Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.unichip.us

Anyone have any experience with this? There's a local installer around here that does this, he's still looking in to cost for install & tune....

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
not available yet.

send in ur email, so they can contact you when the plug and play will be ready!

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
[quote author=eurotuner link=topic=71458.msg1257049#msg1257049 date=1173391875]
not available yet.

[/quote]

dude, they dont work on our car!!

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
[quote author=the415 link=topic=71458.msg1257062#msg1257062 date=1173392196]
[quote author=eurotuner link=topic=71458.msg1257049#msg1257049 date=1173391875]
not available yet.

[/quote]

dude, they dont work on our car!!
[/quote]

the past ones dont work.

they are building something like a microtech unit, it will be plug and play.
wait and see what it will be like.

don t sell the bear's fur before you killed him!

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
unichip doesn't make standalones. they make piggybacks.

if they do make a standalone that's plug and play, then awesome, but that's not what the OP was asking about.

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
well thats what their website sayes... go check it out!

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=eurotuner link=topic=71458.msg1257121#msg1257121 date=1173393661]

[/quote]

nice, i didn't find that :D

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
doesn't mention anything about anything.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote author=the415 link=topic=71458.msg1257159#msg1257159 date=1173395380]
doesn't mention anything about anything.
[/quote]

what do you mean?

i thought this would be a neat option if it wasn't hard wired. i don't want to hard wire untested crap in my car. (not that this company is crap, but there's no data for the mazda3)

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
It does work (I can't give you any proof but they do, and I know that they have been working on the Mazda6 for some time). It's just like any other piggyback, some work some don't and although this works I don't think it's a good solution to consider. I talked to Unichip awhile back and I commented on a thread exactly on this. Oh and please search in the future, your future depends on it!!!

Thank you,
Kevon Dunn

EDIT: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=31750.msg467947#msg467947

Also "the415" you even commented on that last thread :lol:.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[quote author=MotorolaBizz link=topic=71458.msg1257613#msg1257613 date=1173413176]
Oh and please search in the future, your future depends on it!!!
[/quote]

What are you some kind of prodigy?

You'll notice there's a thread for performance chips and a thread unichip started by some guy from belgium. The guy that started the other thread from Belgium turned in to a euro-spec conversation, and i didn't want to talk about all the performance chips, just the Unichip.

So here's a thread about Unichip, at least its not about "what cold air should I get" or "what exhaust is the best?"

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
[quote author=mazdamn02 link=topic=71458.msg1257739#msg1257739 date=1173418540]
[quote author=MotorolaBizz link=topic=71458.msg1257613#msg1257613 date=1173413176]
Oh and please search in the future, your future depends on it!!!
[/quote]

What are you some kind of prodigy?

You'll notice there's a thread for performance chips and a thread unichip started by some guy from belgium. The guy that started the other thread from Belgium turned in to a euro-spec conversation, and i didn't want to talk about all the performance chips, just the Unichip.

So here's a thread about Unichip, at least its not about "what cold air should I get" or "what exhaust is the best?"

[/quote]

Well I have been told by some..... 8) ahem the thread that I posted is about Unichip (I should know because I posted in it and talked to Unichip). I don't understand why it needs to be covered again when it's already been talked about and solved (did you even read the thread that I posted?).

Even though you say you want a thread based solely on Unichip don't you know that this thread will be buried, and probably another year heck maybe some more months someone will start a new thread and ask again. That's why I posted, not trying to be harsh, I would just like to cut down on threads that have been discussed before. Plus you introduced a thread that people weren't giving you answers for so I figured I was killing two birds with one stone.

Don't get me started on the CAI or Exhaust threads, those are annoying as hell but one man can only do so much (that's why we have moderators :) ).

If you want I can cut the BS from the other thread and post it in here tomorrow. So when this thread closes it will have all the information needed + the comments here for an informed decision.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
yes i commented in that thread but not about the unichip.

just because it work's on the 6, doesn't mean it will work on the 3. they are 2 different ecu's.

hell, the $1500 price he quoted you is more than a Microtech that is a fuel and ignition standalone computer. That is the best option.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Microtech sounds like the way to go.

Thx for the info MotorolaBizz. I found your info buried in there.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
[quote author=the415 link=topic=71458.msg1257876#msg1257876 date=1173427059]
yes i commented in that thread but not about the unichip.

just because it work's on the 6, doesn't mean it will work on the 3. they are 2 different ecu's.

hell, the $1500 price he quoted you is more than a Microtech that is a fuel and ignition standalone computer. That is the best option.
[/quote]

The reason I said it works is not because it works for the Mazda6 but when I was calling Unichip and whatnot and finding info I also called several tuner shops in my area (MD,D.C. NOVA). Not only have they tuned numerous Mazda3's but a few of them of tuned Mazda3's with the Unichip. "Altered Atmosphere" is one of those shops.

And Mazdamn02 glad you found what you were looking for. I'm still gonna paste the information here in this thread.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Post 1:
Wingzero Saw it during Car and Driver a few weeks ago. The offer plug and plays for a lot of vechiles, but for the 3 it has to be hard wired in a piggyback. Anyways heres the link: http://unichip.us/

Post 2:
MotorolaBizz I'm on the phone with a Unichip retailer right now. I got a ball park at around $1500 dollars for the hardwired version and it's really neat about the features of this chip. From what I got from the guy, it's better than a stand alone system because it compesates for cold starts and etc... the guy was talking fast so I didn't get all the information down on paper. If I get this work done it will be at http://www.totalperf.com/products.html in Mt. Airy MD for anyone interested. The reason why the hard wired system was so expensive is because of the work that needs to be done (by a qualified tuner with the proper equipment) to be put in like soldering of wires and connecting things, but also if you have the hardwire system you have every possible feature available (whatever that means). I'm about to call Unichip directly to see what the wait time is on th PnP model.

Edit: I just talked to Unichip directly and they aren't planning on getting a plug and play model togother for atleast six months due to low interest and the amount of cars that are currently being setup for Unichip. The lady said that they had a Mazdaspeed Protege and a Mazda 6 but no Mazda 3. Also the cost of the hardwired unit itself is around $500.00 and if they came out with a PnP model it would be around $800.00. I hope that helps anybody out there :D

Post 3:
MTLMazda3 That's waaaay too expensive. If I had something that needed to be HARD WIRED into the PCM, I'd go to the junkyard and pull a donor PCM so as not to mess with my original.

Also, good luck hiding that thing from a diagnostic scan and say bye bye to your warranty. At least when you have a PnP unit, you can pluck it out when you go in for warranty work.

Post 4:
MotorolaBizz[quote author=MTLMazda3 link=topic=31750.msg445256#msg445256 date=1129660156]
That's waaaay too expensive. If I had something that needed to be HARD WIRED into the PCM, I'd go to the junkyard and pull a donor PCM so as not to mess with my original.

Also, good luck hiding that thing from a diagnostic scan and say bye bye to your warranty. At least when you have a PnP unit, you can pluck it out when you go in for warranty work.
[/quote]

Yeah it's hella expensive :? but the unit itself is $500.00 if you could install yourself (I definitly can't) you could knock out alot of the cost. Also from what I read from Unichips website it does not void the warrenty. Click the link to their FAQ.

http://unichip.us/faq.asp

Edit: the Unichip doesn't alter your ECU that I can think of (refer to site) also as with any performance mod yes this one can void a warrenty but it wouldn't void the warrenty unless the dealer could prove it caused the problem just like an intake or something. I talked to my dealer and their cool with the idea. Me and my mechanic often talk about how to mod my car so I'm likin this very much :D
Edit2: My bad if I didn't make this clear, the only reason why I put $1500 down was because it included all of the install from the performance company I talked to. I'm still learning about this unit but it monitors and controls everything a ECU would and controls things like Boost and deletes the governer and do alot of other things.

Post 5:
MTLMazda3
Saw it during Car and Driver a few weeks ago. The offer plug and plays for a lot of vechiles, but for the 3 it has to be hard wired in a piggyback.
Anyways heres the link: http://unichip.us/

Also from what I read from Unichips website it does not void the warrenty. Click the link to their FAQ.
Here is a quote from their site:

All ECU modifications can void a manufacturer’s warrantee if the modification caused a failure, regardless of what aftermarket ECU manufacturers may claim. If the dealer finds it in the car, and the warranty claim is engine related, the dealer may have a case and may attempt to not honor the claim under warranty. The dealer still has to prove the modification caused the failure.
Considering that the chip causes changes to the A/F mapping, the spark timing and other parameters, I'd say that the dealership would have a case regarding engine/tranny warranties.

Unichip doesn't alter your ECU that I can think of (refer to site) also as with any performance mod yes this one can void a warrenty but it wouldn't void the warrenty unless the dealer could prove it caused the problem just like an intake or something.
From what I have heard, it will modify the signals your PCM sends to the engine. It piggybacks on your ECU's own programming and that's why it needs to be hard wired into the circuitboard.

Post 6:
NSN Motorsports Unichip has been used on the Protege's for a while now (check it out on msprotege.com) .... not exactly a great solution overall... can't program it yourself in most cases.. sketchy maps... other problems etc... and btw all standalones compensate for cold startup and a host of other things... they are basically feeding you a lot of bull it looks like... It's not a bad unit, but it sounds like it is being made out to be more than it really is... so look with caution.

THAT'S ALL FOLKS

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i'm having a local shop quote me cost for the unichip and install for curiosity sake.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts