Mazda3 Forums banner

Lost steering

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 1272 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah. I have about 5500 miles on my '05 3s and someone backed into my hood in my schools parking lot.  Made a nice long dent in my hood and scratched the top of my grill. I'll post pics up later, I've been busy dealing with police, school's security, and insurance agent. Sucks cause I noticed the damage on Thurs but its hard to notice so it couldve happened anytime between Sun and the Thurs i found it.  We have cameras set all around the parking lot, so hopefully they caught it on tape. The schools security have been a pain in the you know what cause they are so damn lazy. I told them about it thurs night and they have yet to even start looking at the tapes. It gets better, I told the day shift security about it and they said "this wont get done today since its 48hrs of tape we have to look at"...well i understood so i went to class and all that good stuff.  But when they were about to leave, i asked them if they started looking, and they told me that they THINK the camera monitor they were using didnt have the capabilities to go back into the history...i mean it took them 5 hrs to tell me that, i mean comon.  So i talked with the replacement security guard and he told me to call the head of security b/c he has to approve the reviewing of the tapes...so i call and he left his office for the weekend......MAYBE JUST MAYBE if the damn lazy ass day shift security told me that....i couldve made some progress. Now i have to wait til monday. oh and it gets slightly better, the replacement security ALSO told me that if it happened at night, they really dont have anything because the cameras are horrible at night....now what good does a security camera have if it cant see at night...i mean wtf...I really hate my schools security right now.  :angrypoint:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Re: Hit and Run!!!!

Sounds familiar, my old highschool had dummy cameras everywhere so when cars were getting broken into and people wanted to review the tapes they said no one had legal rights to the tapes and that they had already been taped over all the while maintaining that the cameras were real when it would have been easier to just say they were fake in the first place.

My college I don't believe has any cameras since one girl was attacked by her car and the only description they have is from her, they can put in a ten million dollar pool area but no cameras.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Ultimate Crashed my MZ3 but its NOT totaled thread

This is great, i got into an accident over the weekend

I was on the freeway, 215south in Riverside, the 60east intersection was coming up, so i wanted to merge into the middle lane (i was in the left lane originally). Traffic was slow, i turned on my signal.
As i was merging, i saw this car merging into the same middle lane over my shoulder, he was coming out pretty quickly. So i quickly went back into the left lane, to avoid a side impact.
Little did i know the car in front of me suddenly stops. Didnt stop in time, and i ran into him.

Here is the damage...

Damages so far, ~$4,200 to replace all the panels in the front, they're all bend out of shape.

AND, the frame is damaged, so it's going to be more than ~$4,200

Insurance is paying for this, my first point on my insurance record. I just hope they fix the frame, to the point i won't notice it. (Bend frames will lose some of its integrity even if it's bent back.)   On top of that, i'll have to re-retrofit my headlights, because my headlights needs to be replaced...

People have asked me if i want to total it, the answer is no. I will stick by my Fantastic Blue, wasn't planning on sell it off or trade-it-in in the future, i'm not going to abandon it now. Besides, my premium will go up even more.

Lesson of all of this? No offense but socal drivers are inconsiderate assholes, YOU'RE SAVING ONE DAMN MINUTE! 5 AT MOST!  :rtfm:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re: got into an accident, damaged frame

On Thanksgiving 2005 I ran into the same problem. Thankfully the car came back totalled because if it didn't - never be the same. I think our cars have a weak frame compared to other cars. Well anyway I coming off of RT 46 onto RT 23 in Jersey and some punk idiot lost control and side swipped me. Pushed me into the guard rail and the driver's front rim took all the intial impact. I was going maybe 22mph and he was est 35mph around this off ramp. So he he intial hit my back passengers door, bounced off me and then hit the passengers side 1/4 panel which pushed him into a complete 180 turn. So being wedged up against the guard rail and not being able to get out because my lower back was killing me. Ended up with an L5 herniated disk which sucks to this day. And my baby (2005 s hatch fully loaded with every option - black mica) had a twisted frame, cracked fim at all 5 bolts, cracked axle, snapped the transmission body and fluid was everywhere, and cracked all three motor mounts. The engine ended up laying agaisnt the radiator.. After getting out of the ER we went to take a look at the car. Looked like minor stuff like: new rim, some new paint, scratches, maybe a new front strut, new HID front left headlight etc... When the est came in the rim (which is attached to the whole front end) took the whole impact which bascially snapped everything attached to it. Possibly even a new engine block because they saw some oil leaking from somewhere. So after finding out I need a whole new trans and front suspension they decided to look up prices and said it would cost more to fix the car then to buy a new one (parts + labor). And the body mechanics noticed the frame was twisted and through up a red flag for me. Telling me it seemed weird how such a small impact could create such damage. I'm wondering outside of the braces in the aftermarket - do we have any other ideas to make our frames stronger??? And I'm sorry brotha but your car is never going to be the same. When it comes to frame damge - even a minor sweak will be a result of a fixed frame. And that's the end of this long winded question:

What can we do to make out frames stronger????
1) Braces
2)
3)

·
Registered
321 Posts

i think the front and rear of our car are crumple zones. they're designed to distort to disipate engergy before it reaches the cabin. just the price to pay for a car that's safer where it counts.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts

I don't think you mean the "frame" I think you mean what is called the unibody. That's the squishky stuff, also known as crumple zones. To fix that isn't a big deal. They'll either put it on a rack, pull the crumple out, or cut the crumbled one off, and weld a new one on. That's what it's there for- to absorb the blow.

·
Registered
296 Posts

[quote author=SHINE Man link=topic=41154.msg601176#msg601176 date=1141286084]
so-cal freeways just suck period......
[/quote]
As well as California drivers .

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

My fault for not stopping in time, yes, but his/her fault for not acknowlegding my signal when my car was ahead of his/her's. And that's what triggered it all.

So i just got a call back from the body shop, the guy said the damages to the frame isnt too bad. Total repairs/labors will be $4,300. Estimated repair time... 2weeks, i should have the car back on 3-14-06.

I want to thank everyone who responded.

·
Registered
154 Posts

I know how you feel! I HATE the 215. North or South. One of the (if not THE) worst freeways in California. Unfortunately, it's really the only way in or out of the Inland Empire, without taking a million shortcuts that make it even longer. Hope everything works out...and for some reason, California drivers leave their brains at home when driving, especially on Riverside freeways! Don't get me started on the 91...

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

[quote author=Vanguard link=topic=41154.msg602279#msg602279 date=1141344540]
I know how you feel! I HATE the 215. North or South. One of the (if not THE) worst freeways in California. Unfortunately, it's really the only way in or out of the Inland Empire, without taking a million shortcuts that make it even longer. Hope everything works out...and for some reason, California drivers leave their brains at home when driving, especially on Riverside freeways! Don't get me started on the 91...
[/quote]

Oh yeah, this was probably a mile or two before the worst freeway intersection ever constructed... The point where 215, 60, and the 91 merge together.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

How can you tell that frame is damaged?  Does it affect driving dynamics?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

I didnt get it back yet, but metal can never be bend back to its original shape without some lost of integrity (at least all the metals that i know of). So technically speaking, yes it will affect driving dynamics, hopefully not to be the point where i'll notice it. You have to be really sensitive to the car if you can feel a difference, that's my honest opinion

·
Registered
580 Posts

had the same thing happen a while ago with my van....but ever since i've been aiming the sideview mirrors way out. basically, they only show a car when it's in what is usually thought of as the "blind spot". so no looking over my shoulder when i change lanes. a quick glance at the sideview mirror, and if it's clear i move over. 1/10th sec not looking forward, rather than that 1 second ... crank your body around, look over your should crap....and by the time you have your attention on the road in front of you, it's too late if somebody's braking. much safer method of driving.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts

yo that sucks my car got in accident when it was 2 weeks old and 4000km on the dash my end was done good 7400$CAD to fix...my frame was deformed but they fixed good the car handles like new but my frame was damaged

took 3 weeks to repair the car and the frame to be reshaped took 1 week

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Fantastic Blue is back!

And for the past two weeks i have been driving this piece of crap...

Great commuter's car, damn near 40mpg, fly over bumps and shit like there's no tomorrow with its 80hp @ the wheel, but man the thing was boring as hell...

Now i need to redo my retrofit, ehh i'll do it after finals

1 - 20 of 1272 Posts