Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me like an hour but i got my whole car waxed with McGuier's Gold class wax. Its good stuff

the last one is kinda blurry

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I'm glad that works for you. It doesn't seem to work that well on my black 6. I'm pretty unhappy with the results I've been getting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Consumer Reports tested 26 waxes. McGuier's Gold was like number 13 mainly because its durability wasn't that good. Zymol was rated the best, but it's the most expensive.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Found it, May of 2000 Issue. If I can beat the deadline, here goes the list:
1. Zymol Cleaner Wax
2. Prestone Bullet Wax
3. Nu Finish Car Polish - Paste
4. Armor All Car Wax
5. 3M One Step Cleaner Wax 39006
6. Turtle Wax Emerald Series Advanced Liquid Wax
7. Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Car Wax
8. Nu Finish Car Polish - Liquid
9. Eagle One Wet Polish and Wax
10. Blue Coral Cleaner Wax with Swirl Remover
11. Turtle Wax Express Shine Spray Car Wax
12. Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Car Wax
13. Mothers California Gold Original Formula Cleaner Wax
14. Rain-X Ultra Wax
15. Armor All Spray On Car Polish
16. Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
17. Turtle Wax Finish 2001
18. Blue Coral Self Wax No BuffCar Wax
19. Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Step 3 Carnauba Wax
20. Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax Phase 3
21. Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Car Wax
22. Mothers California Gold Original Formula Cleaner Wax
23. Meguiar's Quick Wax
24. The Wax Shop Super Glaze
25. Turtle Wax Emerald Series Advanced Paste Wax
26. Meguiar's Cleaner Wax

Damn, I use the number 19 wax? On the other hand, I use all three steps, so maybe that helps. And I have multiple coats on, which helps too. Then again, maybe it's time I look into another wax. My baby deserves only the best.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great post! thanks for that

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well, the review was from May of 2000. I don't think Zaino has been out that long, or maybe that it's just not available anywhere but the one website. Either way, I'm thinking it looks beautiful, and if it's durable, then I'd bet it would rate highly if Consumer Reports ever gets around to testing again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Isn't Zaino a Polymer, not a Wax? If they were just testing "wax" then that would explain the omission.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I believe Zaino is a polymer wax, or at least one of the Zaino products is. I'll bet if you use all the products together, there's a significant difference in the finish. Ok, made my decision. I'm going to buy the Zaino kit and give away my three-step Meguiars. My dad's car is 5 years old, but he treats it well, maybe he'll want to have it. In the meantime, since it rained all weekend and my car is really clean outside right now, I think I'm going to throw on a whole new coat of wax, after all, it can't hurt.

·
Registered
396 Posts
mequiar cleaner wax is mentioned twice.
it sucks that we canadians don't get zaino.

does anyone know where to go get zymol cleaner wax in canada (toronto)

·
Registered
135 Posts
That Meguiar's Gold Class doesn't seem to have any depth at all. The car looks clean, but it doesn't look wet or glossy. Could just be the pictures...

Here's an example of depth, as provided by Zaino:

See my pics in this thread for more Zaino results on my 2 Miatas. You can also see Meguiars' new NXT on a yellow Z06. If all goes well, I'll be trying the NXT on my Winning Blue 3 this weekend. I'll take pics and report back, I'm sure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kirk said:
That Meguiar's Gold Class doesn't seem to have any depth at all. The car looks clean, but it doesn't look wet or glossy. Could just be the pictures...

Here's an example of depth, as provided by Zaino:
your not fooling anyone buddy, i know you used lens flare on photoshop with this pic.

·
Registered
135 Posts
:p

Actually, that is an unaltered photograph :)

In this one, you can see how the metallic paint flares up in the sun after a good Zaino day:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used Turtle Wax carnuba wax in the green can with the little yellow sponge on top. Always works great for me.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've been using Meguiars for a couple of years now, and I have to say, I just ordered the Zaino Kit. Sure, Meguiars does alright, but the durability is less than I'd hope for. If the Zaino delivers, I'll take some photos that will stop your heart. hmm, now to find a background worthy of the car. Ooh, I know just the spot. Just you wait, just you wait.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i ran my finger across various parts of my car and its getting sorta rough...do you guys think its almost time for a clay and waxing? or should i just wax it?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I headed over to mom's today to teach her how to wash and shine the new car up all purdy like. While she was working on hers, I did mine as well. I was eager to try out the new NXT I had purchesed, as I've heard glowing reviews on it.

We washed both cars with Dawn to remove dealer crap, then washed them again in car shampoo (Zaino). After we dried them, we put on a coat of NXT spray. Easy on, easy off. Nice. Then we put a coat of the NXT polish on. Again: easy on, easy off.

I stood back from the cars and looked at them: one really bright blue Mazda 3, one bright white VW Golf. They looked... clean. And that was about it. The colors didn't pop, and the reflectivity didn't do much to excite me. I had expected the NXT to be much deeper and wetter looking. So, to experiment, I finished with a coat of Zaino spray on the 3 while mom finished her NXT buffing. There was a noticeable difference. Without telling her what I was doing, I went over to her car, had her rub a towel over the front quarter panel, and saying "remember how that feels". Then I shot it with Zaino spray, wiped, buffed, and had her run the towel over it again. "Big difference... much smoother" was her evaluation.

Then, to further test my theory, I did about 1/3 of her hood with the Zaino. It was clear out, so you could see sky and tree reflections. When looking at the same reflected image in the hood, my mom (who knows absolutely nothing about car care) commented that the Zaino'd part was "like putting glasses on", because it was so much clearer and that much deeper. Naturally, that meant I had to finish the rest of her car. Heh.

So, this NXT stuff... I'm not impressed. The more I look at my car, the further from impressed I am, actually. I won't say it's bad stuff at all; it's very easy to apply and remove, and it looks decent. But I expected a heck of a lot more out of the product than this. I put it squarely in the "over-hyped, under-delivered" category. It's a pretty big statement when my mom can see a big difference.

I will be stripping it off of my car the first chance I get, and redoing the car in Zaino. There's no way I'd take it anywhere near Mojo. Besides, my mom says Zaino is better, and mothers always know best.

I took pics with my camera phone, but I dunno how they turned out. I'll check, and if they're no good, I'll take some others.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts