Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

For all of you out there enjoying the freedom to drive where the hell you like in the UK take note of the following:

"Subject: TRAVEL TAX - GOVERNMENT PROPOSALS

Not Funny - a chance for you to have a say.

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to
purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it.

The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC,
the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery
driver.

A non working Mum who used her car to take the kids to school paid £86 in
one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax you will be tracked. Somebody will
know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been
going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit in time you can
expect a Notice of Intended Prosecution with your monthly bill.
If you care about our freedom and stopping the constant bashing of the car
driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website (link below) and
pass this on to as many people as possible."

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I really hope thats fake...if not im getting out of this country ASAP. Its bad enough with the CCTV (which ive found isnt so intrusive), speed camera's are bearable because they warn you miles in advanced...but this is the ultimate in big brother technologies...not to mention YOU have to purchase a government mandated piece of equipment...YAY!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No its not a fake, the link is to a genuine petition on a government web site. They've been talking about this for years and it could easily happen soon. I was stopped joining a motorway near to where I live by the police who forced me to be issued a questionnaire. The questions were all along the lines of:

If given the choice would you rather pay £1.20 for a 30 mile journey and arrive on time or arrive 10 minutes late?

There was 3 pages of it. The police had taken my reg plate so I knew I had to complete it and send it back. This is not a joke and could happen. Send my original post to as many UK residents you know and get them to sign the petition. I think its only open to UK resident tax payers though. We need support! :(

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
ya luckily the US goverment reimburses me for taxes i would incur just from being in the UK over the US...but...i would rather plan for 10 more minutes of travel then to pay 1.20 quid every 30 miles. i cover alot of ground every week...and thats unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I am looking for an explanation on this policy. that link only goes into the 'hey put in your petition now against this' i cant find where the explanation of the policy is. help?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=Coulda link=topic=66994.msg1150292#msg1150292 date=1168870374]
I am looking for an explanation on this policy. that link only goes into the 'hey put in your petition now against this' i cant find where the explanation of the policy is. help?
[/quote]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4610755.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/02/nroads02.xml

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/politics/story/0,6903,656107,00.html

These are just a few I've been able to find. I've not located any Government links though. Hope these help a bit.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Everytime i think of this i begin to realize how rediculous it is. The sad part is i dont think my government, who requires me to be here, will protect me at all from it either. Hopefully your Parliment puts a stop to that crap.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your joking, its parliament that wants it!!!!

What the government fails to understand is that the nation runs to a timetable. On average everyone starts work/school at 0900 and finishes at 1700. Therefore people need to be at specific places in time for work, or to get home. I agree that we need to reduce the volume of traffic on British roads but unless a cheep alternative is provided no one is going to leave cars at home. Recently train fairs have increased, result? More people on the roads. At this rate I'll end up buying a hybrid piece of shit or a motorbike.

What they need to do is think about why the roads are busy. Then think of a solution, like encouraging working at home, flexible working hours, change school times and encourage businesses to operate longer hours with more flexible start finish times.

There's other alternatives, the 3 is a 5 door hatch, I never have any more than 2 people in my car. I would prefer a smaller car with a large load capacity instead of rear seats that car share to work. There's so many options instead of another greedy tax on UK motorists!!! :x

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Easy way out...like you guys arent Taxed enough. I make a decent amount...infact i make more than the average american just because the extra amount they have to pay me for me to be able to survive here.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I signed the petition.. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote author=Coulda link=topic=66994.msg1150458#msg1150458 date=1168879981]
Easy way out...like you guys aren't Taxed enough. I make a decent amount...in fact i make more than the average American just because the extra amount they have to pay me for me to be able to survive here.
[/quote]

I know, our Government does like to make it tough for people to live here don't they. Even those of us who have known nothing better or for that matter worse.

I think it would be funny to get a load of Americans to sign the petition, even if they don't have the joy of driving in the UK.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
HAHA get more americans than british... theyd be like... ZOMG boston tea party...why does this shit keep happening to us?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've signed the petition. I have a 94 mile per day round trip to work so I may as well give up work, therefore pay no tax, and claim benefits. I'm getting more and more pissed off with this country. I hope this will be New Labours poll tax.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the answer.... emigration! If the gouverment doesn't want the UK population to be able to afford living here, then lets all bugger off!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts