Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOLUTION FOUND!!!

Big thanks goes out to my_mazda3 and Upashi for the big help in figuring this all out as well as everyone else who posted with their ideas!

Disclaimer: We're not responsible for any damage that occurs to your car, if you fry anything, blow anything up, do anything incorrectly, etc.

Post courtesy of my_mazda3:

1)SIGNAL =the diagram shows you need to run a wire from the c04 connector (aka blue wire) through the grommet in the fire wall to the levelling motors. just like it should be OEM
2)MOTOR P/G =Tap the power and ground from the headlights
3)P/SWITCH =Connect the red wire circled in yellow to the ignition wire pink/yellow in the ignition wiring harness. The red wire leads to the PJB but there is NO pin saughtered on the circuit board causing it not to work therefore needing an alternate power source
4)FINISHED

P=power
G=ground

Here is the diagram

·
Registered
562 Posts
Re: How-to retrofit OEM HID's?????

1.You need to remove your bumper to take out and then put in the new lights. Simple eh? :p
2.IF you want that wiring harness... it's a WHOLE engine harness, I also do not know of one person who's done the entire engine harness swap from a hid-equipped to non-hid-equipped car.
3.You pretty much either need to make a relay harness or buy one that's already made or get the engine harness and make a weekend of swapping it all over... Sounds... fun, and expensive... I made my own harness
4.The thing at the bottom left is a plug for the manual leveling harness connector. The switch sends signals to the motors in there to raise or lower the headlights.

BTW where did you get your headlights? I need the passenger xenon headlight and can't find them ANYWHERE :( I also have a mazda3 S sedan. Don't tell me you payed dealership prices hehe :) If you got them used can you give me their phone # if it was a business. I have been looking for months for the passenger side :)

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hey goldfish,

Is there anyway of installing the lights without using the WHOLE engine harness? You said you made your own harness, how??? And I got the lights from a junkyard, it was a 3 that got totaled and was going to be crushed (it got hit in the back, lucky me :lol:) But it was their only one there and I don't have a phone # sorry :sad:...

And cebo0650,

Here in the U.S. we don't get DRL, so we have no need for that DRL Bypass. Thanks for the PM too by the way!

Anyone else offer any help?

Thanks again!

Mr. Speed

·
Registered
350 Posts

Hey Mr. Speed,

Since you're not in Canada, and you don't need to do a DRL bypass I would just hook it all up to the existing wiring. Positive to the positive terminal on the ballast, and negative/ground to the negative terminal on the ballast.

Here is how you should wire them up:

Mitsubishi Ballast

Pin 1: 12V
Pin 2: Ground

White-Black: 12V
Red-Black: Ground

Reason why I say this? Although the HID equipped 3's will come with a different harness, it only differs in that it will have some additional wiring for the auto leveling motors. It would be too costly and pointless for Mazda to manufacture two different harnesses with different gage wiring for HID and halogen models. As such I'm sure the wiring in 3's originally equipped with halogens is sufficient to handle HIDs as well. I may be wrong about this, but it's very logical.

Bellow is a comparison picture, my 2004 Mazda 3 with OEM HIDs on the left and a 2005 Lexus RX330 on the right.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hey cebo0650,

So your saying that I can just connect it directly and I shouldn't have any problems??? If so thats great, thank you so much! And the pics are really helpful too!

Do you recommend the same gauge wire as you told me in the PM?

Mr. Speed

·
Registered
350 Posts

Hey Mr. Speed,

From what I can tell and from my own experience you should have no problems hooking things up directly. 12 or 14 gage wire should be just fine. I think I used 12 gage.

Here is a picture of the connectors you'll need for a nice sold and waterproof connection to the ballasts. PM me if you don't have them.

Cheers!

·
Registered
562 Posts

I wouldn't trust the stock wiring for powering the xenons personally... Several users on this board have already melted the stock harnesses by running higher wattage halogen bulbs... Xenons pull a LARGE amount of current at start up and then from there level out to being lower.

AS far as the engine harnesses being different or not... Go to your dealer or call and ask how much it would be to get the HID package installed on your car. They should say they won't install the HID package at all due to the high labor costs and part costs. They will also tell you they won't want to swap engine wiring harnesses. That is the route they would want to go too... more money.

IS it worth your stock wiring going up in smoke for a 50-75 dollar harness? Insurance....

·
Registered
398 Posts

^ I have heard of people melting the connectors by running high wattage bulbs continuously. The large current draw is only for a split second. The only reason for the connectors melting is because of the high heat of the bulb....not the current draw through the wire.

Dealers look at everything in terms of part numbers. If one harness has a part number and another harness with two different part numbers have another partnumber, they view them both as two entirely different parts. Even if they are almost electrically the same minus the two connectors, they'll go ahead and change the entire harness.

You seem to have the HIDPlanet mentality. If you really want to be cautious you would look at your own wiring first and analyze your car wiring diagram before adding additional wiring to the car. Slapping a harness into every application is foolish and a waste of time. Extra wires can be a hazard as well. FYI we already have a relayed headlight system. Waste $50 and clutter your engine compartment if you wish. cebo0650 is proof that the harness is fine.

·
Registered
350 Posts

jigga is exactly right, the melted harnesses people are reporting are due to people running higher wattage halogen bulbs which continuously draw more current and run at much higher temps then stock.

The HID ballasts do draw a large amount of current at startup (split second), but then the current the draw drops of sharply and remains bellow what even a stock halogen bulb would draw. Also, consider the fact that I have not replaced any of my fuses which are there to protect the wiring. Even at startup the ballasts don’t draw enough current to blow the fuses.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hey cebo0650,

First off thank you very much for the help that you've given me so far!

I do have those connectors (actually the ones from Mazda) but now I was looking at them/unwrapping them and I noticed something wierd on one of them and I was wondering if you/anyone could tell me what this is?

What is the reason for that heatshrink?

Here is a closeup of it:

Note: Only black wires are involved with the heatshrink, the colored wires aren't! What should I do should I omit this piece or keep it? If I should keep it how would I work around it?
The two wires that go into are the black wire for the ballast connector and the black wire for the blinker light connector, but there are 6 black wires coming out of the heatshrink and there are all about the same gauge...

I really appreciate your help guys!

Mr. Speed

Following 2 pics below courtesy of ruff from another thread...

P.S. Anyone know what that harness off to the left side of this pic is for?

Here is a pic explaining the ballast connections:

Is this the DRL Bypass??? Would I need a harness like that???

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

Regarding the harness in question, that whole mess is an independent harness that you plug into your stock headlight wiring harness. It essentially is an upgraded plug&play harness for those non-HID equipped. I'm no expert at it, but I am in the process of piecing together a custom harness to safely power my HID foglight ballasts ... and I'm learning along the way and I can at least identify the logic in the 'mess' :) So ... working from top to bottom.

• The top black box is the relay....most likely a 12VDC/30amp 4-pin relay w/ matching 4-pin socket.
    The middle black box is the fuse holder....most likely a 30 amp fuse. The single red wire that ends w/ a ring connector is where you connect it to a constant 12VDC source (i.e. directly to the battery).
    To the left ... that's a female socket to accept the male socket from the stock harness that you usually plug into the bulb. That socket/wire acts as the switch, so only one is needed (i.e. turn on the headlamp switch in the car, it tells the relay to kick on or off). That essentially makes that whole wired 'mess' a plug&play harness w/ no splicing into the stock wiring harnesses.
    The lower two wires originating from the relay and ends in spade disconnects .... are the power wires that run to each ballast. Usually, custom harness makers add an additional 15A fuse and fuse holder along each line of the two lines to further protect each ballast.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

I would highly suggest getting/using/making one of those harnesses. It is independent of your stock harnesses, and if anything happens to go wrong/short it will only affect that custom harness. You only need one, that harness that is pictured above will power both ballasts. The suggesting gauge of wiring to use for a custom harness is around 16 to 14 gauge wiring.

The first 1-3 seconds of startup both ballasts combined generally suck up ~15-20 amps and then it levels off to say ~5-7amps. So some stock headlight wiring can not take that high of an initial flow of current = wiring failure / possible short = toasting the fuse distribution block or toasting the ecu in some cars / possible electrical fire on older cars. :)

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

So can anyone here confirm whether or not HID equipped 3's & non-HID equipped 3's use the same wiring harness (same gauge, just some extra wires)???

After looking at my stock in-car wires and the ones that are attached to the HID connectors they look to be the same gauge...

Can you shed some light on this sok07 (or anyone else)?

(I'm referring to these wires when I say " the ones that are attached to the HID connectors "):

What are the chances of my stock wiring going out/up in flames?

Thanks again for all ur help!

Mr. Speed

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: How-to retrofit OEM HID's????? (UPDATE: GOOD NEWS!!!)

Hey guys,

Well I finally installed the lights and I'm loving them! I will never buy another car without HID's again!!! :lol:

Okay now here is the good news...

Now for those who don't know what they are looking at that is the pin that connects to the leveling switch. Remember I didn't have stock HID's but the switch was pre-wired! (I have an 05 mz3)

Here is the switch in place:

Unfortunately I couldn't find the wires inside the engine bay to make the switch functional...So this is where I need ur help guys! I need a wiring diagram so that I can find out where the wires go so that I can connect the motors up and have the levelers work! Please guys help me out on this! Any help will be great! Wiring diagrams or even if u know where they go and if you can tell me that would be great too!

Thanks in advance guys!

Mr. Speed

P.S. This also proves that we have the same harness between both cars (halogen & HID) and that there should be no "concerns" about melting wires or anything else...the harnesses are the same (minus different connectors) so they will be okay with the initial load of the HID's!

·
Registered
562 Posts

Last time I called the dealer parts dept, the wiring harnesses between hid and non hid cars I think had diff part numbers.

I really hope the manual leveling harness is an add in type thing that can be added because I really want to have fully function xenons. I mean it'll be great to have them in,but I wana be able to blind people too.

·
Registered
350 Posts

Hey Mr. Speed,

WOW, that is amazing news, if we have the wiring inside the car for the leveling switch, it should be relatively easy to make the wiring in the engine bay to make this work. I will keep an eye on this thread and also do some research to see what I can come up with regarding this.

I'm glad you finally got your lights in and that you're enjoying them. How did you end up connecting them? I was going to post something to help you out a few days ago, but I didn’t get a chance until now. Well, here it goes anyway; maybe it will help someone else out.

In the picture bellow I used only what is enclosed by the white lines. The rest must be for other things like the blinker, etc. I also think that all the black wires bunched together might me a common grounding point.

The bellow picture is of a connector that looks similar that we have on our stock halogen harness. If I didn’t have to worry about DRL (like you) I would have just used some spade connectors to connect the wires in the correct polarity. In the pictures, the blue in the picture above would go to the blue on the picture bellow, same with the red.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts