Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must first give credit to atvfred as this is from his write up but I figured I'd put this out there for anyone else who thinks it's a big pain in the ass to hit the unlock button twice from the remote to unlock all the doors. This is about a 5 minute mod and short of cutting the wrong wire, it's really hard to screw up.

Tools Needed:
wire cutter

Materials:
1 tap-in connector from radioshack (or a soldering iron if you feel so inclined)

All you have to do is pull off the black panel underneath the glovebox that exposes the passenger side fuse box. Do not open the fuse box but pull off the large orange connector.

Next locate the two white wires with black stripes. They will be towards the middle of the bundle. Cut the white wire with black stripe that's closest to the center of the connector.

Take your tap-in connector and slip it over the uncut wire

Take the other wire you cut and insert it into the other part of the tap in connector. Note: you are taking the side that does not run to the orange connector.

Reattach the orange connector and you are good to go.

Visual guides can be found in atvfred's post:
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=67201.msg1154306#msg1154306

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No-i don't have any pics. Like i said, look at my link to atvfred's post. For those of you who are lazy:

http://www.gotmaurice.com/mz3forums/

Mazda3 trunk popper is the document. It shows all the pics of the wires you have to use. You can follow those directions and the pics that follow.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet pic... what's it for?

·
Registered
35 Posts
woohoo. i just did this. i had an extra tap-in from my lights install. im looking for something else to do with 2 clicks.

·
Registered
40,015 Posts
:yay: It works. This does a lot for me, I don't have to waste all that energy clicking that damn button a whole another time. Phew.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is an old thread, but I just did this and it worked great so I thought it deserved a bump. I do have one thing to add, though:
If you have the factory (dealer installed in my case) alarm...

Doing this mod will set off you alarm every time you unlock your car. In order to avoid this, you need to disconnect the green wire that goes to the white/black wire you cut and spliced. This green wire goes to the alarm, and if it sees 12v when it shouldn't (normally this wire would only go high when the button is pressed twice) it things the system is being tampered with and sets itself off. If you unplug this wire, the alarm doesn't see anything out of the ordinary and disarms itself like it should. Just thought this would help someone out in the future...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Man, got to tell you I love this mod, it simplify my life instead of clicking twice, very very simple to do, are there any other tricks besides heated mirrors and led's. Does anybody knows about an led supplier in inland empire.
thanks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
*adds this to list of things to do*

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

I attempted this yesterday and unfortunately did not have as successful of results. Keep in mind that my wiring experience is extremely limited.

I wasn't sure of the gauge of the wire, but I was guessing about 16. I picked up some wire taps for 14-18 gauge wire which I thought would be just about right. I pulled off the cover, unlatched the orange connector, cut the appropriate wire, applied the tap, and reattached the connector. After closing the doors, the lock and unlock buttons would only control the driver side door. The others would not lock or unlock with the remote button or the buttons on the front doors.

I took off the tap to verify that it was creating a good connection, and it wasn't. The instructions on the taps said to leave all wires unstripped, but the slot in the tap that was supposed to cut through the rubber and connect to the wire was just squeezing the rubber around the wire. I verified that the tap was crimped as much as it could, but it just wasn't cutting through the rubber casing.

I dug through some of my stuff and found some smaller taps. I have no idea what size they were, but they looked a little smaller than the others I had gotten, so I gave them a try. These unfortunately not only cut through the rubber, but also cut through the wire.

So now I am left with 3 loose wires that I need to connect. I stripped the ends and twisted them together temporarily, but this won't be good enough for a permanent fix. There isn't enough slack in the wire that shouldn't have been cut to get a long strong twist and I am not confident that it will hold for the next 10-15 years.

It looks like my best option is soldering. I am confident I can create a good solid solder of the three wires, but it has been probably about 8 years since I have last done it and I no longer have a soldering iron. I asked around, but the ones I could borrow are all plug in and I live in an apartment with no outlets in the parking area. I would have to run about 150 feet of extension cord, which I do not have.

A quick search shows that Home Depot has a battery powered soldering iron for $15 but it received horrible reviews. I may give it a try despite the reviews, as 150 feet of extension cord will run about $60.

·
Registered
77 Posts
[quote author=TurkeySandwich link=topic=69110.msg2300496#msg2300496 date=1210349114]
Thanks for posting this.

I attempted this yesterday and unfortunately did not have as successful of results. Keep in mind that my wiring experience is extremely limited.

I wasn't sure of the gauge of the wire, but I was guessing about 16. I picked up some wire taps for 14-18 gauge wire which I thought would be just about right. I pulled off the cover, unlatched the orange connector, cut the appropriate wire, applied the tap, and reattached the connector. After closing the doors, the lock and unlock buttons would only control the driver side door. The others would not lock or unlock with the remote button or the buttons on the front doors.

I took off the tap to verify that it was creating a good connection, and it wasn't. The instructions on the taps said to leave all wires unstripped, but the slot in the tap that was supposed to cut through the rubber and connect to the wire was just squeezing the rubber around the wire. I verified that the tap was crimped as much as it could, but it just wasn't cutting through the rubber casing.

I dug through some of my stuff and found some smaller taps. I have no idea what size they were, but they looked a little smaller than the others I had gotten, so I gave them a try. These unfortunately not only cut through the rubber, but also cut through the wire.

So now I am left with 3 loose wires that I need to connect. I stripped the ends and twisted them together temporarily, but this won't be good enough for a permanent fix. There isn't enough slack in the wire that shouldn't have been cut to get a long strong twist and I am not confident that it will hold for the next 10-15 years.

It looks like my best option is soldering. I am confident I can create a good solid solder of the three wires, but it has been probably about 8 years since I have last done it and I no longer have a soldering iron. I asked around, but the ones I could borrow are all plug in and I live in an apartment with no outlets in the parking area. I would have to run about 150 feet of extension cord, which I do not have.

A quick search shows that Home Depot has a battery powered soldering iron for $15 but it received horrible reviews. I may give it a try despite the reviews, as 150 feet of extension cord will run about $60.
[/quote]

Picked up a butane soldering iron from Radio Shack and finished this up. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
354 Posts
nice. when i work with tap ins a use needle-nose pliers to push the metal thing down all the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
[quote author=elsosa2007 link=topic=69110.msg2166697#msg2166697 date=1206031669]
...are there any other tricks besides heated mirrors and led's.
[/quote]

I searched around and for a heated mirrors mod and didn't find anything. I'd love a link if you have one.

To those involved in this awesome unlock mod... thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is an awesome mod! I had this function on my Audi and was afraid it wouldn't be possible on the mz3. Cutting wires is scary, especially without pics (atvfred's word doc doesn't appear to exist anymore). But the text description is enough. Super-easy and totally worth it! Thanks to all involved.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I would do this mod tomorrow If there were some pictures to go along with it. I don't want to cut something then have to fix what I couldn't verify by picture.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts