Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=diablospeed link=topic=139098.msg2997591#msg2997591 date=1237227750]
please explain the question a little better... or at least give us an issue you are experiencing.
[/quote]

Uh, the only way to get the car to shift as slick as an Si is to double-clutch and rev-match?

Mazda synchros = garbage.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
you mean downshifting? if you are just dropping one gear than double clutching is a total waste if you are already revmatching properly. if I drop more than one I will double clutch and be a little slower doing it

·
Registered
452 Posts
The problem is not with the Synchros. If you are grinding the gears you are rushing the synchro if you just can't get it to shift then the synchro is doing it's job correctly you have to understand that the synchros have to speed up and slow down the entire main input shaft long with the clutch disk every time you shift, there is mass there and you are asking it to slow all of that mass from 6000 rpm in 1st gear to 3800 rpm in 2nd gear in less than 0.01 second when you just grab the shifter and slam it into the next gear. You need to understand the physics of what you are asking the car to do and understand it is not a race car, as much as you want it to be it is just a fun STREET CAR.

To really answer your question, NO I don't know of ANYONE making aftermarket parts for the inside of these gearboxes. I'm not even sure if you can buy the stock Synchros even from Mazda, I have not tried (yet)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For anyone that defends this car to say it's 'just the way it is,' I'd have to ask this:

Why doesn't a Civic Si have this problem?

·
Registered
361 Posts
[quote author=Mizzle link=topic=139098.msg2997931#msg2997931 date=1237235139]
For anyone that defends this car to say it's 'just the way it is,' I'd have to ask this:

Why doesn't a Civic Si have this problem?
[/quote]

because it's a different car made by another company.

each shifter in every car will act differently.

while i do agree (as everyone else does) that shifting in the cold sucks for the first 10 minutes. i have no need to rush my shifts in the first 10 minutes of driving either. once it's warmed up i have little issues with speedy shifting. now, i make quick shifts but i don't need to push it so fast that things are struggling to keep up.

honda's is probably smoother because they have better shifters/parts/engineering into it. sitting in some honda's at the auto show i can say they had the most "velvety" shifters. and were nice.

i have a feeling you are looking for a way to 'one up' a civic over a ms3 :shock:

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=aero_student link=topic=139098.msg2998203#msg2998203 date=1237242355]
You could also switch to a better transmission fluid.
[/quote]

I could also have not-slow synchros, hence my original question...

·
Registered
219 Posts
do you have any idea what the cost would be of what you're asking for?

heck, simply the labor costs would be around $1,500

really, the only option is to go to a dog box; that means straight cute gears with NO syncro's
http://www.autotech.com/quaife/index2.htm
You're looking at $6,000+ for the gearset.

They also make an rx7 and miata kit for syncro's that runs around $1,800

so, lose the shitty attitude and try and do some actual research and learn what you're talking about. It's so frustrating to see smartasses mouthing off when they don't know what the heck they're talking about.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I still don't understand your terms "lag behind" and "slow"? Are you saying when you try to shift the synchros will not let you into the next gear as fast as you would like? Or when you shift the synchros let you shift so fast they don't get the gear cluster speed matched correctly and you "grind"?

If you are "grinding" they are not getting the job done quickly enough and maybe another type of synchro might be better but if they are "blocking" you until the gear cluster speeds are matched then they are doing as good of a job as you can expect.

If you compare the shifting action of a gearbox that has a direct mechanical linkage like a Honda that is designed to handle 150 lb/ft of torque max with a cable shifted gearbox that is designed to take almost twice the torque you are always going to like the way the light duty gearbox shifts. I have yet to find ANY transaxle that shifts anything like a transmission used in a front engine rear drive car. Go drive a Miata, Lotus Elan (the old one) E type Jag, MG , etc where the shift lever works directly on the shift forks inside the gearbox and you will understand what a "Good" shifter feels like.

And if you think a MS3 gearbox is hard to shift when it is cold you have never driven a Ferrari!! You don't even try to get it into 2nd gear until you have been driving for at least 10 minutes in the middle of the summer!

·
Registered
361 Posts
And if you think a MS3 gearbox is hard to shift when it is cold you have never driven a Ferrari!! You don't even try to get it into 2nd gear until you have been driving for at least 10 minutes in the middle of the summer!
hahahah really? i heard the Porsche Carrera GT is hard to drive because if has a grabby clutch with not much pedal travel?

i assume most exotic cars like that are a little tough to drive stick

·
Registered
596 Posts
[quote author=Byron link=topic=139098.msg2998418#msg2998418 date=1237248957]
I still don't understand your terms "lag behind" and "slow"? Are you saying when you try to shift the synchros will not let you into the next gear as fast as you would like? Or when you shift the synchros let you shift so fast they don't get the gear cluster speed matched correctly and you "grind"?

If you are "grinding" they are not getting the job done quickly enough and maybe another type of synchro might be better but if they are "blocking" you until the gear cluster speeds are matched then they are doing as good of a job as you can expect.

If you compare the shifting action of a gearbox that has a direct mechanical linkage like a Honda that is designed to handle 150 lb/ft of torque max with a cable shifted gearbox that is designed to take almost twice the torque you are always going to like the way the light duty gearbox shifts. I have yet to find ANY transaxle that shifts anything like a transmission used in a front engine rear drive car. Go drive a Miata, Lotus Elan (the old one) E type Jag, MG , etc where the shift lever works directly on the shift forks inside the gearbox and you will understand what a "Good" shifter feels like.

[/quote]
so....while driving an f430....you are saying that you have to rev at around 6000 rpm's in 1st gear for like ten minutes going down the road at 40mph before being able to switch into 2nd gear.....? riiiight...sorry if I find that hard to believe

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=aero_student link=topic=139098.msg2998396#msg2998396 date=1237248408]
...so, lose the shitty attitude and try and do some actual research and learn what you're talking about. It's so frustrating to see smartasses mouthing off when they don't know what the heck they're talking about.
[/quote]

So one of my threads gets locked for joking with someone, but this guy can run his mouth and it's ok? Cool.

Anyways, I am doing my research. I start by asking those that may already know and then I move along to other resources if no one already has the answer for me.

I didn't ask for "better transmission fluid," or (paraphrasing) "Your transmission shifts like crap because it's not an Si's transmisison." I want valid, mature answers instead of shit-talk about how I don't know what I'm talking about. I asked if there's an aftermarket for our transmission so I can get a non-crap synchro setup.

[quote author=Byron link=topic=139098.msg2997783#msg2997783 date=1237232119]
The problem is not with the Synchros. If you are grinding the gears you are rushing the synchro.... understand it is not a race car, as much as you want it to be it is just a fun STREET CAR.
[/quote]

So they built this car with the intentions of it never being shifted aggressively, but then tell Car & Driver that the only way they're hitting advertised 0-60 times is to flat-shift?

And it's funny how I NEVER had this problem in my friend's 350z or my other friend's 2008 Si (especially the Si) no matter how fast I shifted.

[quote author=the_caruch link=topic=139098.msg2998014#msg2998014 date=1237237008]
honda's is probably smoother because they have better shifters/parts/engineering into it. sitting in some honda's at the auto show i can say they had the most "velvety" shifters. and were nice.
[/quote]

So I'm not the only one that thinks this is the truth of the matter and maybe people need to stop flaming me and running around shooting their mouths off and just accept that the synchros in our car's transmission are slow to react and definitely garbage.

To reiterate what I had mentioned earlier, if you double-clutch, the car shifts like a dream. This clearly shows that the fault is with the synchros not doing their job quickly enough.

If you are "grinding" they are not getting the job done quickly enough and maybe another type of synchro might be better...
[/quote]

Case-in-point: California-roll a stop sign and double-clutch when you downshift into first. It should go in like velvet having sex with melted butter.

If you compare the shifting action of a gearbox that has a direct mechanical linkage like a Honda...
[/quote]

The new Civic Si is a cable transmission.

So the final answer is "No, there aren't any known aftermarket parts (beyond a Quaife diff,) for our cars, especially synchros," then, eh?

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
all cars that I have driven including 6 speed hondas (FWD cable linkage and direct linkage RWD cars) are not super easy to put into first while rolling unless you double clutch. The Si tranny is cable shifted, but like Byron said it is light duty, I think he was being generous when he said 150lb/ft of torque, totally beyond comparison as is the 350Z due to being mechanically linked RWD setup (although the 350Z shifter feels like shit compared to say an S2000 shifter).

Truth of the matter is that Honda makes probably the best stock gearbox setups for any car....S2000 by far has the most fun and easy to use shifter of any car out there. Its hardly fair to compare any car to their gold standards but it is a total selling point of those cars, don't even expect the shifters in BMW's and Porsches to be as easy to use or as fun as any sporty Honda model.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
[quote author=the_caruch link=topic=139098.msg2998745#msg2998745 date=1237257947]
hahahah really? i heard the Porsche Carrera GT is hard to drive because if has a grabby clutch with not much pedal travel?

i assume most exotic cars like that are a little tough to drive stick
[/quote]

Not really, most are pretty easy to drive.

·
Registered
281 Posts
[quote author=smakdown61 link=topic=139098.msg2999305#msg2999305 date=1237294094]
Step 1: Get an upgraded rear mount and shifter bushings.
Step 2: Learn to drive a stick.
[/quote]

+1.. If you want to further improve the shifting action, get a TWM STS with a wighted knob.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Honda tranny/gearboxes are rad, at least the 3 Honda/Acura's (Civic Si, Integra & RSX-S) I have owned. RE the Porsche, my inlaws 911's are pretty easy to drive/shift, maybe the Porsche GT is harder to drive?

I also find downshifting to 1st a bitch in the MS3.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
I would have no idea how hard modern manual supercars are to drive but what Byron said would definitely apply to anything exotic thats 15+ years old. I am sure just like any other car though it just takes getting used to. I wasn't very smooth with the Speed when I first got it, now for the most part I am very smooth with the car, when I drive my bro's M coupe I drive it like donkey shit, he drives it perfectly...when he drives my car he drives it like ASS

1 - 20 of 29 Posts