston aircraft engines are extremely similar to automotive engines actually. Only big differences is the fuel is injected right outisde the cylinder (instead of directly into the cylinder) and the compression strokes are much longer in aviation engines so they will produce more torque at low RPMs. But when it comes to the layout...and operation...they are extremely similar. Some small aircraft actually use automotive engines with special gearing that connects to the prop.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts