Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that there are no under hood insulation but I can see mounting holes. Is the under hood insulation installed on other non NA 3s?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Underhood insulation is to keep the sound and noise down. Most are flame-redardent as well.

Mine has an insulation. Yours doesnt?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not on my GS... How about other sedan owners? Does the GT (2.3L) sedan has it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
mine has it ('s' trim, US model). build date is 11/03, if you think that makes a difference.

i'm surprised to hear some don't have it. with mine, i hear more of the exhaust than the engine...though it does make it hard to shift by ear :) .

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I got it. 10/03 build.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
vaBooM said:
Underhood insulation is to keep the sound and noise down. Most are flame-redardent as well.

thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I also have it and I have the same car as you do.
Go to the dealer and have them install it, must have been missed at the factory.

·
Registered
24 Posts
since we're on topic, one thing I noticed during the test drive is that the interior of the car is friggin silent. Too silent for a noobie to shift by ear. Do you manual transmission drivers have this same problem? What happens if theres conversation in the car or music?

Anyhow, I'd like to know if theres a way to make the engine more audible inside the car, preferably without modifying the exhaust. I dont want to sound like an angry hornet with a 5" rice can. Perhaps I can remove some sound insulation from behind the dashboard?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Dedguywalkin, the insulation is not a problem IMHO. If You can't hear the motor, look at the rpm gage.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I thought the engine was quiet, but not that quiet, give it some time to get used to the lower engine noise, until then just look at the rpm gauge like gib said.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I also find the underhood insulation a lifesaver in the winter. Nothing better than running in somewhere for a couple hours and when you come out still having some warmth on your block. My Jeep had none, and after about a half hour off in the winter, I would have to go through the whole warming up phase again. It's definately nice to jump back in the car and turn the heat right back on.

Craig

·
Registered
526 Posts
shaund said:
get a shift light... your not blind as well as deaf are ya? j/k

ROFLMAO! :p :p

·
Registered
563 Posts
I usually found myself going by feel in my Jeep. I could feel the engine, mostly through the pedal/floorboard, and knew when to shift. After a while, it becomes natural, and I found myself not even thinking about it, and definately never checked the tach or the shift light, and I couldn't hear the engine over the radio and no top. It might take a while, but you'll find what works.

Craig

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Clarification from the parts department: 2.0 (i or GS) doesn't come with under hood insulation and the price for one is CAD$87.82 (for s or GT sedan).

All this apply to Canada and US may be different...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I looked again and there is one on my car. Looked at the bill of sale too and I see no charges for one.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I checked with the Parts department and there is no Part# for GS sedan underhood insulation blanket, but it has one for GT sedan so either your dealer installed the GT one for you or the Part ordering system is not updated... BTW, the part is in national back order...

There are also 2 other GS sedans sitting on the lot which also come with no underhood insulation...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts