Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright let me identify myself as a noob. I just traded in my sweet Mustang for this BEAUTIFUL '06 3 GT. I love this [email protected]$*ing car! I know enough about cars to get myself around under the hood, (oil changes, brakes, altenators, fuel pump, etc.) but I'm new to the mods. So my hobby before I bought this wonderful car was computers. I hung out on the computer boards and can now build a top of the line system for pennies. Now my hobby is this car, and i'm on a budget.

My question is this: If I can only buy a piece at a time what order should I go in for the best performance? Obviously the CAI first. But once I get my tax check my wife is allowing me to get one thing for the car, so what next? Do I go w/ a custom exhaust, a piggy back, an aluminum flywheel (which I really, really, really want)? I'm eventually going to do everything I can w/ the exception of turbo, because by the time I can afford that I can afford to by a Speed3. SO WHAT ORDER SHOULD I GO IN?

Thanks guys!

· Registered
4,484 Posts
Well after the CAI, I would go lowering springs. Will make the car look better and give you alot better handling. Hey and look over the Buy/Sell forum. Nothing like used parts. Have my items are used and couldn't be happier.

· Registered
9,374 Posts
well first off, the goddamn speed3 is NOT the end all be all of turbos for the 3. there are people here with the hiboost turbo on their regular 3s making more power than ms3s. the ms3 is a great car but if you want more than stock power you're going to have to spend another 3 grand on upgrades. might as well just upgrade your current 3 for the same amount of money and be faster doing it.

ok now that im off my "ms3 vs turbo3" soapbox, i'll answer your main question.

most people go piece by piece. sometimes it's a few pieced here, few pieces there. doesn't matter. after cai, i'd get an exhaust. either custom or one designed for the 3. i have the hks and LOVE IT. most people here go by what sounds the best then by hp. whatever works for you. after that, since you want to stay n/a, i'd look at a header, underdrive crank pulley, then the microtech ecu(full standalone), then the cosworth intake manifold. get a good tune with all those parts and you'd have a really quick n/a 3. if you really want to go all out, get a set of high comp pistons, forged rods, oversized valves, and some headwork.

as far as the tranny goes, you can get a lighter flywheel. i'd leave a clutch alone for now. look into getting cryo-treated gears from juan at hiboost.

hope this gives you some things to chew on. also, searching helps a lot as this has all been covered in the past and there is some good information out there. got to wade through all the bs though.

happy modding!

· Registered
10,290 Posts
look at the stickies having to do with differing "stages" of mods. it will help you get a good idea of what is right for you.

i agree with most of what 415 said, including the turbo applications. i wouldn't rock a lighter flywheel quite yet since you're going to sacrifice a lot of rotational inertia and it is going to bog a bit right off the bat unless you're used to a lighter flywheel.

in terms of cheapest noticeable power gains, i would say that a cai/exaust combo would open it up the most. although, for me, lowering the car was priority one because i absolutely hate wheel gap.

· Registered
9,374 Posts
just personal opinion, grounding your throttle body, advancing your timing, and the throttle body coolant bypass "mods" dont do much for any type of noticeable gain. if you're bored go for it.

[quote author=biped link=topic=64687.msg1109177#msg1109177 date=1166204673]
i wouldn't rock a lighter flywheel quite yet since you're going to sacrifice a lot of rotational inertia and it is going to bog a bit right off the bat unless you're used to a lighter flywheel.
[/quote]

in a n/a car a lighter flywheel is good because you get to your power a lot faster. quick shifts should keep you in the power band. the pro's outweigh the con's when it comes to a n/a car.

as for bogging, that's just a learning curve you have to get around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.