Mazda3 Forums banner

Which Option?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Maz3 puppies, here's how it boils down - I'm ordering my 3 this upcoming week, and besides the crisis of '...what colour to get???' there's an even BIGGER issue...please, vote on options and explain, if you're so obliged!

Option #1) A GS w/ both packages (power/convenience) as well as the full 160,000 km warranty. +'s include the moonroof and all the other goodies...negatives are the smaller engine

Option #2) A GT, strictly base model, no extras besides whaty it comes with....all I get is the extra-large 2.3 engine..but no warranty, no sunroof, etc.

So, what do I do..?? What am I more likely to find worth my time...and my money?? Helppp!

EDIT: Yes, the title :twisted:

·
Registered
627 Posts
All for the features

I'm a feature junky, and if you're getting the extended warrenty with the GS model and you want to keep it longer, I'd pick the one with the features to keep you entertained for the length of your ownership.

·
Registered
481 Posts
another benefit to option #1 is the smaller engine will get you better fuel econ... a nice thing with how expensive gas is (and will get) here in Ontario!

·
Registered
256 Posts
My rule of thumb is always to purchase the model with the largest engine. Otherwise the car is underpowered in my book. There are quite a few standard features on the s not available on the i anyway (not sure if it's in the same in Canada.) The 2.3 gets you 29mpg on the freeway which is pretty damn good too. An extended warranty is a waste in my book. They are set up to make money for Mazda. It's a crap shoot, and frankly, I'm not the gambling type.

One last question - is a sunroof even necessary in Canada? How often are you going to be able to open the thing up anyway?

Well, that's my two cents anyway...

·
Registered
481 Posts
EnFuego138 said:
My rule of thumb is always to purchase the model with the largest engine. Otherwise the car is underpowered in my book. There are quite a few standard features on the s not available on the i anyway (not sure if it's in the same in Canada.) The 2.3 gets you 29mpg on the freeway which is pretty damn good too. An extended warranty is a waste in my book. They are set up to make money for Mazda. It's a crap shoot, and frankly, I'm not the gambling type.

One last question - is a sunroof even necessary in Canada? How often are you going to be able to open the thing up anyway?

Well, that's my two cents anyway...
a sunroof is great in Canada... the best time to have it open is cool sunny days and cool clear nights... why would i want it open in the blazing summer and have the top of my head BBQed?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I do think all th options would be cool but you nay find later that you wished you went with the bigger engine. I was thinking of getting our i model but decided that it made sense to think about getting the s for the bigger engine. Also there is nothing wrong with a single cd player and if you really wanted it a little later down the line you could have a moonroof put in.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm looking for bang for the buck. When I get one it will be a Hatchback with no options (unless I can find one with only the ABS option package). The moonroof/CD package adds weight to the car, puts a hole in the roof and cuts down on the head room around an inch or so. I doubt I could get my helmet on if it had the moonroof.

As a side note, it can get pricey if the moonroof mechanicals break outside of the warranty. I was about 20 miles away from being out of warranty when my current car's moonroof would no longer close. Dealer told me it would have been around $1100 to fix it. I haven't opened it since, that was over 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Well... my thoughts:

If u're thinking Auto tranny, just get the GS with smaller engine. You'll enjoy the better fuel consumption of the 2.0L

Otherwise, if u're getting the manual, then get the GT with 2.3L.

The moonroof seems useless to me. I dun like the sun BBQ my head plus it just doesn't seem that much brighter to the interior of the car to me anyway.

Another thing is that if u want to tint ur windows, there's ur extra piece of glass gotta go tint it with. Also, maintenence and regular cleaning and lubricating the rubber surrounding of the glass is necessary.

For me, i HATE having to do all those hassles.

But rule of thumb: Auto (GS), Manual (GT)

cuz the auto will eat up a lot of power from the 2.3L engine

·
Registered
656 Posts
FR3D said:
for me, I rather enjoy more goodies INSIDE the car, so option #1 :)
Me too. We think alike Fr3d! :)
Oh, and it's cheaper to ensure the GS than it is for the GT.
Besides, the GS engine is powerful enough; you don't really need that extra 12 horsepower. Not to mention, you'll be really satisfied with the 160K warranty. A peace of mind.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Inno said:
cuz the auto will eat up a lot of power from the 2.3L engine
It eats up power on whatever engine...not just the 2.3 but the 2.0 also.

Anyway...I always go for the biggest engine....I bought the 3 to drive.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Go for the options! .3 of a litre in engine size will not make a huge difference (except in fuel consumption and overall weight) and the smaller engine is the smoother one. (Check out the reviews). The other VERY important thing to do is test drive both, one after the other and see what the seat of your pants and your eyes tell you.
When all is said and done this is a very personal choice and owners of both models will advance their own preferences. Don't forget resale value too. What will the often young first vehicle, second hand purchaser be looking for? All the features?

·
Registered
168 Posts
It depends on what your priorities are. Make a list of what's most important, & that will likely determine for you which package to get. Here's my list of must-haves:
- moonroof
- manual tranny
- blue electroluminescent background; I find the red on black a little too intense
- the sport seats

Based on this list, my choice would have to be a GT /w GFX package, & perhaps with a MP3 player thrown-in :D !

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
That is NOT in his options list, jintegra!

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you're planning on keeping this car for like 8+ years it won't matter much, but if you wanna sell after say 3-4 years the GT model will be much easier to sell than the GS.

If u got 2grand more just add the gfx package to the GT and go with that.. :p if not ..from what I understand the only thing that the base GT is lacking from the fully loaded GS is the moonroof? GT itself has a few more options standard.. the extra tweeters + fancy gauses...

tough choice u got :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I've purchased the base GT m5 (counting the days). I debated the GFX package for the moonroof, but decided that I didn't need it. I figured I'll be to busy enjoying driving the car :D to even care for the moonroof. Plus it's one less thing for me to worry about breaking since I'm planning on driving the car into the ground.

I test drove the GS after the GT, not sure I tested them in the best of orders because my perception of the GT being a little more powerful might have tainted my opinion of the GS. In the end I felt I enjoyed driving the GT more than the GS. I totally understand being on a budget, so fuel consumption is a concern.

The questions I asked myself were: Will 12 hp make a difference? Will .3 L make a difference? For me if fuel economy was the most important factor I would have bought a Civic. Have you test drove both of them back to back? I say go with your gut instincts after test driving them (again)!! Tuff choice. Good luck. Let us know.

Mig

·
Registered
168 Posts
Inno said:
That is NOT in his options list, jintegra!
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I was just trying to illustrate how one could determine what options to get based on what's most important to that person, by using my own requirements as an example. If say, performance was top priority, then option#2, but if practicality was most important (economy, extended warranty etc) then option#1. I can't tell him which option he should pick since I don't know what is most important to him.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts