Mazda3 Forums banner

Whats your average gas milage

• Total voters
5941 - 5960 of 5977 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
2012 hatchback Skyactiv manual. 30 mpg @ 50% city/hwy, short trips, flogging the hell out of it. On long trips I get a hair under 40 @ 80 to 90mph with the AC going full blast, 100F to 110F ambient.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know if this thread is still alive, but I'd love to share how much miles a tank of gas went for my Mazda3. 2007 Mazda3 s, Manual, 60,xxx miles (I think this plays a huge factor). Brought me from Seattle, Washington to Portland, Oregon back and forth with a couple of city drives which is roughly around 350 miles. Mostly highway driving, but my cruising speeds were between 80mph - 110mph.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Little update 06 Gt hatchback w/172k 5spd with fujita cold air intake,lowered on stance coilovers,Yakima bike rack. I was getting 28.6 on the dash with a check engine light for 02 sensor and 31 on paper(gas recipts). Now that I took my bike rack off it went up to 31 on the dash and 34.0 on paper. 80 percent hwy cruise control @ 65mpg. Still have the check light on. :roll:

P.S
On my last fill up the trip computer said 517 miles till empty, I have gotten 405 on my last fill up and this is the second time I've reached that number.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just took my first trip in my new (to me) 2011 3i Touring (2.0 Auto, 42k miles) yesterday. It's a trip I do monthly, and it's not exactly a perfect highway trek. I'm starting to name it "my max gas mileage route" from here on out. I typically drive at 5 MPH over the posted speed limit.

Here's a basic layout of the trip (estimated):

10 miles of interstate @ 70 MPH (leaving from a gas station about 3 miles from home)
26 miles of mountainous 2-lanes @ 45-60 MPH (mostly 60) Some stop and go
12 miles of interstate @ 70 MPH
95 miles of mountainous 2-lanes @ 45-60 MPH (mostly 60) Some stop and go
5 miles of stop and go.

Reverse back home.

I stopped for gas about 13 miles before getting home (10¢ cheaper).

269.5 miles, 6.960 gallons to fill - 38.72 MPG

I'm thrilled! Compared to the car this replaces ('01 Subaru Outback H6 VDC wagon), I achieved almost a 13 MPG increase on the same trip. This is, by far, the most fuel efficient car I've ever taken on that trip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
poor mileage on 2010 S hatchback

So far, I'm pretty disappointed in the fuel economy of my (new to me) 2010 S hatch. The 2.5 is peppy and fun to drive, don't get me wrong, but I feel like 20-21 is too low for how much I'm babying it (shifts at 2500-2700, never gunning it).

Though from what I've read, the 23 EPA city rating sounds unrealistic and I'm doing about 25/75 city/highway...so maybe my low mileage is in line. And it's been relatively cool outside (average of upper 30s/low 40s).

I did just flush the transmission since I'm not sure when it was done (again, it's new to me) and it was a little dirty; it definitely shifts more smoothly. Maybe this tank will be better. I just thought I'd be getting closer to 25 on a regular basis :frown:

Are there any cheap and/or easy mods that can help with fuel economy?

·
Registered
68 Posts
2006 3sGT MT 87,300mi - Consistent 29-31 MPG City/Hwy (35/65) combined. I keep shifts under 3,000rpm and coast up to lights as much as possible. No downshifting except into fourth on long downhills. All tires at 33 psi. Recent air filter and oil/filter change using 5w20. All factory, no mods.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
@everfeb @CDTMAZDA3 @psychack @drwebster

I'm back! LOL. After how many years.
I bought my wife - well leased, technically - a 2015 CX-5 Touring. It's really nice.
And if any of you remember how frustrated I was with the gas mileage in my '05 3... well we get same or better with an AWD SUV now. How things have changed in the auto world.

Let me know how many of you are still here after all this time. Peace.

·
Registered
11 Posts
***Any assistance with this?*** I been getting worse and worse milage... I just filled it up on Thursday (8/1414) did some city driving (in South Orange County, CA); and i burnt a half tank with only ~97miles since i filled up. The car has become extremely lethargic when I hit the gas. It used to be so resonsive and punchy. Now it sucks gas. It's a 2004 Mazda 3 2.3L with a K&N air filter & new NGK Iridium plugs both put in at 75K, and just had Mobil 1 synthetic put in it 2 weeks ago. Car is not throwing any CEL and only has 89K on the clock. I put Shell Premium gas in it at the last two fill-ups, and it seems to be worse than Chevron Premium. Any thoughts as to what gas is the best to obtain better milage?

·
Registered
11 Posts

I bought my wife - well leased, technically - a 2015 CX-5 Touring. It's really nice.
And if any of you remember how frustrated I was with the gas mileage in my '05 3... well we get same or better with an AWD SUV now. How things have changed in the auto world.

What kind of milage were you getting??? There's over 500 pages in this thread and I wont be able to find your original comments... :bigsmile:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Tommy, I am no expert but I think I read somewhere in here that putting premium gas on our cars isn't a good idea unless you start changing the timing.
I am in a similar situation as you. I would get 350+ miles per tank when driving ~45 non-stop minutes at freeway speeds and ~20 more minutes on city driving when commuting to work. Now I only do ~30 minutes city driving and get ~200 miles before the low fuel light pops up and hitting the half tank mark after doing 85 to 95 miles but then it evens out at the end and gives me 200 miles before getting the low fuel light.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did get my best mileage driving from California to Pennsylvania. Ranging 450 to 500 miles per tank non-stop driving from gas station to gas station at 70MPH. That was back when the car was only 3 years old. I drive an 07 Mz3 2.0L btw.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
What kind of milage were you getting??? There's over 500 pages in this thread and I wont be able to find your original comments... :bigsmile:
05 3 HB w/4spd auto, and I think I struggled to ever get over 25 MPG combined. I was usually in the low 20's most of the time. That's horrible for a compact 4 cyl car.

We're already getting 26 combined and 30 hwy with the AWD CX-5.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

Welcome back Slick! It has been a while...

I still browse this forum once and a while and will have owned my my '05 3i (now with ~ 122k miles) ten years in another six months. She's still reliable and has continued to deliver an average in excess of 38 mpg since purchase.

Glad to hear you're happier with your wife's new CX-5. I checked one out recently when one of my clients drove his to our office. It looks like a nice vehicle and my client has been much happier with the CX's fuel economy vs. the Jeep Grand Cherokee he traded-in.

It's too bad Mazda didn't introduce the Skyactive engines and six-speed transmissions a decade ago when the 1st generation Mazda 3 were first sold in the U.S..

Still have no regrets over choosing my 3i with the pre-vtech/pre-skyactive 2.0 L engine and 5-speed mtx....

Does your wife's vehicle have the 2.0 or 2.5L skyactive?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tommy, I am no expert but I think I read somewhere in here that putting premium gas on our cars isn't a good idea unless you start changing the timing.
I am in a similar situation as you. I would get 350+ miles per tank when driving ~45 non-stop minutes at freeway speeds and ~20 more minutes on city driving when commuting to work. Now I only do ~30 minutes city driving and get ~200 miles before the low fuel light pops up and hitting the half tank mark after doing 85 to 95 miles but then it evens out at the end and gives me 200 miles before getting the low fuel light.

We're getting ~20mpg combined. But now we r experiencing another problem...

Our 2004 Mazda 3 2.3L won't start! We turn the key & all dash lights flash, and both speedo & Tach needles go up and down once, then nothing! Please help direct me to the proper Forum Section for this. 90% of the Threads relevant to me, are like 4 years old or more. And it appears that not many are frequenting this place... 😥

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
After 596 pages looks like this thread is nearly dead. So I guess it's about time for someone to post here again.

As of March 1, 2015 I've owned my '05 3i for 10 years and 128k nearly trouble-free miles. About three weeks ago I performed only the 2nd repair that's been necessary in all that time when with the help of a friend I replaced the passenger-side wheel hub/wheel bearing assembly. Note: the only other repair that's been needed was to also replace driver's-side front wheel bearing/hub assembly a few years ago. Except for normal maintenance (fluids, filters, wiper blades, etc) plus a battery, one set of tires (!) and replacing a few bulbs for the headlights - that's it!

Yesterday I filled up for the 309th time since I drove my car off the dealer's lot. Thanks to the unseasonably cold weather we've been having in central Virginia this winter, the resulting tank average was lower than average for my 3i @ 34.8 mpg (385.5 miles/11.078 gallons). However, my overall average fuel economy over the last ten years has been 38.2 mpg calculated based on 128,045.5 miles driven and 3,352.97 gallons purchased. Average calculated cost per-mile for fuel comes to 7.19 cents based on $9,202.33 spent to purchase 3,352.97 gallons. During the 10 year period the highest price I paid for fuel was $4.029/gallon (7/9/08) and the lowest was $1.459/gallon less than six months later (12/31/08). Surprisingly the 2nd lowest price paid for fuel was realized only a month ago @ $1.829/gallon on 2/2/15.

Sure hated to see the gas prices start an upward climb again...

I've considered replacing my 3i with something else lately simply due to the urge for a change. However, since she continues to be totally reliable, economical and pretty darn good-looking I really have no good reason to do so. Maybe in another 10 years?..or after my kids finish college?

She has been and continues to be a great car!

5941 - 5960 of 5977 Posts