Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've replaced the passenger side ball joint of my Mazda3 2008 but I can't put it back in place.
It's 1 inch off and I can't make it fit again.
Also, I noticed it was like that when I disconnect the ball joint with the "fork" tool (that was really hard), see pictures.
What's wrong ? Thx.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Last time I helped someone with the same problem, he hadn't removed the axle nut, so the pulling on the CV axle had caused the joints to separate internally: https://www.reddit.com/r/mazda3/comments/hfyu0r
In your "after" photo, it does indeed look like the outer CV joint is askew. It might go without saying, also, but the front bolt should be loose until the ball joint is back together and the arm is at ride height before torquing. That makes joining the knuckle and ball joint easier, and it prevents premature failure of the front arm bushing by being torqued in the wrong position.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You hosed your CV axle from what it looks like in the pictures. Now you will get to learn another important repair project. Fortunately aftermarket axles are not too expensive. A slide hammer and appropriate puller hook for CV axles makes it an easy job, relatively. So the bright side is, you get to buy more new tools!

·
Registered
551 Posts
You hosed your CV axle from what it looks like in the pictures. Now you will get to learn another important repair project. Fortunately aftermarket axles are not too expensive. A slide hammer and appropriate puller hook for CV axles makes it an easy job, relatively. So the bright side is, you get to buy more new tools!
Judging by the corrosion, the OP gets to learn/practice a lot of cursing as well when separating the axle from the spindle. Coat the face and shaft of the replacement CV axle (lightly) with Anti-seize.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You may have simply pulled the inner joint out too far, usually can be reassembled, but you will probably have to remove/replace boot. Easier to get a new driveshaft, if that is the issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If I were you, I'll just follow the steps I saw in two youtube videos by people changing the lower control arm. To reattach the lower control arm, they start by attaching the ball joint first and work their way back to the bolts holding the lca. When I did both of my lower control arms in my 04 Mazda 3, I had a rough time putting those ball joints as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts