Mazda3 Forums banner

Turning Radius??

20K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Inno 
#1 ·
hmmm was checking the civic specs just for reference. and it says the sedan's turning radius is 5.6m for curb to curb.

While the mazda3 spec list says 10.4m (sedan)

I'm not quite sure the procedure of this measurement...I thought I knew but the more I think about it the more confused I get.

#3 ·
yeah thats what I figured. and I guess that number is the radius of the turn. but how could the MZ3 be double of that of a civic with similiar dimensions?

then again.. it could increase the "stability" of the car. you know how those usual Japanese cars steer VERY light. and jitter around.

#18 ·
I got something to say...

Having a 5-door, I noticed that the turnign radius to be much better than the Protege5.

Of course, nothing will ever beat the old Honda CRX - at least not in turning radius.

#19 ·
Threads Alive! Actually, compared to German cars (BMW, MB) the turning diameter of 33' is pretty wide. My rent's 87 MB 300E (read huge sedan) can do a U-turn in less than 2 car lanes, a MZ3 takes at least 2.5, just enough to warrant a 3-pointer on a residential street :evil:

#20 ·
I use to drive a little mail jeep, could do it in one lane. That thing rocked - it was so old, I didn't car what I ran into.... trash cans... mailboxes... people.... scratch that.

#21 ·
I just wanted to add that the Protege seems to turn fairly tightly for its size. It is feels much larger than a Civic at speed, yet is just as manuvreable in tight spots. I am able to make certain U-turns that I must 3-point before in my Accord.

#22 ·
I've found that most Accords just can't turn. My friend has a fully loaded '92 Accord, but he still have to make 3-pointers just about everywhere.

#23 ·
2.5 lanes for a U-turn? I pull a U-turn every day for work, and it's about 2 lanes exactly, maybe less. I can't imagine an MBZ land yacht making a tighter turn than an Mz3, other than maybe the long wheelbase helps keep it tight? Anyway, just my two cents, but I love being able to pull a U on a busy street quickly and without holding up traffic.

#25 ·
Also, if you make your U-turn from the left turning lane and there's a divider, that takes up space too. We do have narrow roads in NY. If I made a U-turn on the Long Island Expressway I could do it in 2 lanes, but on a regular residential street it takes a 3 pointer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.