Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some really old threads on this topic, and rather than getting flamed for resurrecting one of those threads, I am posting a new one.

I installed my pro-kit about a week ago and I have noticed an uneven drop. My Driver Side is almost 1/4 inch lower than my Passenger Side. I can't even fit two fingers in the driver side. I read one thread where there was mention of the perch cup sliding down on one the shocks, so I suppose I should try that, but are there any other suggestions??

One other thing. The install went smoothly but I also noticed not long after that the front rims had a honey colored oily substance on the outside and had some black oily stuff on the inside. Of course that could be from several reasons such as me not washing my car in a few weeks, the build up of break dust or running over something on the road. I also hear a very faint clicking noise that is only audible when not on the freeway and when driving straight down the road at a low to medium speed. Plus, my alignment is out of wack, as I have excessive negative rear camber on the back left (-2.7) vs back right (-2.0) Any ideas?

Side View (low side)

Rear View

Front

Driver Side Wheel Gap (low side)

Passenger Side Wheel Gap

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
now that I think about it, I remember one of the guys who helped me install the kit may have originally overtightened the driver side spindle bolt or front endlink. The other guy told him that was too high of torque setting and loosened it. You guys think a loose or broken endlink or spindle bolt could cause this lean and noise?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm thinking that the spring(s) on the passenger side are not fully seated into the springs perches yet. Give it a little time and they should do it on their own.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I just thought that maybe the passenger side was where it should be and the driver side was actually too low. I think I will just jack the car up and double check the bolts behind the wheel (endlink, spindle bolts). Other than that, I will just wait until after I get the SPC cambers installed and a good alignment. The car is not too responsive right now with the wheel specs, so I'm looking forward to the improvement post camber and alignment.

one last shot from the front to show the imbalance:

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
For the click noise. Hit the inner bolt with an impact because it might be loose. The strut on my front left side was loose and it was moving around. Causing a rattling and clicking noise when I went over light bumps at highway speeds. As for the unevenness, how are you front endlinks? The bolt on the left side of my awr endlink snapped and for some reason I noticed that the the rear right sat higher than the rear left. I put the stock endlinks back on and everything evened out... :dance2:

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr94/axelacubed/IMG_2598.jpg?t=1237239728

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Just make sure the springs are clocked into th eright position on the strut's spring perch. You can jack the car up and rotate it fully into the detent where it is supposed to go, if it's not there already.

If that's not it, it may take a hundred miles to set in.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. We already rechecked the spring perches last week and one of the passenger side did in fact have about a pinky's width gap between the bottome edge of the coil and the flanged end of the spring perch. That spring was twisted to meet the end of the perch. We also double checked the torque specs on the strut tower bolts, though I supposed I can check again by tapping the bolts with a wrench.

What I do want to do is check the spindle bolts again and the end links. I also am going to check the cv joints because I have been hearing a "ka-tunk" kind of clankedy noise only when getting on or off of the expressway, making a hard right at a decent speed and hitting some imperfections in the road. That noise was really faint months ago and it has gotten louder. Didn't think too much of it at first because my car was in and out of the shop a lot due to be t-boned and I was just happy to have her back.

Also, when I had my tires rotated a few weeks ago - pre pro-kit install - I noticed that the front two wheels had a honey colored sticky substance coating them and were fairly dirty inside. I thought that was just because my car was absolutely filthy but that might be related as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ive never had any sort of noise come from my pro-kit, but i find from certain angles its lower on one side then the other, i thought it was just my eyes thou, its been like this for over a year now.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I looked at some older photos of my car - pre drop - and I actually had a small lean to the left from day one and I guess I never noticed it or it became just a bit more pronounced after the springs were installed.

In addition, I went to Midas. They checked everything over, free of charge. The lifted my car up and let me walk underneath it with them. No CV joint issues, no loose sway bar endlinks, checked the spindle bolts, and checked the torque on the strut top bolts. Now, the guy torqued the 3 outer bolts up to 30, even though I read on here they should be at 20 ft/lbs. He air gunned the center bolts too, which I understand should be around 50 or so. Car feels tighter and better now. I've still got a vibration in my dash somewhere around the steering column, but haven't heard the louder noise again. fingers crossed.

·
Registered
693 Posts
What has always bothered me with the pro kit drop is how it is lower in the front than in the rear. Some sedans, however, seem to have an even drop. I gave up looking for a solution to the discrepancy.

·
Moderator of donks
32,022 Posts
[quote author=Archenteron86 link=topic=139059.msg3001987#msg3001987 date=1237393359]
What has always bothered me with the pro kit drop is how it is lower in the front than in the rear. Some sedans, however, seem to have an even drop. I gave up looking for a solution to the discrepancy.
[/quote]

Throw about a hundred and eighty pounds of weight in the back :mrgreen: I had my snow tires back there this morning and my drop was dead even :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I always make fat chicks ride in the back! :lol:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Better yet, "could you please crawl into the trunk?" Gives new meaning to the phrase, "junk in da trunk."

·
Registered
452 Posts
[quote author=wolverine_man link=topic=139059.msg2997003#msg2997003 date=1237213021]
now that I think about it, I remember one of the guys who helped me install the kit may have originally overtightened the driver side spindle bolt or front endlink. The other guy told him that was too high of torque setting and loosened it. You guys think a loose or broken endlink or spindle bolt could cause this lean and noise?
[/quote] Most definitely not.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, so after an alignment my car still has a little lean to the left. I can really feel it when I sit in it. I'm not really heavy - only 160 lbs. I noticed in one of my older pics that it leaned a little to the left before the drop. It just seems like it is more now. I can get two fingers in the wheel well on the front passenger side but not quite on the driver side. Is there any chance this could be a shock that's giving out at just 19K miles? I guess I should check my endlink bushings too?

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
most likely when you see uneven drop its just spring not seated in properly.. or just an uneven parking where you park :) hahha and take pics.. cause that happens...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts