Mazda3 Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
I just wanted to add that the Protege seems to turn fairly tightly for its size. It is feels much larger than a Civic at speed, yet is just as manuvreable in tight spots. I am able to make certain U-turns that I must 3-point before in my Accord.

I've found that most Accords just can't turn. My friend has a fully loaded '92 Accord, but he still have to make 3-pointers just about everywhere.

2.5 lanes for a U-turn? I pull a U-turn every day for work, and it's about 2 lanes exactly, maybe less. I can't imagine an MBZ land yacht making a tighter turn than an Mz3, other than maybe the long wheelbase helps keep it tight? Anyway, just my two cents, but I love being able to pull a U on a busy street quickly and without holding up traffic.

Also, if you make your U-turn from the left turning lane and there's a divider, that takes up space too. We do have narrow roads in NY. If I made a U-turn on the Long Island Expressway I could do it in 2 lanes, but on a regular residential street it takes a 3 pointer.

Dunno for sure, but the wheelbase is the same for both so probably.

I have you all beat. My bother has a 1991 Honda Prelude with four wheel steering. Those Preludes were small back then and if you think a Denali can turn tight you should see his car in action!

[Edit] - I just looked it up and actually the 1991 Honda Prelude only has a 2.6 feet smaller turning radius than the 2004 Mazda3.

'91 Honda Prelude with 4WS - 31.5 feet
'04 Mazda3 - 34.1 feet

Not bad Mazda! Oh yeah, the specs say it is the same for the Sedan and the Hatchback (same wheelbase)

1988 volvo 740 gle. my dad's car can turn on a DIME. it's so crazy, open the hood and there's this 2.0L 4 cylinder engine with enough room left to fit a few kids. TONS of wheel well room.

i don't know the radius measurements, but with a car that's almost 16 feet long, i've never seen anything that comes close to what the car can do. my 95 civic does it in 32.8, and the volvo trumps that easy.

Dru,
The turning radius of civic is 5.6m, while our MZ3's curb-to-curb is 10.4m.

Here's the difference...the curb-to-curb measurement is the diameter of the turning circle, which is double of the radius (Math stuff).

So MZ3's turning radius is 5.2m compared with civic's 5.6m, or if u compare curb-to-curb civic's is 11.2m and MZ3's 10.4m....which is a LOT tighter =)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.