Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My window has a giant (12") crack in it, and it is growing daily :rtfm:. Geico is sending someone to replace it today, but since not many companies have the MS3 in their systems yet, they are coming with an '07 M3 hatch winshield. Are they the same dimensions? I looked in the manual and couldn't find the info, but maybe I missed it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

FYI, to get it replaced w/out involving insurance, I was quoted $680 and $700. Since my deductible is $250, I gladly called Geico. I was told the price is much higher for the GTs b/c of the rain sensing wipers.

Also, when I called to ask for the quote and told them the year, the bitch laughed at me when I told her '07 :wtc:

Update: Thanks for the replies. It IS the same windshield as the M3 hatch. I drove it around a little, no noises or anything, but I will truly test it on the way home from work.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Re: HELP!! Is MS3 windshield the same as the M3 hatch??

[quote author=kokemon23 link=topic=67267.msg1156095#msg1156095 date=1169145505]

Also, when I called to ask for the quote and told them the year, the bitch laughed at me when I told her '07 :wtc:
[/quote]

Thats called jealousy.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts

FYI, to get it replaced w/out involving insurance, I was quoted $680 and $700. Since my deductible is $250, I gladly called Geico. I was told the price is much higher for the GTs b/c of the rain sensing wipers.

[/quote]

That doesn't make sense to me... I thought the rain sensors were on the dash, not the windshield itself... May want to look into that but i guess you're using geico anyways.

How'd you get the crack?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

My window has a giant (12") crack in it, and it is growing daily :rtfm:. Geico is sending someone to replace it today, but since not many companies have the MS3 in their systems yet, they are coming with an '07 M3 hatch winshield. Are they the same dimensions? I looked in the manual and couldn't find the info, but maybe I missed it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

[/quote]

I have Geico too, this is a bit off-topic but YOU SHOULDN'T BE PAYING ANY DEDUCTIBLE.
As long as you have comprehensive coverage, like 99% of MS3 owners out there, Geico WAIVES the deductible for glass claims.

Wait... sorry.. that's just for WINDSHIELD REPAIRS, not REPLACEMENT

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

cant be sure, but doubt it is the same as the dash is reworked in the MS3 to fit all the motor in.
they should be able to find the info, the MS3 is not the only new car out there people are insuring.

·
Registered
471 Posts

The sensor is located where the mirror is attached to the windshield same as the auto-light sensor if I remember.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the quick responses! The guy just got here, he's taking the windshield off right now, so we'll see what the answer is soon enough.

[quote author=Mellman link=topic=67267.msg1156109#msg1156109 date=1169146010]
How'd you get the crack?
[/quote]

Apparently a rock hit my windshield just under where the passenger side wiper rests. I didn't notice anything until the crack grew up from the spot and appeared above the wiper. The crack runs all the way down to the bottom seal and up about 6" from the wiper. Even if I wanted to wait to replace it (which I don't because it brings tears to my eyes when I see it) I couldn't because it's grown about a 1/2" every day since I first noticed it. I guess it just hit one of those spots.

[quote author=leofaye link=topic=67267.msg1156113#msg1156113 date=1169146196]
Wait... sorry.. that's just for WINDSHIELD REPAIRS, not REPLACEMENT
[/quote]

Yup, if the crack is 6" or less they will repair it free of charge, but you pay the deductible for the replacement.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
there is no glass coverage in my state... damn insurance mafia won that battle.

[quote author=ClickHeRe link=topic=67267.msg1156118#msg1156118 date=1169146302]
The sensor is located where the mirror is attached to the windshield same as the auto-light sensor if I remember.
+1

[/quote]

·
Registered
178 Posts

[quote author=kokemon23 link=topic=67267.msg1156146#msg1156146 date=1169147115]

Apparently a rock hit my windshield just under where the passenger side wiper rests. I didn't notice anything until the crack grew up from the spot and appeared above the wiper. The crack runs all the way down to the bottom seal and up about 6" from the wiper. Even if I wanted to wait to replace it (which I don't because it brings tears to my eyes when I see it) I couldn't because it's grown about a 1/2" every day since I first noticed it. I guess it just hit one of those spots.

[/quote]

Are you sure it was caused by a rock chip? Can you see where the impact of the rock might have been??? The reason I ask is because the MazdaSpeed Protege was known to crack windshields from time to time, allegedly due to the stiff suspension. If I remember right, really cold weather would cause it, and it would often appear from the bottom of the windshield. Sounds pretty similar to what you just described.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

[quote author=Judd link=topic=67267.msg1156491#msg1156491 date=1169156919]
[quote author=kokemon23 link=topic=67267.msg1156146#msg1156146 date=1169147115]

[/quote]

Are you sure it was caused by a rock chip? Can you see where the impact of the rock might have been??? The reason I ask is because the MazdaSpeed Protege was known to crack windshields from time to time, allegedly due to the stiff suspension. If I remember right, really cold weather would cause it, and it would often appear from the bottom of the windshield. Sounds pretty similar to what you just described.
[/quote]

I was wondering about this, but there was a spot where the alleged rock hit. If you looked at the crack, every other part of it was smooth, then there was a small chunk out of the windshield where it hit. I'm no expert so I have to take their word for it, but it seems pretty reasonable that it was a rock that hit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts