Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new the the forum and Mazda in general. I have officially owned a Black MS3 or a week now and am loving it! I discovered something under the hood today and was wondering if anyone else had come across this. I couldn't find anything in the forums that addressed this so forgive me if it's been brought up before.

I was trying to understand the design of the stock airbox, as I'm considering a CPE intake as my first upgrade. At first I couldn't figure out where the air box was pulling in fresh air from because I couln't see any openings behind the grill for the air box, just the scoops for the intercooler. I pulled out the right side scoop and noticed what I've highlighted in the pics below. (hope I linked them correctly) It's a big plug in what looks to me to be a fresh air inlet specificly for the air box!! It just snaps in there, so I took it out, but was wondering if anyone else noticed this on their 3, and had an explanation as to why it's there??

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yeah, it's the air intake for the battery box. Do you not have a big plastic thing connecting the battery box to that area?

Wait you said MS3.. You have a MazdaSpeed 3? If you do, then Mazda probably changed some stuff and I wouldn't worry about it then since they won't make a whole brand new part for a car that pretty much is exactly the same cept some engine stuff.

Here's a random picture of a regular Mazda3 Engine bay. See the plastic thing going from Battery to the hole you highlighted?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, I see... Yeah, They've routed fresh air to the battery thru the duct work that feeds the IC on my MazdsSpeed3. It plugs into the plug you see on top of the battery box in your pic.Thanx for posting the pic!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts